BOTB-M #19: Terror Train (1980) VS Prom Night (1980)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Jun 9, 2006.

?

vote

1. Terror Train (1980)

60.3%
  2. Prom Night (1980)

39.7%
  1. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Went with Terror Train. Prom Night is one of the few slashers that I have seen and didn't really like, at all.

2. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I like Prom Night much better than Terror Train. Eddie Benton's chase scene in Prom Night is scary, while Jamie Lee's takes too many breathers to build momentum. Also, the killer in Terror Train is pathetic, while the killer in Prom Night is sad. And I love the cheesy disco music in Prom Night.

3. Maniac

Maniac Guest

Can't believe Terror Train is winning this battle. Prom Night is by far the better movie. The end decapitation is awesome. I saw this in the cinemas when I was kid, was quite scary at the time. The long piece of broken mirror running across the girls neck whilst seeing her eyes roll still makes my squirm. Very effective kill that one.

4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

As much as I love Prom Night, I can't help but disagree. Prom Night has a VERY long period where nothing really happens. It's a long stretch of boredom. It also does have an amateurish look to it, whereas Terror Train has very good cinematography, and its concept was handled a lot better than Prom Night. The beginning and end of Prom Night are certainly better than Terror Train, but the main bulk of Terror Train is much better than Prom Night in my opinion.

The concept of Terror Train is quite brilliant. The whole movie takes place during a masquerade party, which is a clever concept. Everyone's wearing a costume, so nobody really knows who the killer is and when he kills someone, he dresses up in their costume in order to get closer to his next victim. Prom Night has the whole mystery aspect going for it, but it's brought down by its lagging middle half.

I will give Prom Night credit for its chase sequence with Wendy. I love the fact that you hear a pulsating disco beat in the background instead of an atmospheric horror score. It really made the sequence a lot more tense. (Oh and yeah, Kelly's murder scene is fantastic.)

Terror Train is one of the best examples of how to make a slasher without relying on gore. Prom Night is up there as well, but it's not as good as Terror Train for reasons previously mentioned.

~Matt

5. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Didn't care for Prom Night. Voted for Terror Train.

6. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Both have their good qualities but I cast my vote for PROM NIGHT.I think it's better acted (though Ben Johnson adds some weight to TERROR TRAIN).Also,the end of PROM NIGHT is actually rather hurtful,it's tragic in a way that I don't think TERROR TRAIN quite achieves.
    TERROR TRAIN does have a memorable reveal at the end though and the locomotive setting gives it some atmosphere.

7. Kim Bruun

I rewatched both this month, and Prom Night has always been my favourite of these two... But, I have to agree with this.

There is a long, uneventful stretch in Prom Night. The disco scenes, Wendy's chase, and Jamie Lee's poignant realization at the end - they all work for me. But everything up to the dance could have been trimmed and peppered with something more dread-inspiring than a few phonecalls and some pictures torn out of a yearbook.

Terror Train, on the other hand, at least sprinkles the money scenes more evenly throughout. And it is technically better. I guess my problem with it was the very fey killer. There was no mystery surrounding his identity, and we already know that he's this physically unimposing guy, who, frankly, isn't very convincing as someone who is heterosexually interested in Jamie Lee. But there are some effective scares, because even though we mostly know what costume the killer is wearing, he still manages to pop up in unexpected places.

I like both, but I think Prom Night has lost some of its status as a favourite of mine, while Terror Train has grown on me.

One question remains: Why did they saddle Jamie Lee with such an anti-hunk in both of these?

8. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Dis ist mist scheizer!!!! Ich schätzung schülerball nacht...

Yeah, Im catching up on my German!!! Hope its accurate!!!

9. Kim Bruun

The first line has a funky article and the second line is missing a verb... But, I think you're saying that you like Prom Night better? :)

10. rhett

rhett Administrator

PROM NIGHT definitely has its lulls, but the characters are all so interesting and memorable. Lou is the fucking man, and as if you all wouldn't take a ride with Slick in his wonder van. Leslie Nielsen creates ham worthy of a pork roast with one of his last serious roles, and even the bitch and Slick's date do a memorable job. It's got all that great disco ("you'll be dancin' in the moonlight!") and even if it is lighter on gore, the end beheading kicks all sorts of ass. It's one of my favorite slasher deaths. Nobody seems to mention the opening, but it goes to a pretty dark place considering it's all child actors, and to this day I still find it unsettling. It's so effective that it gives the tragic reveal at the finale all the more impact. Of all the slasher films, that ending always wrings the most tragedy for me. Even with the lulls though, I still think the mid-film phone calls are quite well done and certainly keep the dread intact.

TERROR TRAIN is no slouch of a film, definitely better shot by Kubrick vet John Alcott, but it just doesn't have the same resonance for me. The characters aren't as interesting, the location too drab and unchanging, and the tone more grungy than enjoyable. I still like it a lot - the mask is perfect, Ben Johnson adds some class, the opening and closing provide some great tragedy with the killer, and the Copperfield stuff is a decent substitute for disco. Still, it's no PROM NIGHT, and to all those who disagree I offer this refute:

"Sit on it, ape!"

11. Kim Bruun

Prom Night has often been said to have the ugliest cast of any slasher (an assessment that requires one to ignore Eddie Benton), and looking at Slick and Nick, I can see where people are coming from, but I was always attracted to Lou for some reason. :eek:

12. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Had to go with Terror Train.

13. rhett

rhett Administrator

Ugliest cast? Jamie Lee is prime in that movie, and yeah, Edie Benton is something for the eyes too. Whoever said that must not have seen Don't Go in the Woods, Final Exam, A Day of Judgment, Backwoods, Sleepaway Camp, The Prey...

14. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Love both, but Terror Train is easily the better of the two. Plus it has one of my favorite lines:

"Maybe then Mitchie and I can ROOM IN together." :p Oh bunnies.

15. Kim Bruun

I'm not saying that I agree with that opinion, but there are some gals and guys there who aren't exactly tv pretty. But yeah, Jamie Lee and Eddie Benton look great, and Lou does have a sort of animal magnetism owing to his primal appearance. ;)

I'd add The Forest to your list - not a looker in the bunch (at least in terms of guys).

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  16. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Wendy was pretty fine. Jude was okay as well. Hell, any of the girls aside from JLC were fine.

The guys on the otherhand...Kelly's bf was alright. But uh...Nick was below average...and the others...I'm not even gonna touch. :p Phobia of unibrows.

17. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

The most unattractive cast ever is probably Last Slumber Party cast members. GOOD LORD!!!!

18. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Prom Night.

19. foller

foller Active Member

This is like a quiz to me :D. I am German and I am still trying to figure out what you wanted to say with the first part.
    Could the second part mean: Ich schätze Prom Night (= I appreciate Prom Night)? The movie is also called "Prom Night" in German. The German word for Prom Night is "Abschlussball".
    Mist = crap (in German)
    scheizer = ???
    Help me out!

20. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Love them both, have both on DVD, but went with Prom Night, because I love Disco music.