BREAKING: Scorpion to release Humongous & More on New Line

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, May 12, 2011.

By rhett on May 12, 2011 at 8:00 AM
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

80s horror fans have already had a few nice surprises this year with announcements like SLEDGEHAMMER, but this one takes the cake. Scorpiron Releasing will be debuting the following favorites coming out in September: HUMONGOUS, AMERICAN NIGHTMARE, THE CARPENTER, THE DEVIL WITHIN HER, THE HUMAN EXPERIMENTS, THE MARK OF CAIN and NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT. As if that weren't good enough, they're also re-releasing the beloved and hard to find FINAL EXAM, THE INCUBUS and THE HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW. All nine DVDs will be on a new "Katrina's Nightmare Theatre" line featuring intros and extros by WWE star Katarina Leigh Walters. It's about time we had a new Elvira!

I'm salivating too much at the thought of finally seeing the Canadian giallo sleeze-classic, AMERICAN NIGHTMARE cleaned up on DVD. I'll just go ahead and quote their official press release:

Also, here's a sample of the cover art for each disc, staying very true to the original poster art:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Excited?

Sub-Categories: This article has no sub-categories

Comments

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, May 12, 2011.

1. zbinks
      zbinks
      https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....126168180875975.25162.111042102388583&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...1&comment_id=477983&offset=0&total_comments=7
    2. Chomp
      Chomp
      So do we wait till Shout! gets it sublicensed for BD or what?

The last couple of weeks have proven one to be weary about buying any DVD from Scorpion or Code Red.
      Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    3. Demoni
      Demoni
      Me. I still buy many DVD "tittles".
    4. Scorpion
      Scorpion
      On ED AND HIS DEAD MOTHER? You are welcome to ask Cliff, but they aren't interested, and I dont/cant sublicense any of my releases to another label.
    5. Vortex
      Vortex
      DVD only titles go to the back of the line behind the current Blu-rays that I want, but I do get around to them if it's all that's available. At least it's not SF with their sub-Echo Bridge quadruple features or throwing a great film like The Evictors on a double pack DVD as a bonus.
      Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    6. elDomenechHDG
      elDomenechHDG
      I like Shout Factory but there's a lot about them I don't like as well. For starters, they had the pick of the litter with MGM but they chose to license a bunch of questionable stuff and then just slapped them on a disc without extras or even some of the standard things like chapters and menus. And some of those movies than ended up on multi-pack DVDs should've been given a chance on Blu, like THE OUTING, GODSEND and EXTERMINATOR 2. Arrow Video in the UK has the best MGM titles IMO (and much better presented).

I'm not going to throw a fit if Scorpion decides something isn't worth releasing on Blu-ray because I know at least their DVDs will include all the standard stuff like trailers and chapter stops.
    7. Myron Breck
      Myron Breck
      It sounds to me like a lot of these amazing companies are having to actually conduct their business as a business--if it's going to lose money and eventually lead them to close up shop to put certain titles on blu ray then how can anyone blame them? You can't have everything you want.
    8. X-human
      X-human
      Shout doesn't do their own film transfers, but Scorpion does. That's a significant difference between those two models and they can't really be compared.

While ED AND HIS DEAD MOTHER may have a decent shot at making more on Blu-ray than previous comedies Scorpion released that doesn't mean even that would be profitable. I think we all want Scorpion to be around for a while longer to keep releasing titles like this however they can and not blow their load on a few spectacular releases that only serve to bankrupt them.

It is rather sad that theoretically companies like MGM should be able to play the long game and release a lot of back catalog on Blu-ray. Instead they're playing the short game and licensing them out for a quick buck. That's where a lot of these frustrations should be aimed at, companies like MGM.
    9. zbinks
      zbinks
    10. gobad2003
      gobad2003
      sold! C'mon guys you gotta support the little guy or all our future releases will be on dvd-r. The big companies won't even bother to release it on dvd none the less bluray :mad:
    11. foller
      foller
      I read on another forum that Scorpion will test the waters for a possible BluRay release of Mortuary with Blus of 'House on Sorority Row' and 'Girly'.

Personally I think that 'Girly' is an odd choice to test the waters. It sounds like Code Red who initially wanted to start with 'The Electric Chair'. I would love to see a BluRay of Mortuary and fear that this might be ruined by this odd choice.

What do you think?
    12. Body Boy
      Body Boy
      Girly is an odd choice like Electric Chair via popularity, but quality-wise, Girly is one of the best films in Scorpion's catalog. A Blu-Ray of that sounds marvelous to me.
    13. Katatonia
      Katatonia
      Agreed, I'd much prefer Mortuary over Girly. I never even had any real desire to buy the DVD of Girly.

I'd re-buy Mortuary on Blu-ray without hesitation.
    14. Scorpion
      Scorpion
      GIRLY out sold MORTUARY, which is why I put it before MORTUARY. but MORTUARY will probably come out before SILENT SCREAM, if that makes any difference.
    15. foller
      foller
      I will buy all the upcoming Scorpion horror Blus anyways :D.
      All the other ones I already have are top notch.

Is there a chance for a 'Humongous' Blu?
    16. Katatonia
      Katatonia
      I'll buy the Girly Blu-ray when it shows up for pre-order, just to support you guys. I figure that I do buy at least 90+% of Scorpion titles that come out. That was just one I never was too interested in on DVD...so it'll be a 1st buy.

I just hope you really do release Mortuary on Blu-ray! :nervous:

Silent Scream and House on Sorority Row are of course mandatory re-buys!
    17. elDomenechHDG
      elDomenechHDG
      A Mortuary Blu-ray will rest (in peace) proudly alongside my DVD of it on the shelf :D. Love this movie.

I bought a copy of GIRLY but haven't watched it yet. I think it has something to do with wanting to watch first-time movies in the best quality possible (Blu-ray). I have a ton of movies on DVD that were blind-buys that I haven't watched yet, including a bunch of stuff from Scorpion. Have you considered doing combo packs, Walter?

BTW, I remember people asking for 92 IN THE SHADE on studio chats online years ago and someone basically replied (Fox, I think) that it was never going to happen. Ha, never say never! Will blind buy this one for sure.
    18. zbinks
      zbinks
      https://www.facebook.com/scorpionreleasinginfo/posts/248351435324315:0
    19. zbinks
      zbinks
      https://www.facebook.com/scorpionre...2388583/266407796852012/?type=1&stream_ref=10
    20. zbinks
      zbinks