Boycott Paramount and the F13TH Boxset

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by zombie359, Apr 27, 2004.

1. zombie359

zombie359 Guest

OK WHO IS WITH ME, LETS BOYCOTT paramount and not buy this bullshit boxset and remebr to get as many people as possible to do the same and so on and so on, what do u guys think. If every member form all the major horror forums on the net agreed to boycott it, it could have a potential impact on paramount.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yes, they could come to the conclusion that horror is not profitable, and not release any more discs...

(of course, I'm not a big F13 fan, so I wouldn't be buying the box set cut or uncut anyway)

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, that bad box sets are not profitable :)

Honestly, I've not read anyone praising them for this crappy box. The message must be getting through, surely. If not, they're even more stupid than we thought.

4. zombie359

zombie359 Guest

that my friend is so hopefully true
    :evil:

5. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

well if they figure F13th isn't profitable, perhaps they'll license the films to some other dvd company. :D

6. ScarredGod

ScarredGod Guest

i had little interest in the set, now i have zero interest. at the very least they could have released the first one uncut, since it is available that way in another region.

i dont subscribe to the feeling that if you dont support their crap releases that it will stop other releases from happening. when you reward subpar effort, they have no reason to discontinue subpar behavior. your vote is with your dollar. i DO recommend writing them a letter explaining that you WERE very interested in purchasing the set but you WONT now. that will at least let them see why they lost your money.

assuming they even care of course.

7. zombie359

zombie359 Guest

ya well im willing to bet that th epeople putting this boxset out, dont even go to the horror forums on the net and actually listen to what its customers want :bs:

8. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Paramount is lazy when it comes to older films, but they ARE listening. You're getting more than what you had before. I personally don't care for any of the sequels so I'll probably end up getting the R2 SE.

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I don't know if I'd say they're listening all that much. Even the newer DVD's they're releasing are mostly without extras. I'm still wondering if the movies in the boxset are going to be new transfers, or just ports from the old DVD's. I'm betting they're just ports since they won't be uncut versions...again.

Why aren't they doing a good DVD re-release like they've been doing on the first six Star Trek movies recently? Probably because Paramount still thinks horror doesn't equal enough profit.

10. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Horror usually DOESN'T equal profit. It's the outcast of the genres. The bonus disc has the uncut footage and supposedly three hours of material. And you're getting commentaries on select movies.

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Paramount might not believe it, but I don't buy it that horror doesn't equal profit. Sure, many obscure films make little profit sometimes...but there are still many mainstream horror films that make studios tons of profit, crappy horror or not. If this were untrue I doubt we'd be seeing as many new horror films in theaters and also direct to DVD/VHS as we do. New Line Studios and Lions Gate/Artisan practically live on the genre these days. The horror genre even built up New Line Studios to what it is today. There's a reason, 9 out of 10 times horror films will make these studios quick money in rentals and sales. How many times have I heard in commentaries about a director/producer's first movie saying something like "We needed a way to make a quick, guaranteed buck. Let's make a Horror movie...bingo!"

All of the Friday The 13th sequels and spinoffs (and many other horror series) would not have been made if none of them had made a nice profit in the first place.

I think most of us would rather have the intact UNCUT Friday the 13th films than the bonus material. Yes, commentaries on select sequels, but not even one for the original which most fans would want. Part 3 in a 3-D option would be very nice too. How many of us are going to listen to the commentaries more than once? You could just borrow a friend's set to listen to them once. And just look at how many fans are already saying they're not even interested in buying the set anymore. Hopefully Paramount will listen and revamp the boxset and release it at an attractive price, but I somehow doubt it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2004
  12. evileye

evileye Member

Personally, my decision will be hinging on the remastering process. Noone has said anything about the picture quality or if they are being remastered in 5.1 etc etc etc. I held back on the bare bones editions (save for part 2 and 3) and hope they will spring for something beyond mono sound. But that part 3 commentary is awfully tempting to me :p

13. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

I'm with you, zombie359. Paramount can go to hell with this shit-box! :fire:

14. Yeha, I'm kinda watching out for that too. If they nicely remastered with a flava picture & audio quality, it might convince me to shell out the big dollahs.

Though I am disappointed in their decision to release the 'R' rated versions.

I still don't see why Paramount can't license their stuff out. I mean sh*t, Universal did it with Army of Darkness 'cause they sure as heck weren't going to put any effort on a hooked up AOD DVD!

I'm sure they know whatthe fans REALLY ache! These thoughts alone piss me the freak off!!!!

15. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

I am with you guys on this boycott. Unless I see the boxset for like 24.99, I am not buying. Paramount is gonna have to pull something very special out of their ass to get me to pay for this lazy-half assed-pathetic attempt at a boxset.

16. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

Paramount has NEVER released an unrated movie because they are like Disney and will not do it, so everyone's expectations of an uncut version was just fanboy hope, and not reality. The fact that we're getting the uncut footage as an extra is the best we could hope for, esp. since it's probably not in the best shape to begin with. As for commentaries, I really couldn't care less. I just held out so I could get a box set and save money by getting them all at once. This set is fine with me because I knew the company's stance, and it's what I wanted. Yes, I would love for them to all be uncut, but I'm being realistic. Also, the fact that people wanted 3 in 3D is also ridiculous since we couldn't get the same experience without extra hardware, so that's hardly profitable for the company for one more that not everyone even likes. So stop bitching and just don't buy it. If you don't like the set, just get the cheap original discs.

17. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

the effects worked real well for the part of the freddy movie that was in 3-D on my set-up. also i already have an un cut version of part one so there is a nice un cut print for that one. this box is no good. i already have all the friday movies anyway so unless they were going to do something really cool there was no chance of a double dip.

18. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

:lol:
    It hasn't even come out yet losers! Why don't you wait for the official press release on the dvd specs before snobbing out like a bunch of comic book nerds. Between you guys and the guy on the Simpsons, I don't know who is worse.

:lol: You guys kill me :lol:

19. Mattster

Mattster Guest

"Worst DVDs EVER"

I can totally picture everyone sitting at their computers complaining about this news. Pushing their glasses up constantly. Typing away furiously. Rubbing the letters off the keys...

20. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Totally - I think there is actually three threads going about this right now. Plus, you know everyone who complained about it will be first in line when it comes out(probably the same folks who will buy the Dawn04 dvd even though they all took fanboy comfort in dissing it)