Boycott Paramount and the F13TH Boxset

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by zombie359, Apr 27, 2004.

1. ErinJC23

ErinJC23 Guest

From reported new sources there is only going to be a little over 3 hours of extras. And that's for 8 films. Many singular discs have more than that.

Nightmare had two commentarie tracks, the 3d glasses, and the bonus disc which was crammed with music videos, interviews, and the like. Hours of supplements there.

They have now taken the music video and other stuff from the box set which they were originally were going to put in out.

2. zombie359

zombie359 Guest

maybe the fuckers at paramount think we wont notice them short changing us on this boxset :p

3. Also, the NIGHTMARE boxset from from 1999. DVD was 2-3 years old. The format is now (believe it or not) around the 7 year mark. That's almost five years of increased quality. If the NOES set came out in 2004... I'm betting it would be like any other set from NEW LINE in the past couple of years... pretty damn extensive.

4. Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee Member

Paramount, if you're listening: postpone this release another year and do it right. We can wait, and if you give us everything you've got, we'll make it worth your while. What you're planning on putting out is an inferior product, and it keeps getting more inferior every day. You should be doing all you can to add supplements to this set instead of removing them due to "budget constraints". Any concerns you have with the budget will be taken care of if you create a product that the fans will want to buy.

As for never releasing unrated footage: times are different now than they were 15 or 20 years ago when these films were released, so how about re-submitting an unrated cut to the MPAA to see if it can be "re-rated", you know, like you did with "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom". Oh I forgot, Steven Speilberg didn't direct any Friday films.

And how hard can it be to get people together for a commentary? Aside from Kevin Bacon and Tom Savini, I dont think a lot of people involved with these movies are that busy these days. All it takes is a little effort, and that's exactly what you've put into this, a little effort when you really should've gone all out. When I first heard about this boxed set, I thought "Only an idiot can screw this up", and I'll be damned if you didn't prove me right. Why don't you crawl in bed with George Lucas, a man with similar disdain for artistic expression and the opinions of his fans. Speaking of Lucas, I'll give you the same message I gave him: :fuck: :fuck: Fuck you!! :fuck: :fuck:

5. Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee Member

Oh, I'm with you on the boycott by the way.

6. evileye

evileye Member

I'm not sure if anyone has come across this info, but: are theses to feature remixed sound or are they porting the existing transfers? A decent 5.1 mix would help on the first few films.

7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I had Part 2 and THe Final Chapter in my hands yesterday and was ready to buy them, but at the last minute I put them back. Paramount still has time to pull something out of their ass, no matter how unlikely that is.

8. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I very seriously doubt a boycott would do any good. Paramount never listens to the fans. :mad:

I have the first three films on DVD, but would gladly buy the boxed set as long as the price is reasonable. Actually I'd much prefer Paramount released the films seperately, because there are some films in the series I don't care for (4 and 6) and a couple that I hate (7 and 8).

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2004
  9. dolemite

dolemite New Member

I just remembered something. One of the sites I go to mentioned awhile ago that Savini did commentary tracks for 1 and 4. Those weren't listed so either the info is wrong or they had 'em and are not gonna use 'em.

10. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

A boycott is the wrong way to go, in this situation.

As a company wanting to make money off their product, Paramount will not see a boycott/low sales as "hmmm, we should've given fans what they wanted. Let's re-release them!" Instead, the cold reality to low sales will be "The Friday set, bombed, eh? Well, goodbye Friday the 13th."

As long as there is money to be made from something, they will keep re-issuing. It may be 4 or 5 years down the road, but if this boxset is a success, our chances would be greater of getting uncut releases than if we'd all boycotted.

A boycott will end Friday the 13th at Paramount.

I wanted uncut releases in this set, but I'm not about to signal to Paramount that F13 isn't profitable and worth a future re-release. I'll gladly pick the boxset up, come Fall.

11. MAATopDogg32

MAATopDogg32 Guest

I emailed David Grove who is coming out with a book on the F13 series and he has interviewed actors & directors of the series for his book. Here is the lastest email I received from him:

Hi it's David. Martin Blythe at Paramount's a really good guy. I don't know what's up with the DVDs. I'm just sorry I wasn't able to hook them up with Mr. Miner as I was told he was the number one "get" for the DVDs. Yes, Mr. Feil(DOP for pt 3) told me that he was interested in helping with the actual print of the film - given the uneven translation Part 3 has received over the years because of the 3-D theatrical format - and would be willing to provide his own materials and expertise for the transfer if the powers that be were interested. He told me he was thinking about giving Paramount a call. who knows. Thank you.

David.

12. Crazy Ralph

Crazy Ralph Guest

I was so excited about this box set when I heard about the R2 release, but I now know that Paramount are a bunch of pricks.

I agree that Paramount would probably kill F13 if the sales of the box are low, but they may at least license it out to Anchor Bay. I think that's the only hope we have.

13. boogeyman16

boogeyman16 Guest

I'm just as mad as you guys are about the crappiness of the Friday the 13th boxset, but honestly, we should be happy that were getting as much as we are from Paramount. Keep in mind that horror series are considered to be the bastard child of most movie studios, and they don't put as much effort into box sets or other horror DVD's. Just go to Best Buy and see the massive amounts of Evil Dead, Sleepaway Camp, etc DVD's there that are fifteen dollars or less. Trust me, I would love to have a 16 disc Friday box set, but Paramount won't put in that much money because Friday while popular wont' give them the same amount of sales that Star Trek will, or Indiana Jones or Star Wars. Ultimately, we should just be thankful that were getting what were getting, cause I gaurantee you that we won't get any better, especially since Paramount treats DVD's like they do video, and not as a seperate entity.

14. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Yeah, I'm thrilled.:banana: I still ain't gettin' this shit-box. Why should we pay good money for another half-assed product? Because it's the best we're gonna get from Paramount? Well their "best" ain't good enough. If we all buy this pile of crap, we'll just be proving to Crapamount that we're nothing but a bunch of droids who will buy anything they put out. If you can't do it right, then at least show some goddamn dignity and sell off the rights to a company that will. In the meantime, there are plenty of cool dvds coming out this year that are actually worth something and that's where my $$$ will be going. Paramount can go to hell.

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'd personally rather see New Line get it if that were to ever happen. They'd probably give each F13 release a royal treatment, and plus we might actually get the ultimate boxset then.

16. MAATopDogg32

MAATopDogg32 Guest

Here's an interesting bit about Paramount...

Two(2) dvd releases of the original "The Stepford Wives" currently exist. With the Nicole Kidman remake coming out in June, Paramount has decided to release another dvd version at the same time.

People will say, "Cool, what's new with this one?". The answer: Absolutely nothing.

The Anchor Bay anniversary edition release is the exact same as what Paramount is repackaging. From horrordvds.com: "the discs seem virtually the same as far as presentation and supplements go."

But hey, a remake is coming out, and Paramount sees an opportunity for some pocket cash.

To me it's funny that it seems the time and money excuse played the biggest role in Paramount putting together a half-assed Friday the 13th Box Set - Yet they put a team on repackaging something Anchor Bay already put together, simply to cash in on the Stepford remake...

It seems Paramount only cares about separating a customer from their money. I understand that they are a business, but at least finish the box set before trying to sell it to us.

I'm so pleased to continue stating I won't be giving Paramount a penny when this comes out, as I won't reward them for cutting corners and releasing an incomplete set.

17. Don't kid yourself, that's all any company wants.

18. Mattster

Mattster Guest

With the new topic of this new Stepford Wives DVD I'd like to jump in again. I'm so tired of people ripping apart studios for pulling stunts like these. If the DVD is in fact the same as the Silver Anniversary Edition then that's great considering that is discontinued. I didn't have a chance to pick it up when it was around. Can you guys HONESTLY criticize a business for trying to make money? Grow the fuck up. You're getting better releases than you already had and you're pissing and bitching that they're not perfect. I can name tons of movies that I love that are barebones and many aren't even on DVD. Take what you can get.

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The Stepford Wives 'Silver Anniversary Edition' DVD was only discontinued within the last few weeks. Coincidence? It was still on Anchor Bay's website a couple weeks back and most online stores still had it in stock until a week or so ago. I know this because I had just purchased it a couple weeks ago (second time, first was a defective disc) and was checking around online. Same thing happened with those Disney DVD's that Anchor Bay had licensed. They went out of print very soon before Disney themselves released their own reissues to DVD.

20. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Alright the DVD virtually didn't go out of print... it just switched studios. So what's the problem with Paramount and Disney releasing their own editions of a movie when another studio discontinues it?

Funny that everyone is always complaining about Anchor Bay discs being defective. I've had my fair share of Anchor Bay's poorly pressed DVDs and if Paramount's version is equal or better quality than the Anchor Bay's I'll probably get that one instead.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2004