Body Double (1984) - August 13th from Twilight Time

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by CPT HOOK, Apr 2, 2013.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The problem is that the industry made the mistake of undervaluing their properties and they've screwed themselves with everybody now thinking that $25 per film is "too much" and the market is flooded with used discs. You think $50 is too much? If releases followed the general rate of inflation like virtually everything else in our economy than a simple DVD should be four times that amount. By extention, more people would be also going to the movie theater and helping to support Hollywood rather than waiting the three months until buying discounted rental copies.

2. deepred

deepred Member

Maybe physical media should just be reserved for the 1%. ;)

I'd love to see how people would react if titles started averaging $50+ a pop with the Friday the 13th boxset being retailed at $600.

I think Columbia House is to blame! :cry:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  3. maybrick

That is precisely how they've screwed themselves. They cut the price thinking that they would make it up in bulk. That math works for a while, but they never took into account that the market would be flooded, people would run out of shelf space, and stop buying. There is no going back now.

I remember a time when people would be GLAD to pay that little for a quality F13 boxset.

4. deepred

deepred Member

Glad to pay that little? So $1,000 would have been reasonable back in the day? I don't recall the Nightmare boxset being anywhere near $600 when DVDs were profitable. I definitely think movies are cheaper than they should be but I also don't think that means they should be on the other end of the spectrum either.

5. maybrick

I was referring to formats older than DVD, my young one. ;)

6. deepred

deepred Member

Lol - ah yes. The VHS days where if you lost Leprechaun on tape, the video store would charge you like $90! I am glad those days are long gone!

7. maybrick

:lol:

It had it's moments, but I can't argue. It still doesn't change the truth behind what I say, though. Even if home video release prices remained stagnant at $90 for the past 30 years, it would still be considered a net loss of overall value against the rate of inflation during that same period. With that in mind, $20 is nutty.

8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Weren't laserdiscs like $60-70? Why is everyone complaining that a blu ray is $35?

~Matt

9. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Because on average the most people are willing to spend on blu rays is $20. Anything above are over that amount to them is a rip off. Plus this isn't 1988 laserdisc/VHS era this is $20 max blu ray era. I ended buying this myself cause I really enjoy this film. Anyone else buying it for collecting or completest sake doesn't want to blow $40 on 1 Blu. Plus today the economy sucks balls today unlike the 80's when living large and excess was king. Hell the reason the States is in debt is in part thanks to the imbecile banks giving out too many loans in the 80's. Back then when you filed chapter 11 you didn't have to pay money back. You can thank all the Cherry Hills living Beverly Hills living pricks for that. So in short HELL YEAH I understand why people say hell no to $40 for a blu ray.

10. deepred

deepred Member

What Dobby said and also I never got into the Laserdisc craze - I never liked the idea of flipping my movie like a pancake when it's half-way done.

I remember growing up I spent between $10-30 on VHS tapes. In the Columbia House days, all of their new release VHS's were at most $29.95. I then went to the DVD format which was initially between the $20-30 mark. I have no problem paying $25-30 (maybe even more as I stated I bought Demons) for a blu-ray and was surprised how quick even blu-rays ended up in $5 bins. But when you have other small companies giving you more bang for your buck, TT just seems like weak sauce IMO.

11. maybrick

Or to put it far more simply, people have become extremely spoiled in expecting more for less.

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

If people who want it for collecting or completist reasons are the same people who complain about the price, tough shit for them. Then don't be a collector. If they're so concerned about these discs costing them so much money, maybe they shouldn't be buying every single blu-ray release of every movie. People who actually enjoy the film and appreciate it will have a shot at getting the release. Collect what you want, but there's a price to pay for being a "completist" or "collector". I love this movie and had no problem paying $40 for it. Clearly I'm not alone, 3000 other people felt the same way.

Yeah I'll shell out $40 for these blu-rays. Why? Because it's not like every title that Twilight Time releases is everyone's fav movie. Of all the titles they've released, I've only wanted to purchase maybe 4 of them: Fright Night, Christine, The Fury (which I held out on and now Arrow is releasing a special edition) and now Body Double. So what? Every once in a while you have to shell out $35 for a blu-ray. It more than makes up for the amazon sale prices that you paid for all the other discs in your collection.

I'm just so sick of people bitching and complaining about everything. "This price isn't low enough", "This cover art sucks I'm not buying this release." If you have a problem with the price, don't buy it. Someone else surely will. People were complaining that $100 was outrageous for the Friday the 13th collection. There are 12 fucking films, I paid $25.99 for Friday the 13th on DVD back in 1999. At that rate, this set should be $311.88 + tax. You're getting a deal here and if you don't want it, fine. Don't buy it.

~Matt

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  13. deepred

deepred Member

Wow ... I've heard people complain about cover art but never say they wouldn't purchase a title because of it.

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Take a stroll over to the blu-ray.com forums. You wouldn't believe what people complain about.

~Matt

15. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I don't believe "shut up, stop being poor and shell out $40 bucks for a dying media" is really constructive in this particular situation. If anything we as fans/collectors/enthusiasts should be intolerant for paying crazy prices for what we love.

But I will agree that complaining about box art is silly.

16. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

If some of you didn´t get a shipping confirmation for Body Double, then this will only ship around the 14th when the second batch comes in from the pressing plant.

It is lousy because any limited release should be available to ship... first it was already sold out, then, by miracle, many copies were still available, and now it is not available to be shipped to all who pre-ordered it.
    It smells like this is not so limited...

Info on blu-ray .com...
    http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=7946411&postcount=941

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, it's bullshit. Screen Archives do not ship in the order that the pre-orders were placed. Their shipping process is entirely "random".

I placed the pre-order within a couple of minutes of when Body Double first went up for pre-order...and my order still has yet to ship.

Their email back to me earlier was this:

The "queue" :lol: It's more like "whenever we spin the wheel and you come up"

18. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I ordered mine in the morning on the 5th of this month. It's already been shipped and in transit to me. Not sure what is going on with this release but something smells like shit.

So am I to understand people who per-ordered it did not get shipping notifications? In other words I take it per-orders did not get shipped?

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Correct. And I've been ordering from Screen Archives for years. I've placed numerous orders and mucho dinero, but there's obviously no V.I.P. status.

20. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

I preordered it a few hours after it went live (along with THE DISAPPEARANCE) and got a shipping notice yesterday afternoon. I preordered THE DRIVER the day it went live (along with HARD TIMES) and it didn't ship until this past Monday!