BoardingHouse 30th Anniversary DVD

Discussion in 'General' started by Chomp, Feb 28, 2013.

1. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Just finished the original version. A bizarre mess of a film but I can't deny I had fun with it. Some great SOV gore here and that Jim is a p-i-m-p.

Zombie Dude, good luck :)

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

:lol: Thanks mate, I think I'll need it!

After Chomp's post I'm worried about sitting through the DC :nervous:

3. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Wrote this one up today -- hope it isn't too redundant if I post it here!

In one of the more unexpectedly essential double-dips of recent memory, Slasher//Video serve up John Wintergate's BOARDINGHOUSE (aka HOUSEGEIST, 1983) in a packed special edition! Leopard print-thonged Jim inherits the Hoffman House, a California homestead with a hidden history of bloodshed. Realizing he'll need some help with the bills, he places an ad in the paper and begins filling vacancies with a varied assortment of '80s Valley babes. It's pool parties, meditation freak-outs, telekinesis and casual murder, climaxing with a house-warming shindig / psychic showdown. It's like a teen sex comedy with the occasional mental-power disembowelment.

Remastering the film from its original tapes to fix the problematic dark levels of the previous Code Red release, the disc also features a bonus extended cut that clocks in a full hour longer! I can't even imagine. Other supplements include commentary, interviews, music videos, trailers, galleries... they even have the hilariously obnoxious original "beeping" intro that was on the 35mm print I saw! Essential stuff for bizarro film connoisseurs worldwide.

DVD:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...eASIN=B00CF8WINC&linkCode=as2&tag=cinema09-20

Trailer:
    http://youtu.be/y0tf_xxEGLU

[​IMG]

4. bruce h

5. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I wonder what this movie looked like in 35 MM...crazy!

6. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

I saw it on 35mm years ago. Suprisingly the transfer to 35mm really covers up the fact that it was shot on video making it a more expensive looking film.

7. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    That just amazes me. A few years ago I had a rolled one sheet poster that I couldn't even give away on Ebay. I chucked it in the trash. I should have held on to it.
    What an intriguing film...I've still not ventured to check it out yet although I fondly recall the trailers on my old VHS tapes of Gates of Hell and Funeral Home. ;)

8. Zombie Dude

Damn. I would have liked that poster. I guess you just never know with these things though.

9. Zombie Dude

Got my copy in the mail today. I think I might give it a spin now.

10. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to figure out how in hell I sat through this for 3 hours. I love this movie but hot diggity I doubt I will ever re-watch the directors cut.

11. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I just got mine in the mail today. Can't wait to check it out again. It's been YEARS since I've seen it. I'll stick with the version I know for now, not sure when I'll be physically and mentally prepared for the aural and ocular assault of the director's cut.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  12. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I tried watching the DC with the commentary on and couldn't finish it. The video transitions got incredibly annoying very fast.

I'll stick with the regular cut.

13. Zombie Dude

Well I've watched the theatrical cut and thought it was a lot better than people were making out. The effects are pretty good and the characters are somewhat interesting. It has a charm that grows on you as it progresses. I'll probs check out the DC on the weekend.

14. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

The commentary track was much better on the code red disc. I found the new commentary track to be a total borefest. Everyone sounds bored and tired with absolutely no energy. Even the interview was better and had some good info. The new interview seemed like an infomercial for Boarding House 2. Honestly no matter how hard they would try it would flat out suck. Sorry it's not 1980 anymore and people are no longer the same. The way of life and pop culture of today is retarded. Boarding House 2 would be a bunch of bimbo's texting each other.

15. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Nothing is organic anymore please don't make Boarding House 2.

16. bruce h

17. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw the movie for the very first time, a few days ago, and I was expecting something as bad as "Sledgehammer", but this actually almost felt like a REAL movie. Sure, it´s a mess, but still fun, compared to most SOV movies. Though I wish I could punch the director in the face for adding those horrible video FX that pop up from time to time ;)

18. RickMoe

RickMoe New Member

I haven't heard the new commentary yet, but I have to agree the CODE RED DVD is better in some respects.

The biggest being that there's way too much compression on the SLASHER // VIDEO disc. Blocky artifacts throughout both the original cut & the director's version. I immediately compared it to the Code Red release and indeed - no artifacts with Code Red. There's a ton more extras on the Slasher // Video release and it's definitely worth getting for that reason alone... but the Code Red DVD is superior in video presentation (even though it's slightly darker). I frankly think the interview on the Code Red disc is more informative too. Sure the Code Red interview is shot amateurishly, but the sound quality on Slasher // Video's interview is terrible - just the camera mic from 8 feet away.

Definitely buy Slasher // Video, BUT HANG ON TO THOSE CODE REDS!

I gotta say though, Slasher // Video is a Godsend. Their releases have blown my mind every time - and there's no compression issues on CEMETERY SISTERS or either DEATH NURSE disc. Just feels like they should have went 2 discs on BOARDINGHOUSE rather than compress everything to 1 dual layer.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, I noticed the compression artifacts too...it was quite apparent at times. They just shoved way too much material onto a single dual-layer disc, and it really should've been a 2 disc release to minimize that. Other than that criticism though, it's a solid release overall.

20. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Meh...I am sticking with the Slasher Video disc...the compression artifacts are minimal. The Code Red disc is just too damn dark...looks nothing like the Paragon VHS...plus you can see tracking lines on the bottom of the transfer.

But I do think the SV release should have been a two-discer.