Box Office Battle: My Bloody Valentine 3-D (2009) Vs. Friday The 13th (2009)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Oct 25, 2008.

?

vote

1. My Bloody Valentine 3-D (2009)

14.3%
  2. Friday The 13th (2009)

80.4%
  3. neither

5.4%
  1. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I am going to see both movies when they come out, for 2 very good reasons, 1.) Horror film, even though they are remakes, and 2.) They each star the 2 stars from Supernatural, Jensen Ackles, and Jared Padalecki.

But in terms of Box Office, I think it will be Friday the 13th.

2. Darkside

Darkside New Member

MBV is awesome but where I am there are limited 3-D running theaters. Owners will rarely go out on a limb for a 3-D movie. let alon a slasher pik. With that in mind, I am going to start petitioning my local theater to pick this one up!

-D

3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Friday, natch. I expect my local art theater to get MBV3D, but Friday will be everywhere.

4. Cardiac Tom

Cardiac Tom Guest

The new MBV will do well I think, but it will not top the F13th remake...more mainstream people are at least familiar with the F13th flicks and not MBV...

I really do not like most remakes, but I'll probably go see both of them in theaters...I'm a sucker like that...:D

5. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

both look great!! but Friday will rule the box office in Feb. MBV3D will do good b/c of how fun it looks, and i think it will have strong w-o-m. but, Friday has a LARGE fan base.

6. sgtpeppers

sgtpeppers Guest

Friday the 13th. Even people who haven't seen any of them know what it is. MBV being 3D will bring in some people but there aren't many 3D equipped theaters around.

7. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Friday The 13th, no question.

8. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I think Valentine will probably have the advantage, coming out first, and that advertisement actually even makes ME want to see it!

9. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

The original Friday the 13th made just under 40 million U.S. box office in 1980. My Bloody Valentine only made 5.6 million in 1981. I don't think the box office will even be close between these two.

10. rhett

rhett Administrator

Most sites are reporting the opening number for MY BLOODY VALENTINE 3D at about 8 million opening day - which fits in as a third place finish. That's a pretty soft number, considering the novelty and the fact that ticket prices for the film are more expensive than for normal films. It'll be interesting to see how the weekend plays out though - 3D films tend to hold very well, and I can't imagine word of mouth to be bad on this old school slasher at all. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it rebounded today and ended up taking the weekend from NOTORIOUS and PAUL BLART. If not, those are two embarrassing losses. :D

11. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

MBV will end with about $42m, which is pretty good for that type of flick with little name recognition.

F13th will probably wind up with around $65-70m if reviews aren't terrible and fanboys keep going back. I know if it kicks ass I'll go back for seconds. The name recognition of F13th alone should guarantee a $30+m weekend.

12. JamesBond007

JamesBond007 New Member

I think Friday The 13th would make more money, but only for stupid reasons. I think remakes are getting out of hand, and I'm not going to see it. It's going to be like Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Hitcher, becuase Michael Bay produced them as well. Fuck Michael Bay. He's an asshole at making and producing movies but he's only great at blowing shit up. I think it's an unwise choice to go and see Friday The 13th or MBV. I already have the originals on DVD (including the Warner and Paramount copies of Friday 80' and the Lionsgate Double Feature copy of MBV 81'), and personally I think they are extremely better than those shitty remakes. Once again, FUCK Michael Bay and FUCK My Bloody Valentine 3-D. In other words:

Good News: I'm not spending $5 or $8 to go and see it. I'm using it to go and get special editions of the original movies.

Bad News: Those who see them (or one of the two) will reget it later. Going to see them is like going to see Batman & Robin all over again.

13. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

how would u know if they are shitty if you have never seen them....? :rolleyes:

14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Paul Blart: Mall Cop $33,800,000

Gran Torino $22,235,000

My Bloody Valentine 3-D $21,900,000

Notorious $21,500,000

Hotel for Dogs $17,707,000

Wow, A lot of movies did well this weekend.

15. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Exactly I hate people that complain about remakes without ever seeing them. If you don't like remakes, then stay out of the forums talking about them, as no one wants to hear you bitch about how you hate them, yet haven't seen any of them. For every 5 shitty remakes, there is a real gem to be found. Yes, the fact that everything is getting remade sucks, but without remakes we wouldn't have a lot of great horror films like Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Thing, The Fly, Dawn of the Dead, Hills Have Eyes, ect.

16. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

agreed. And about 1 in 5 horror movies suck anyway. I love The Thing and Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Both re-makes. Re-makes are fine, even if some are bad.

17. JamesBond007

JamesBond007 New Member

It's becuase at the the time of TCM2003's release, I wanted to see it due to the how great the trailer looked. When I finally saw it a few years later, my reaction was bad. Same thing happend with The Fog 2005. That's when I knew that Hollywood's running out of Ideas. When I heard that Prom Night 2008 was hitting theatres, It looked really bad. When my brother in law took me to see it (because he wanted to see it more than Forgetting Sarah Marshall, which I wanted to see it more badly than that), the movie turned out to be one of the worst movies of all time. My wise choice is not to see any of them, becuase Michael Bay, etc. are NOT a John Carpenter nor a David Croeneberg.To act like Harold Shand (Bob Hoskins) from The Long Good Friday (1980) i'm quoting this, with a twist: "Remakes? I've Shitted them!"
    :rolleyes:

18. JamesBond007

JamesBond007 New Member

Plus, I'm not complaining...It's the truth about remakes, and I'm not bitching about it. It's called opinions, and there is no rights and wrongs about it.

"Reverse The Polairity"- The Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee), Doctor Who

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Every F13 is a virtual remake of the one that precedes it, so I don't see the big deal in the reboot. Especially if it gets him back to Crystal Lake. Aside from the first couple of films, It isn't as if there was real continuity between the sequels, anyways.

20. Dave

Dave Pimp

Agreed! Friday needed a reboot or needed to be laid to rest. I prefer the first option.