Blumhouse's Black Christmas - December 13th, 2019

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by CPT HOOK, Jun 13, 2019.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I shut my phone off for 2 hours to go see Rocketman this afternoon, and when I turned it back on social media had exploded with the news that Blumhouse is remaking Black Christmas again.

[​IMG]

Me thinks they hired the same P&A person who did the posters for the Child's Play remake, their Halloween reboot, Happy Death Day 2U, etc. They all look exactly the same. I feel like there's some P&A guy wandering Hollywood like that sleazy choreographer guy from Bring It On who sells them all the same routine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway, this one is from the director of Always Shine and New Year, New You. I'm expecting lots of female jealousy and bickering.

They should have looked into casting India Eisley, but instead they went with Imogen Poots. Don't get me wrong, I like Imogen Poots, but that could have been a fun tie to the original.

I'm always game for a fun R-rated slasher film, even a remake, but Blumhouse's take on the slasher genre so far has been incredibly mild. I'm not sure the subgenre is a great fit for them, but I'm sure it's making them a lot of money.

Natas and Cooperkill like this.
  2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well I'm definitely interested in this. I really didn't like the last remake and have found the original hasn't aged well, though I love elements from it.

3. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I enjoy Imogen Poots' name.

Myron Breck likes this.
  4. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

I'm in. I love the original and like the remake.

5. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Active Member

This seems to have snuck up on me, never heard anything and it comes out in 6 months! Very cool. I really enjoy the original and I liked the remake. wonder what direction this will take

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Really wish the 2006 remake would get a bluray release in the USA!

7. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

As a scary movie, the original has really aged well for me (much more than the original Halloween tbh) so I don't expect much from this.

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Sigh, I'll check it out on disc. No matter how bad or boring it might (and probably will) be, I'll be cradling my original every December with a smile on my face.

9. CPT HOOK

Natas and fceurich39 like this.
  10. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Well, that's one hell of a spoiler packed trailer...

11. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

Looks terrible. I'll see it anyway, but I won't be in a rush.

12. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

This somehow looks worse than the 2006 remake. I've long become tired of the Blumhouse's approach to horror, but I feel I'm beginning to loath them.

13. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Trailer show A LOT, beware!

Katatonia and Steel76 like this.
  14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Heeded. I briefly scanned through it with audio off, so I'll reserve judgement until I see it. I hate when trailers want to show virtually everything...it's just idiotic when they pull that. Also I've noticed when horror trailers tend to do that they often bomb at the box office.

I am intrigued by it however. The original is one of my top 5 horror films ever, and the first "remake" was strangely enjoyable also.

Steel76 likes this.
  15. Steel76

Yeah I like it too, especially the longer and gorier version, including alternate and more brutal kills, that we got here in Europe :)

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

We got the unrated version on DVD here, but sadly the unrated version isn't included on any of the Blu-rays worldwide. The Canadian and German Blu-rays are all the cut R-Rated version.

17. Steel76

The Euro version is a bit different than the Unrated:

"The European version features different and more violent kills and the complete hospital showdown has been re-cut completely.
    • In the European version Billy dies on an operating table as doctors try unsuccessfully to revive him.
    • Leigh (Kristen Cloke) is taken to the morgue to ID Agnes and finds Clair's (Leela Savasta's) remains in the body bag marked for Agnes. Leigh returns to Kelli's ('Katie Cassidy''s) room to find Agnes hiding in the bed pretending to be her. Agnes attacks Leigh and snaps her neck. Kelli returns from getting X-rays done, is attacked by Agnes and kills her by shocking her to death with a defibrillator.
    • Kelli is picked up by her parents and leaves the hospital and the camera zooms in on a PEACE ON EARTH sign hanging on a door.
    • In the US version Billy drops down through a ceiling tile after Agnes is killed and chases after Kelli. Kelli breaks the window to her room and runs out into the hallway with Billy close behind. He fights with her before ending up falling over a railing and being impaled on the star on top of a Christmas tree in the lobby below."

I had the unrated HD-DVD, a decade ago, but I still got the Swedish Uncut DVD.
    Gotta check if it's the unrated, or the Euro cut.
    A bit confusing :D

Katatonia and fceurich39 like this.
  18. CPT HOOK

All of the alternate endings are included on the US DVD. There are multiple variations of the hospital ending. I prefer the one on the US cut, where Billy is chasing Katie Cassidy down the hall stabbing her. He ends up impaled on the hospital Christmas tree.

The other big difference is the Michelle Trachtenberg kill. I think the UK version has her getting a bag over her head and dragged down the hall (also included separately on the US DVD). The US version, she wrestles free from the bag, there's a bit of a chase scene that ends with her getting scalped by an ice skate. Again, I prefer the US version.

The big difference between the US theatrical and the US Unrated is that Crystal Lowe's death scene is missing in the theatrical. I believe that scene is also MIA in the UK cut?

Steel76 likes this.
  19. Steel76

Yeah I think that was in the Euro cut as well.
    I need to watch the DVD again, and compare them. :)

20. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well that trailer seemed kind of shit. Why call this Black Christmas when it looks like it's about a Cult and not a crazy, unknown maniac called Billy?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019