Body Double (1984) - August 13th from Twilight Time

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by CPT HOOK, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Why do you always wait till the last damn second? :eek2:

2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I see Sexy Beast shipped today - so excited to watch it on blu - I doubt that one sells out very quick though- probably be a while

3. cjg

cjg Active Member

My copy shipped today to

4. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I've been on tour for 3 weeks and was just recently able to slip my brain back in through my ear.

5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Dammit. I missed out on Body Double... Sold out on SAE. They have a few left at the TCM store, but I'm not paying $23 just for shipping to Canada.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  6. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

$40.90? Umm, no. Fuck Twilight Time.

7. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

People are straight up exploiting the hardcore cult/horror film collector these days. I have no problems paying higher prices for a film when it comes straight from a director (like Remote Control or The Room). However, when labels are charging $40 dollars for ONE film knowing hardcore collectors will snatch it up it's bullshit.

"Scream Factory" does this too, charging $23 bucks (!) for one horror film while Shout Factory (the same company) will charge $14 for a non-horror film. You'd think that since demand for physical copies of films has decreased prices would drop yet here we are.

8. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

900 more copies recently showed up on SAE site, so if you thought you missed out here's your last chance. No clue where those copies came from from, but I see them with my now working cart trick.:)

9. deepred

deepred Member

I agree. What's funny is a lot of horror fans support being exploited with we are lucky we are even getting the movie on blu-ray at all so pay it or don't. There were tons of fans on blu-ray.com that were saying fans were lucky they are getting the entire Friday the 13th series on blu-ray. I'm thinking really, people are lucking to get one of the most profitable horror series on blu-ray - aren't WB lucky that they have the rights to a profitable series that fans are eager to buy? :confused: When did consumers lose respect for themselves and become more concerned that the distributors make their quick buck than being concerned about getting a quality product at a fair price? It just seems so backwards.

10. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

No one is being exploited. TT and Shout are providing a product and consumers have the choice to buy it or not buy it. In the case of BODY DOUBLE, it appears that $30 was too cheap.

Myself, I would buy all of Scream Factory's releases if they could be had for under $13. But since most of them are $20, I've only bought 3.

11. deepred

deepred Member

I personally don't like TT's practice of grabbing in demand titles and selling them at high price points in limited print runs. Maybe exploitation is the wrong word but it just seems crappy. I also didn't like paying for a steelbook for Synpases' Demons release (when I just wanted the movie in a standard case) but I hope that release actually was created to help the company get more titles and not a practice they repeat.

I personally love SF and that's why I didn't quote that part in my response. They obviously spend a lot of time making extra special features which warrants their price point imo.

:confused:

12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

that's not 100% correct. the special edition releases from scream factory tend to be about $20 (I've pre-ordered almost all the ones I've bought on amazon.ca, and at some point they all drop to $19.99), which you could argue is too much. personally, I feel like i'm getting my moneys worth when I pay that amount. however, their non-SE releases, like The Incredible Melting Man, usually bottom out at $14.99, and some even lower. I think I paid around $12 for The Vampire Lovers.

13. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

If you remember just a few years ago a "special edition" release would be the same price as any other release from the same label. I personally don't think a slip cover and some extras warrant a $7 dollar increase from "regular" releases as companies have been doing special editions for 15 years or so without price increases.

Even great labels like Synapse slap a few extras on an existing title (Document of the Dead) and sell it for $30 bucks + shipping because it's a "limited run". The hardcore fans will go bonkers and buy it up of course, but I can't help think that they're being taken advantage of. Sure people will look to make a quick buck off of those passionate about their hobbies but that doesn't make it right.

14. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

you're right about what it was like 15 years ago, I think. but that was mostly the major studios doing stuff like that, wasn't it? for better or for worse, companies like Shout (Scream), Synapse, etc, have adopted the Criterion business model. pricing their releases based on the supplementary material, packaging, etc. I mean, Criterion is even worse about it. A film like The Man Who Knew Too Much is public domain, isn't it? So how are they justified in selling it for $40? they're not, really. but the market will bear it. I agree that the attitude of "we should be grateful that anybody is releasing this at all" is ass-backwards, although its an easy one to fall into. but I would guess that slightly elevated prices for a film like The Howling or The Fog probably balances out those releases that maybe don't turn a huge profit (I would imagine that something more obscure like Death Valley didn't sell like gangbusters, although I might be wrong). So who knows, if they brought their prices down by $5/title, they might achieve better market penetration on select titles, but they might not have enough revenue to justify some of the other films. This isn't me justifying the practice, btw, just making an attempt (based on guess-work) to explain it.

15. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Mine shipped today.

816 left :p

16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

816? I like to know if there was really more than 3000 to begin with.

17. deepred

deepred Member

Apparently, there is no limit for the last 900 that mysteriously appeared. So if anyone wants one, you should probably bite now before the scalpers swoop in.

Maybe they are taking some tips from Full Moon. ;)

18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Where the eff is my shipping notice! :cry:

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

People seem to have already forgotten the video industry just before 2008 when a bunch of specialty outfits folded up shops. Too many mediocre films getting too many extras with not a high enough price tag. It collapsed.

If you want the people who produce these films, produce these extras and distribute these films to be able to eat you've got to accept a reasonable price tag. $40.00 realistically isn't going to force you to sell the farm. If it is buying Blu-ray's is the least of your worries right now.

However with those price points we should expect a certain level of quality. While Synapse Films does a great job of quality Twilight Time and Shout pretty much go with what they get. It's a two way street. If Twilight Time and Shout are asking high prices they need to deliver high quality.

20. deepred

deepred Member

I haven't forgot what happened to companies in 2008 but I couldn't buy movies like I do if they were $40 each. I don't think it means I am in financial ruin but I think that's a little steep and would actually double the price of SF titles now. $25-30 seems more appropriate to me if it has all the bells and whistles. Different people have different budgets and while $40 might not cause someone to sell the farm, it could be a huge chunk of the little disposable income they have.

In the Demons situation, I would have been fine paying $30 for a regular edition but I have to fork over an extra $15 for the steelbook case that I could care less about.

Then you have people saying the transfers for the Elm Street blu-ray boxset are fine since you can get it for $30. I would much rather have had new transfers done and had the boxset be quadruple the amount. I will pay a high price for quality but I won't pay at all for poor quality.

It is what it is I guess.