"Blue Underground will reissue a slew of Italian horror"

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Eh, I don't like City of the Living Dead enough to buy a region free player, and then seek out the Italian DVD. I kinda enjoyed the grain on my old Creature Features tape, only thing was that it was too dark.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I never noticed how "bad" the AB COTLD release looked. In fact, when I rented it when it was new to VHS I was amazed with how crisp it looked, so much so that I immediately ordered the DVD online. Now, I'm sure that now that it's 6 or so years down the line it could be improved upon and look better, but there's no way, no how, that anybody is going to be able to convince me that it looks "bad". At least not sufficiently so for me to consider upgrading.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  3. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Agreed. I think the grain adds to the atmosphere!

4. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

More news:
    http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=3480

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

zzZzzZ

6. Noto

Noto Guest

Exactly.

7. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I'll probably pick up House By the Cemetery.

8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Hmmm, all kinds of treats from BU for me to be picking up in the coming months.

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Blue Underground are basically going under at this point, and this isn't going to help. If Deep Red has the 90 minute version then maybe - maybe. Otherwise, I have all those.

10. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I missed alot of these releases when the first hit shelves, so all of these will be a treat for me. Sad news about the possible fate of Blue Underground though. They're one of my favorite labels. :cry:

11. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

Is there any reason to double-dip on any BU reissues? Are they the exact same discs?

12. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Oh NO!!! This is one of the main companies I buy just about everything sight unseen and the reason I even own a DVD player!:eek:

13. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

I see no reason to double dip.Seems to me they're just "cleaning up" and make a quick buck and call it a day.

14. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Only difference is 16X9.

15. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

At least the new Deep Red cover art is better than the previous release:

[​IMG]

16. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--Oh NO!!! This is one of the main companies I buy just about everything sight unseen and the reason I even own a DVD player!--

Sorry mate, they've been on the outs for a while now. You'd better be looking to Code Red and the like to give you your fixes now.

I won't be rebuying a disc for a new cover. Sorry. :(

17. Noto

Noto Guest

Which releases weren't 16x9 to start with. There may be a couple worth upgrading.

18. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Just a thought - most of the posts on this thread are shredding BU for just re-releasing old titles. I also notice that the amount of old school horror titles being released by niche companies is dwindling fast (as are the companies themselves). I have a bad feeling that criticizing a company like BU for reissuing title to make money (I mean that is the point of the company, to make money) and criticizing fine points (like 2 seconds of missing gore or slight misframimg) and then saying that we won't buy is scaring off all these companies that aren't making much money in the first place. I'll take Deep Red with freeze-frame end credits over no Deep Red, etc.

I am as guilty as anyone in this - but has anyone else noticed the drop off in new euro/older horror titles? Could we be part of the problem?

Again - I am as guilty as anyone - just throwing out the question for debate's sake...

19. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

I don't really think that the companies look into forums to much.

Maybe they do. I just don't think so. If they did read these kinds of things, I think they would come out, post, and defend their stance and position.

Having said that, I know DVdmaniacs has some companies signed up with them.

20. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

OK, so everybody here, myself included, is a big horror DVD geek. We've all got many of these titles already and were looking forward to improved transfers, extra features, etc. It's not happening this time around, but that's no reason to go all ape-shit on BU. There are a bunch of kids out there who were 12 or so years old when all these films were first coming out on DVD back in 2000 and now they're going to have a chance to pick them up themselves. Or maybe YOU just waited and never got around to picking up one of these classics. Anyways, good for BU for keeping these ones in circulation so you don't have to pay exorbitant amounts of money for them on Ebay.

I'm just pissed because the only one I wanted an inexpensive reissue of, Torso, didn't get it. Ah well........