Body Count (1987)

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Hellbilly, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Body Count is your typical late 80's Italian horror (slasher) trying
    so hard to be American. You have your obnoxious teen actors who all look
    like fake Americans doing all sorts of silly, stupid and unlogical things.
    Same goes for the lines they speak, (partly) cheesy dubbed dialogues that
    will either make you do this :eek2: that :hum: or that :lol:

Anyhoo,

Plot: A few teens decide to go camping but yow, the camp site is haunted by some freaky Indian killing them off one by one.

Director Ruggero Deodato was obviously inspired by the F13th
    flicks and there's actually a little decent slasher hidden underneath this
    cheesy cheesefest. The killings are well executed, there's some (brief) gore
    and blood splattering, one halfway decent jump scare and a few nicely shot scenes of (female) victims tumbling through the
    forest. The rest is a mix of swiss 'n' goofs.
    For example there's one scene showing a long haired blond dude falling from a mountain, and as he bounces down the hill you can clearly see (close up!) it's a stuntman with short dark hair. The opening has a "15 years later" sequence and when they later recall the incident they say it was "12 years" ago ... but hey, this all adds up to the silly fun and charm of Body Count. Other stuff to expect:

The immortal David Hess barking his lines and having one very dramatic
    (bad) scene with his wife (Mimsy Farmer) because she's in love with Charles Napier (playing the Sheriff who has a "thang" for teddybears I think).

Great WTF? moment: chick on the run from the killer hides in an abandonend bathhouse. First thing she does is taking off her sweater. Nothing wrong with that I suppose (it's a bathhouse after all) but why take off your sweater when your stalked by a crazy killer?

Boobies: lots of 'em.

Chicks: one does Aerobic to horrible muzak, another has a (badly dubbed) "southern" accent :D

Fat geeky guy: he's in this for comic relief but the stuff he does is really not that funny. He has a serious moment though, admitting he's a big fan of Iron Maiden which is very hard to believe.

[​IMG]

e-m-s (Germany) released this on DVD (PAL/Code 2). Presented in fool screen, Body Count has an ok transfer. Image appears to be sharp, night scenes can be very dark indeed though. There's some grain and dirt but nothing too distracting. Audio: English 2.0 mono does the job. Extras: Deodato bio and trailers for other e-m-s movies.

2. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

i'm very fond of this , and i like the score

3. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Damn, I read all of that and then at the end find out it is PAL :(

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I've still got this one on an order to ship from EzyDVD in Australia. About $10 shipped, guess I can wait for it to get back in stock!

5. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Is there an Australian DVD? or did you order the German one?

6. Katatonia

This is the Aussie DVD release of Body Count: http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/229293

Finally got this one in the mail yesterday. As with other recent Magna titles, it comes in a normal sized DVD clear case with a chapter listing on the outside insert backing. No extras at all. The transfer and sound look pretty decent, nothing to write home about...but for under $11 (including shipping) I really can't complain.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

This still affects you? Hope you get region free for X-Mas, you should be ashamed you're not already. Most Canadian stripper transexual necro-beastiality films are only available in PAL format! Why prevent yourself from your favorite genre? :D

8. Semerrill

Semerrill Member

is the au version uncut

9. Katatonia

Yes it is. Hardly anything released in Australia is cut from what an Aussie friend told me once. He could be wrong... but nothing I've ever bought from there has ever been cut. UK imports are the ones that you have to look out for being cut.

10. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Yeah we don't get as many cut releases as we used to, but we do still have titles banned outright:

http://www.refused-classification.com/Films_G.htm#GoreGoreGirls

I'm astounded that HG Lewis films are still having problems with the OFLC! Thank goodness for internet shopping and Something Weird!

11. FYI, Body count was filmed in Fullscreen, so it will never be available widescreen unless it is matted, in which picture info will be lost.

12. youthief

youthief Member

delete

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  13. The artwork for Camp Fear is most likely a rip from the Body Count artwork.

14. evileye

evileye Member

Yeah, the AU is uncut. I picked it up for giggles. Not bad, but not at the tops of the list either. Off to EBAY it goes!

15. Shokk

Shokk Lord Of The Thighs

Not bad for a Friday The 13th italian style knock off. Very nice genre cast as well. The chubby comic relief character hung around for much too long..he should have been the first to die.

16. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

it's at the top of my list for zip.ca. should be seeing it in the next week or so. hope it's as bad as Hellbilly says...:)