Blumhouse's Black Christmas - December 13th, 2019

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by CPT HOOK, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

2. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Thought the same thing. The killer is gonna be female, guaranteed.

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Saw a YouTube review last night that also said it was boring. I must say, that was one criticism I wasn't expecting from this movie. I thought it might at least be enjoyably bad.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

If you've seen the trailer, you already know who the killer is...

Anyway, caught the early show today and had the entire theater to myself. First off, this is a compromised PG-13 and it shows. The killer appears behind a character, cut to black, we assume they're dead. If there is an actual kill, it cuts away at the moment of impact. When a dead body is found and the chair spins around ala Psycho, it cuts to the characters reaction and never shows the body. Punchlines that end with swear words are cut off before the word is said. There's a black goo substance throughout the movie, and I imagine the movie colored a lot of the blood black in post to get away with the PG-13.

As for the movie itself, I went in disconnecting it from the original movie and the last remake, and just expected a tepid PG-13 slasher movie. For the first hour or so, that's exactly what I got. During this part of the movie, they go hard after frat-boy culture and the hypocrisy of higher education, and I was on-board for that. There was a lot of truth to it, and it's tied intrinsically to the plot so it didn't feel forced.

Then somewhere around the half-way mark, this movie just goes completely off the rails and becomes a hot mess. Truly one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. The final act of this movie is so outrageously stupid, I just kind of stared in disbelief. This is also the chunk of the movie where it stops playing fair with its gender politics. Have you ever seen one of those movies where the main character suddenly figures everything out without explanation? This is that movie. They're driving in a car, and the main girl just blurts out a huge exposition dump that explains everything that is happening, even though she doesn't have enough information to draw such conclusions.

Definitely a misfire, and another Blumhouse movie where the trailer gives away just about everything. Still, I found it less boring than the new Rambo and less bland/forgettable as Countdown.

As for its ties to the original, the only one I noticed is that the sorority cat is now Claudette instead of Claude. Stay through the beginning of the end credits and you'll get an additional scene with Claudette the cat. Though I imagine most of you will want to get out of that theater as quickly as possible.

5. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Will wait for bluray! Maybe it will get a unrated version.

6. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Sounds like you took one for the team. Appreciate ya. Neeexxt

7. CPT HOOK

Was expected to make $10-$12 million this weekend, but it's looking like it might not even clear $5 million.

Largest audience demo in attendance is men over 25.

8. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I just read the spoilers.......... Absolutely fucking retarded. Makes me appreciate the 06 remake even more.

hey Sophia.....

2634736857_48b03661b8_z.jpg

Hahahahahha

Steel76 likes this.
  9. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

You rarely see a Cinemascore this low. Of the 27 other flicks currently showing scores on their homepage, only 1 other got a score lower than B-.

https://www.cinemascore.com/

10. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

11. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Good to hear.
    They deserve to loose their money.

Zombie Dude and x666x like this.
  12. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Fantastic news (in the sense that it's highly unlikely we'll get another POS "Black Xmas" movie next year)

Seriously, if you haven't already......read a spoiler review. You'll get a good laugh.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  13. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I can't say I'm upset. I'm glad to be honest. I want to support horror where possible, this was not one of those times.

Can we now get away from these heavy political agenda movies and, I don't know maybe get back to making films that are fun again!

Natas and Steel76 like this.
  14. shape22

I'd love to think this will be a lesson to studios, but it took a long time to turn the Titanic. People want to be entertained, not lectured. It's especially stupid when you're lecturing THE PEOPLE WHO TRADITIONALLY ARE YOUR TARGET AUDIENCE. I don't really get it. Some guys watch rom coms, and some women like slasher films, but offending the majority of your audience is always a dumb idea.

15. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Went to see the first showing today and shared the theater with two other people. I had already heard the film was cut quite a bit to drop it to the PG-13 so I wasn't expecting anything violent. The trailer definitely spoiled any suspense the film could have had by showing most of the killings and the supernatural angle. At just over 90 minutes the movie goes by quickly enough but there really isn't anything that makes me want to recommend others see it. Honestly unless an unrated blu-ray version comes out I couldn't imagine ever sitting through this film again.

16. CPT HOOK

The more this movie sits with me, the more grossed out I am by it. In the final act, feminism turns into misandry and the movie asserts that they're the same thing. I'm sure the response to this is, well, look at the history of misogyny in cinema, but at what point do we all do better? That's a lame excuse.

Maybe I was reading a little too much into this, but I also got the impression that the movie was suggesting that rape victims deserve what happened to them for being compliant to the patriarchy? That's more than a little problematic.

In other news, I saw Knives Out this afternoon. Now there is a fun movie with clever political allegory. I loved it! Go see that instead.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  17. shape22

This is the thing. Too many of these "equality" messages have nothing to do with equality. They simply argue for an inverse power structure.

18. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Thank you!

Slasher genre especially. People like us who enjoy watching fictitious people being hacked to bits in violent ways......take your political agenda elsewhere.

hots4 and Steel76 like this.