Boycott Paramount and the F13TH Boxset

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by zombie359, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Ah okay I see now. Sorry, my bad dude! I thought it said it was a quote of "Katatonia" but it was for a post by "RyanPC". Anyone can make a mistake! :evil:

I dunno about the DVD rot problem being more prevalent on AB discs. I've heard some real horror stories about a large percentage of WAMO-manufactured discs. Even fairly recent ones like The Matrix and such. FOX and MGM were also plagued with some rot stories in the past, but those were a few years back.

I've heard about the numerous problems with AB's Kentucky Fried Movie and the Opera 1.0 DVD. Is it always rot though, or simply bad manufacturing where the bad glue causes the disc problems?

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yep, why not just get an empty DVD case and print out the DVD cover on a home printer too!

I still feel like chapter inserts make the entire package look more "whole" and less empty with the DVD plugs inside where an insert/booklet should theoretically reside. And how much does it really cost to print out a chapter insert? Hell, even Madacy always encloses a nice insert, and their DVD's are usually $5.99 or under!

Granted, a chapter insert is not life and death. You'd still be amazed at how many consumers try to return DVD's because it appears that an insert is missing.

I know of a Used DVD store that for awhile would not even buy back a used DVD if it does not have an insert! Forget trying to tell them some don't even come with them anymore. Now wouldn't that tick you off too?

3. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

No prob Kat, mistakes happen. :)

As far as any pattern of disc problems at AB, two things generally happen; in the case of the Hammer titles, as well as a few others, they seem fine when they're released, then over time, they start freezing up slightly, then freeze and won't start up anymore. In the case of Heathers and Opera, and a few I'm sure I'm forgetting, the discs are defective as they're released. You see the same effect as I just described with the Hammer dvds, but it occurs right off the bat, with no degradation, but rather an unusable disc right out of the package.

For all the AB arguments we've had here, I've pretty much stayed out of it, and even defended them on occasion, but over the past year, more of my Hammer dvds have died, and I'm pretty pissed about it. Sure, they have a replacement policy, a pretty simple one too, but damn, it just gets silly after a while.

4. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Well if you're a skilled artist anyway. The chapter inserts aren't exactly that difficult to replicate or surpass. Dvdcoverart.com has tons of great inserts and cover art that you can print out with their high quality print service. Anyway, my point is that it's not really that big of a deal. People are beginning to forget what's most important-- the movie itself.

5. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Personally, for me, it's all about the pretty pictures on the discs themselves. I couldn't care less for inserts, extras, or the movie itself, just don't diss me on the picture on the disc. Remember those old discs that had the generic silver labels? Hell, some companies still do that, and it riles me to no end... I can't stand it!! ARGHH!!

Another thing high on my list is the dvd cases. Down with snappers, Amaray rulze, doodz!

:banana:

6. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

Pardon my ignorance, but I heard somewhere that this boxset is going to be released on 5 double-sided discs rather than 9 single-sided ones... Does anyone know whether or not there's some truth to these claims?

7. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

From the main page:
    DVD File owner, Peter Bracke, has been dropping nuggets of information about the upcoming Friday the 13th box set due this fall. Those expecting special editions and director's cuts of each film like Paramount did with the Star Trek serious will be sadly disappointed. None of the films will be presented uncut, and supplements will only be added to selected films and the bonus disc. The set will be broken down into 5 discs, with 2 films on each disc (one on each side) and a fifth bonus disc. Here is a breakdown of the supplements currently known today:

Film Extras:

<LI>Commentary on Part 3 with the cast, including Richard Brooker, Paul Kratka, Larry Zerner and Dana Kimmell
    <LI>Commentary on Part 6 with director Tom McLoughlin
    <LI>Commentary on Part 7
    <LI>Commentary on Part 8

Bonus Disc:
    <LI>Uncut footage for Parts 1, 6 and 7
    <LI>TV footage of Part 4
    <LI>New featurettes with interviews from the Fangoria Friday the 13th reunion in January, as well as Sean Cunningham, Joseph Zito, Tom McLoughlin, John Carl Buechler, Rob Hedden and Tom Savini
    <LI>Total supplements will run over 3 hours

The specs are still far from official, but it sounds like this is all she wrote.
    --

I may pick this set up if it's under 50 dollars, seeing as I only really care for F13 2, 6, and 8.

8. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

Hmmm... well I held off on buying the original bare-bones DVD releases, so I guess I'll be picking this set up. Truth be told, I really didn't think Paramound was going to give us anything, so I really don't have anything to complain about...

9. The voice of rationality...

Given the choice between eight barebones discs or 5 discs with at least a feature or two the 5 disc always wins out.

10. JasonFan

JasonFan Guest

I just want the films uncut Paramount give the fans what we want. :banana:

11. dayglo

dayglo Member

We'll all know when the official announcement is made. it's not that far off, sometime in June I believe.

12. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

I just realized that if the boxset specs end up as bad as they seem right now, I can just start another Columbia House account and get 2-8 for under $30.