Boycott Paramount and the F13TH Boxset

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by zombie359, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I whole-heartedly agree. I offer one solution, though, to all those who complain about re-releases: Don't buy it. It's that simple.
    :)

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

There's nothing wrong with it per se, never said there was. It's just no surprising coincidence that they're re-released soon after the license rights expire.

As long as you don't want a chapter insert in the case, Paramount can rake in the money.

3. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

The webmaster of Savini.com chimed in over at the Friday board with this bit of info...

"Talked to Savini, and here is the scoop.

Tom did in fact record a commentary for both Part 1 and Part 4.

Of course, that doesn't mean that they will use it, but he did record them. We know that for sure.

They also recorded a behind the scenes docu on Tom's involvement in the films.

Tom also supplied them with a crap load of "behind the scenes" stuff from both films.

So, that is straight from the man who would know.
    "

So...Savini did the commentaries. That is certain. But why does Toolbox have no apparent knowledge of them? Or were they perhaps recorded since the last time someone at Toolbox talked to Peter Bracke?

Last edited: May 7, 2004
  4. Mr_Man

Mr_Man Guest

Just doesn't make sense that the stuff was done on their dime ,and not used.:confused:

5. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

perhaps this Peter Bracke doesn't know the full scope of what Toolbox is doing. nothing official has been announced yet, so there is still hope...maybe...

6. Katatonia

Remember those John Carpenter DVD reissues last year from Universal? There was said to be new commentaries recorded for those also and they turned out to be barebones releases in the end.

7. evileye

evileye Member

There were new commentaries for those Carpenter releases... from another company overseas. Everyone just speculated Universal would buy the rights to them and use those commentaries. That would be the same situation if people assumed Paramount was going to license the Warners commentary from region 2.

The Savini-mentioned commentaries were specifically for this upcoming release and the simple fact remains: there has been no official posting yet... only rumors and hearsay.

While I think Peter Bracke's DVDFILE site is amazing and personally cannot give him enough credit for the things he has contributed to the series, he simply can only report what he is given. He stated the official announcement is in June. I say wait before any major uproar. Ifthe official specs prove the rumors true, then start calling for the head of Paramount on a platter. :p

Let's see... a box set with probably 6 commentaries, features and interviews, rough cut deleted scenes and good anamorphic transfers (hope the box art is better than the stand alone releases). 5.1 sound would also be nice. All this coming from a studio that I am sure hates this series. Not to shabby. Add 2 killer books and a horde of merchandise from the likes of Sideshow Figures and I am in nirvana!!

8. Katatonia

I already know about the foreign DVD's. But there was news that commentaries were newly recorded explicitly for the movies that had none ever recorded before. Universal is arguably worse than Paramount, so it was no real surprise there. Same thing happened with the Weird Science DVD re-release...Bill Paxton confirmed he recorded a new commentary with them...yet surprise surprise they didn't use it.

Anamorphic transfers will be nothing new to DVD, unless they're completely new transfers. As for better box art...the movies will be two to a single DVD disc, perhaps flippers or perhaps dual-layer. If there's "box art" it might well be little tiny pictures in a booklet, unless each disc has it's own case and not a digi-case. 5.1 mixes might work if they get a proper audio re-mix, but the F13 movies didn't even have stereo audio tracks until Part 6. Half of the old DVD's had 5.1 mixes already too. 6 commentaries? Wishful thinking, I hope you're right.

Just for the record, here is exactly what Peter Bracke posted on the F13 forum, word for word:

And another post on MAY 6th:

Full press release due in early June...then we shall all see once and for all what is to be included in the upcoming boxset, and what isn't.

9. evileye

evileye Member

Thanks for the updte on Universal's commentaries. I had read through various sites that they planned on licensing the existing tracks from Kinowelt (as the UK editions did) and was unaware of rumored new commentaries.

The internet has been burning up over various rumors and such about this set. People are ready to toss the entire project away based on various "eyewitness" reports without any confirmation. And even if they do end up the lesser end of extras, most purchased will be through the mass market who are less inclined to write letters to Paramount. The remainign sales will come from the fans who will buy any damm piece of FRIDAY merchandise like a drone (thats me!!).

Your point about the lousy mono tracks on the earlier (1-5) editions is my main concern. A decent remix would be proof that the films themselves had been remastered somehow. Another "rumor" stated the Gerald Feil was going to contact Paramount about remastering the part 3 print. Let's not forget the awful audio mis-cues in THE FINAL CHAPTER! Please fix, Paramount!!!

While dissappointed about the flipper situation, I am curious about the box format (fold out ala ALIEN QUADRILLOGY or stand alone boxes with 2 per disc).

And while Peter Brake has posted various comments about the contents of the box (I have tracked them all excitedly awaiting some final specs), he has deliberately not addressed them on his own site since they only print the confirmed details.

Just like you... I pray this is not a dropped ball. But since I am a die-hard fan of the series (or early series at least), the possibility of some terrific documentaries and interviews is a big draw. Hell, I have had to purchase plenty of re-releases of MGM, Elite, Warner Brothers and Anchor Bay titles (going on 4 for DAWN OF THE DEAD).

Thank God for EBAY! I sold the discs for 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 for 9.00 each, so the box set is not a terrible pain for me at this point. :)

10. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

only one Paramount F13 dvd had 5.1, and that was part 7. the rest were mono, except 6 & 8 which are stereo.

11. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Back to Stepford Wives for just a moment...

At least Paramounts discs won't be defective, or rot after a year. Same content, better disc production... what's to bitch about?

12. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

AB DVDs rot after a year? A disc is a disc, I don't see what the difference is...

I'm just bitching about Paramount, because they're just rehashing another companies' DVD. Why not try something new for a change, instead of doing it the same way and even ripping off the cover art? :rolleyes:

13. Katatonia

I've never had an AB DVD rot, or any DVD rot for that matter. Paramount doesn't include inserts in their newer DVD's, I'd bitch about that. Too expensive for them I guess.

14. Katatonia

I'm uncertain whether they will really be flippers. I don't know of Paramount ever releasing anything with flippers before, so if they do it might be a first for them.

Two 90 minute movies (or similar) could easily go on a single sided dual-layer DVD, so that would be preferred. At least the discs would have a top label then at least! :evil:

15. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Yes, AB dvds rot, often.

And have you not been reading the posts in this very thread? AB's license has run out, the rights have reverted to Paramount, and as such, why the fuck shouldn't they produce a product they own that they know they can sell? :bs:

I can understand the concerns over the Friday series, but over the Stepford dvd? :rolleyes: :fucked:

16. Katatonia

Some early OLD AB DVD's had rot problems, like the Hammer DVD's. Where's your evidence of any rot problems recently? Ever actually had any yourself?

Yes, I read the thread. I never said their rights hadn't run out or that there was a problem with it. All I ever said was it was no coincidence and that Paramount is too cheap include inserts anymore. Read my posts closely and tell me where I ever said AB's rights hadn't run out. See here:
    http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showpost.php?p=213965&postcount=59
    http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showpost.php?p=214181&postcount=62

I said "Anchor Bay had licensed". HAD. I think you are the one who needs to read this thread more closely! :eek1:

Last edited: May 9, 2004
  17. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Who cares about a chapter insert. All they do is sit there and look pretty, I rarely even remove them unless its a booklet with info and stuff.

18. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Even after the Opera fiasco Anchor Bay claimed to have fixed the problem with their pressing and to have gone to a new company for that. I remember several discs after that to have severe problems. I think Heathers came after Opera, but I'm not sure. Still. I've never had problems with any of my discs except for Anchor Bay ones.

I'll second the "who cares about chapter inserts." If you want one go to dvdcoverart.com and request someone make one. Or make your own. I think we're getting WAY too spoiled about these kinds of things. As long as the disc works, the film is OAR, and it looks pretty I'm happy. I would be lying if I said I'd be much happier with tons of extras, but I can do without.

19. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Eh, no, it's you who needs to read more closely, or at least work on your comprehension skills; I had quoted RyanPC, which you should have realized meant that I was responding to him, and not you. Hello! :banana:

As for AB, hey, I love AB, but the unreliability of their discs is a major concern for me. Matt is right, there is not one single company out there that has been plagued by rot/defective discs as AB has, not even fucking Troma... and it's a pretty sad day when you realize you've been shown up by Troma, on any level. :lol:

20. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--I'll second the "who cares about chapter inserts." If you want one go to dvdcoverart.com and request someone make one. Or make your own.--

Make your own? Oh yeah, like that's the same. I guess I might as well go make my own DVD too - who needs value for money anyway.......