BREAKING: Scorpion to release Humongous & More on New Line

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, May 12, 2011.

By rhett on May 12, 2011 at 8:00 AM
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

80s horror fans have already had a few nice surprises this year with announcements like SLEDGEHAMMER, but this one takes the cake. Scorpiron Releasing will be debuting the following favorites coming out in September: HUMONGOUS, AMERICAN NIGHTMARE, THE CARPENTER, THE DEVIL WITHIN HER, THE HUMAN EXPERIMENTS, THE MARK OF CAIN and NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT. As if that weren't good enough, they're also re-releasing the beloved and hard to find FINAL EXAM, THE INCUBUS and THE HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW. All nine DVDs will be on a new "Katrina's Nightmare Theatre" line featuring intros and extros by WWE star Katarina Leigh Walters. It's about time we had a new Elvira!

I'm salivating too much at the thought of finally seeing the Canadian giallo sleeze-classic, AMERICAN NIGHTMARE cleaned up on DVD. I'll just go ahead and quote their official press release:

Also, here's a sample of the cover art for each disc, staying very true to the original poster art:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Excited?

Sub-Categories: This article has no sub-categories

Comments

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, May 12, 2011.

1. SaxCatz
      SaxCatz
      Stoked...
      I too hate the banners ruining the cover art, but the fact that they may be 2-sided really shows that Scorpion is doing this right!
      As long as these are affordable, I'm in on five of them.
    2. wago70
      wago70
      I'm getting ALL OF THEM. Nice! I don't mind the banner so much (at least she's eye candy) and I love the original artworks on most of 'em.
    3. shape22
      shape22
      This is like finding out a really outrageous April Fool's joke is true.

Good God. Great news. I haven't seen Humongous since it was on HBO in the early 80s.
    4. Steel76
      Steel76
      Yeah, I know :D

For some reason I just feel like the Scorpion part of the family would do a better job with it ;)
    5. Erick H.
      Erick H.
      This is great news.I already have DVD's of INCUBUS and THE DEVIL WITHIN HER (a region 2 disc under the title MONSTER) but I welcome a new series of horror cult releases.So far I've heard good things about Scorpion,I look forward to these new discs.
    6. KamuiX
      KamuiX
      They at least wait to announce stuff until it's ready to go, instead of pumping you up and then leaving you twiddling your thumbs for years.
    7. ronnie21
      ronnie21
      HORRORPHILLY,, its in the inquire archives, Humongous played there in May of 1982, I think it only lasted a week.. And Final exam played there in June of 81. Alot of low budget exploitation films played from 1979-1983. I was only 9 and 10 when they came out. The college theater lasted until 1987. I think March of 87 was it's last run, by 86 and 87, the theater started showing more family type movies. Its now a business office. http://cinematreasures.org/theater/19696/ My brother seen some movies here and said it had a great big screen. Can you imagine that. watching final exam on a big screen. Other movies that played here are -- Mothers day. Dawn of the dead, The exterminator. Basket case. Fast times at ridgemont high. Forbidden world.. I would have loved to seen forbidden world there in 82..
    8. ronnie21
      ronnie21
      Check out the 1983 photo of the theater in this link..
    9. satans-sadists
      satans-sadists
      I will probably end up getting most of these. Best part of this news is that these won't be DVD-R releases. Glad to have Scorpion releasing them! :)
    10. Shawn Francis
      Shawn Francis
      I'm keeping trrack of all these flicks on my blog, much like I'm doing with Shout's Corman titles.
    11. ronnie21
      ronnie21
      Yeah. I just hope they don't use the same transfers from the older dvds....
      Interesting, with humongous being UNCUT. I wonder which print they scarfed up for that?
    12. ronnie21
      ronnie21
      I believe the only cut footage from humongous was the rape scene or dog attack scene, and i think it was just a second or 2 or the guys aftermath of being attack but i could be wrong..
    13. Zillamon51
      Zillamon51
      I've been wanting to see Humongous and House on Sorority Row for a while now, so I'll likely pick those up if the price is right.

She is currently Winter in TNA; she used to be Katie Lea Burchill in WWE.
    14. Shawn Francis
      Shawn Francis
      I emailed Scorpion and they told me only 2-3 titles will be released a month, and the two flicks I'm personally interested in, THE INCUBUS and HUMONGOUS have already got dates. INCUBUS is set for Jan, but could come out earlier depending on when they get done with the extras and HUMONGOUS is set for October.
    15. ronnie21
      ronnie21
      awwhh we got to wait till october for humongous. well, at least its coming out at all..
    16. Body Boy
      Body Boy
      Considering that's only 5 months away, and it was just announced last week, I'm-a say October is a wonderfully close date that I welcome.
    17. Mutilated Prey
      Mutilated Prey
      How have I been missing this thread? This is awesome news!!!! I have been waiting for Humongous to get a real DVD release for years, and uncut thankfully taboot. Definite must buy, and American Nightmare is pure bonus. Don't really care too much for the rest.
    18. Body Boy
      Body Boy
      Yeah, these are some great Canadian films, that I thought would never come to DVD thanks to a certain someone saying that they'd never lease them to America (but I still love you Code Red! <3).

I WILL be buying Humongous when it comes out immediately as it has been undeservedly bashed by many for the sole reason of its shoddy VHS darkness. Maybe people will see it for the highly above average film it is now. God, I'm so excited! It's one of my top 20 slasher films.

American Nightmare, while a letdown when I actually saw it last November, will probably be picked up as well because I want to see what it looks like in widescreen. A beaut for sure I hope. It also has an AWESOME stalk and murder scene with that girl from Visiting Hours and Happy Birthday to Me in the dark with a pitchfork.

I'm getting Devil Within Her too as I love those post-Exorcist/Rosemary films. One of my favorite sub-genres. Schlock devils. And House on Sorority Row will be a pick-up since I missed the last two releases, and the second was interlaced. Growl.

Incubus and Final Exam I already own, but might upgrade the former if the transfer is a good improvement.
    19. Hellbilly
      Hellbilly
      The old German VHS release of Humongous runs 1:08 min longer than the R-Rated U.S. Version. Apparently the German release is the uncut version.
      Here are images of what is missing from the R-Rated version:

http://www.schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=1351529
    20. Katatonia
      Katatonia