BREAKING: Scorpion to release Humongous & More on New Line

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, May 12, 2011.

By rhett on May 12, 2011 at 8:00 AM
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

80s horror fans have already had a few nice surprises this year with announcements like SLEDGEHAMMER, but this one takes the cake. Scorpiron Releasing will be debuting the following favorites coming out in September: HUMONGOUS, AMERICAN NIGHTMARE, THE CARPENTER, THE DEVIL WITHIN HER, THE HUMAN EXPERIMENTS, THE MARK OF CAIN and NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT. As if that weren't good enough, they're also re-releasing the beloved and hard to find FINAL EXAM, THE INCUBUS and THE HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW. All nine DVDs will be on a new "Katrina's Nightmare Theatre" line featuring intros and extros by WWE star Katarina Leigh Walters. It's about time we had a new Elvira!

I'm salivating too much at the thought of finally seeing the Canadian giallo sleeze-classic, AMERICAN NIGHTMARE cleaned up on DVD. I'll just go ahead and quote their official press release:

Also, here's a sample of the cover art for each disc, staying very true to the original poster art:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Excited?

Sub-Categories: This article has no sub-categories

Comments

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, May 12, 2011.

1. ronnie21
      ronnie21
      81 was a good year for movies..
    2. Erick H.
      Erick H.
    3. wago70
      wago70
      There were some fine horror films in '81 - the trick (for me) was getting someone older to take me. Looking back, 1980 had its winners as well. 1982 was a fun year where I lived because that's when HUMONGOUS showed up...right in the middle of summer. I saw it with THE THING at the 2nd run theater in Reno (before sneaking into another auditorium to see "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"...and trying to find a seat in a packed house). Good times.
      But 1980 - 1981 really ruled.
    4. ronnie21
      ronnie21
      I was 9 in summer of 82. never even heard of humongous until a yr later when it came on cable. But the 2 big movies all the teenagers were talking about that summer were fast times and how funny and dirty it was, and Friday the 13th 3 in 3D, the kids went nuts over this and went back to see it 2 . 3 times. I wanted so bad to see that in 3D. till this day i keep hearing that no 3d movie has ever come close to how cool the 3d effects were..
    5. ronnie21
      ronnie21
      I think 83 wasnt as good of a year for horror movies. it started to die down by then. We had house on sorority row and psycho 2.. but the slashers were pretty much 80-82
    6. Body Boy
      Body Boy
      I always thought of the slashers as being from 1980-1984.

And I disagree about '83 not being a good year for horror. Slasherwise, I still think the wagon was turning.

My favorites of 1983:

-Sleepaway Camp
      -House on Sorority Row
      -Psycho II
      -Mortuary
      -Curtains
      -Night Warning
      -Blade in the Dark
      -The Final Terror
      -American Nightmare

If you want to count Mountaintop Motel Massacre and Blood Rage as films that were 'supposed' to come out in '83, then I would. But I do think the well was drying up by this point. This is true.
    7. Demoni
      Demoni
      And how many times after that did you masturbate to Phoebe Cates boobs??? :D ;)
    8. ronnie21
      ronnie21
      yo, people still till this day are wacking to phoebe cates pool scene.. I bet that was some cutting edge stuff in 1982.. Funny thing is too, earlier in 82. i think around may, Cates was all naked in a blue lagoon rip off called PARADISE...
    9. wago70
      wago70
      I remember the more we went to slasher movies in the 1983, the more obnoxious the audiences were. In 1981, people actually screamed (HELL NIGHT and HALLOWEEN II were just awesome because the audience was really into them. I remember the entire theater foot stamping in HELL NIGHT when Andrew rises from the floor behind Marti and Jeff...everyone screaming for them to turn around.) By 1983...when we saw CURTAINS, MORTUARY, HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW people were making fun of the characters and booing the final girl. It was a totally different vibe and I think everyone was jaded by then. However, a few films called GATES OF HELL and NIGHT OF THE ZOMBIES came out and nobody laughed at them. GATES OF HELL ( you know this movie, fans ) had a really morbid tone (at least back then). There were no screams in my theater but lots and LOTS of people squirming in their seats and some people ran out of the theater when that girls eyes started bleeding and then...
      Anyway, not to venture to far off. By 1986, 1987 I was already nostalgic for all those films because the era passed to damn fast and horror films weren't the same (although it's too easy now to lump all of the 1980's together...it really wasn't that way then. Every few years was an entirely different era altogether.)
      HUMONGOUS didn't catch on even though it was from the makers of PROM NIGHT. Most of all, I feel so lucky to have seen those films in the theaters.
    10. Body Boy
      Body Boy
      You're VERY lucky. I'm envious.

I think of 80s horror (& slashers) as 1980-1984, 1985-1987, and 1988-1990.

I may have been born in 1991, but I notice a CLEAR difference in the feel of the films between '84 and '86. And I don't like the change. Only Slaughter High among a few others kept the dark tone correctly, and even then, it was shot in 84 so it makes some sense. 1985 was the last year slashers kept things dark, imo. Though it was obvious comedy was setting. But just look at Elm Street and Friday the 13th for examples. Both Jason Lives and Dream Warriors changed their take entirely after the darkness that was Elm Street 1 & 2 and Friday I to V.
    11. SickNick89
      SickNick89
      I was born in 1977 and I too felt the same way. My breakdown would be 1980-1984, 1985, 1986-1989. The friday the 13th films break down the same way for me. Part 5 was the last one with that old, early 80's, low budget mean spirited feel, Pat 6 which was 1986 is def the turning point for me as that film feels glossy, more production value and more like a "movie".
    12. Body Boy
      Body Boy
      You know, I didn't want give a section of the years with just 1985, or 1985-1986, but truth be told I actually agree with those breakdowns more than the one I gave.

1980-1984
      1986-1990

...Though a film like Just Before Dawn and The Initiation are obviously more than a couple years apart, they still feel like companion slashers when put together side by side. Blood Tracks and Hills Have Eyes II, while dark, showcase the campiness that was to follow. Sort of a blend of the two world in '85. I sometimes think of 1980-1985 together, but 85 also conjures memories of Blood Cult, Horror House on Highway 5 and uh...other such films that I'd rather not associate with the golden age.

1986 saw F13:JL, Killer Party, Killer Workout, April Fool's Day, Sorority House Massacre and Slaughter High. While I like some of these (actually, I like them all, but LOVE specific ones) it just took the campiness of '85 to a level that was a few steps too far and lighthearted to lump with the gritty 70s-early 80s. AFD is great the way it is, Slaughter High seems more like a 1985 film, and the two Killers are entertaining in a comedy way. But...

Well, if you take a film from 1986 and compare it with 1989's Cutting Class, Intruder or Moon Stalker, you can easily see a difference in production and filming style. This comparison could cause someone to stretch their golden age up to 1986, but really, after 85, that hint of classicness just vanished. And I for one am kinda pissed off that we only received five to six full years in the 80s of it when there should have been ten.
    13. Nailwraps
      Nailwraps
      http://www.dvddrive-in.com/index.htm

"Here are the full details of the upcoming DVDs of THE DEVIL WITHIN HER and FINAL EXAM, both due out on 9/20 from Scorpion Releasing. THE DEVIL WITHIN HER: Hollywood legend JOAN COLLINS teams up with cult stars DONALD PLEASENCE and CAROLINE MUNRO in this terrifying tale of a demonic baby! A male baby is born with an in-built hatred of people. For his parents, Lucy and Gino (Joan Collins and Ralph Bates), his hatred is particularly strong and soon his strength has increased to almost super-human proportions. As he continues to inflict injury, doctors are baffled as to the cause. But a nun (Eileen Atkins) is convinced that the baby is possessed. Initially dismissed by the medical establishment, the events take such a murderous turn that few can afford to ignore the nun’s warnings. Special Features: Play with or without Katarina's Nightmare Theater; 16x9 widescreen; Interview with star John Steiner; Original Trailer and Reversible sleeve with and without Katarina's banner. FINAL EXAM: At Lanier College, the semester is almost over. Exam week is coming to a close when some upper classmen play a prank by staging a phony terrorist attack. But the next excitement in the school won't be a prank. It's something a lot more final than an exam. Students are falling prey to the knife-wielding maniac who is hell bent on making sure that school is out... forever! Now watch the slasher classic in an all new HiDef master from the original camera negatives! FINAL EXAM is back, with a vengeance! Special Features: Play with or without Katarina's Nightmare Theater; 16x9 widescreen from a Brand New HD master from the original Negatives; Audio commentary from producer Myron Meisel moderated by Katarina Leigh Waters; On Camera Interviews with stars Cecil Bagdadi, Joel S. Rice and Sherri Willis Burch; Original Trailer and Reversible sleeve with and without. Katarina's banner. MSRP on both is $19.95. Katarina Leigh Waters is a former WWE Diva, and current star of Impact Wrestling, as well as an actress in several upcoming projects. Scorpion's next release, a special edition DVD of WHERE THE BOYS ARE '84, will be released on 8/23."

Happy as a clam! :D
    14. JGrendel
      JGrendel
      Not so happy that I'll have to double dip on final exam to get the new bonus features.
    15. Demoni
      Demoni
      In an interview in Retro Slashers, Scorpion told them that all previous extras from Final Exam will be there as well.

So, where is the original commentary?
      Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
    16. Katatonia
      Katatonia
    17. ronnie21
      ronnie21
      can't wait to see a review on humongous.. Just hope its not a first review on just the film, I hate when you are waiting to see how the transfer or picture looks, and it's a review for the actual film and not the quality or extras of the dvd. I remember when i found the first review for EVILSPEAK, the guy just reviewed the movie and not the quality. Why bother,
    18. SaxCatz
      SaxCatz
      At $13.99 I'll be waiting for a review too. If the PQ is good, and you can tell what is going on in the movie, then I'll be happy to shell out. However, Scorpion is a bit of an unknown in my book and I don't implicitly trust them like I do BU, so we'll have to see...
    19. Myron Breck
      Myron Breck
      I didn't like THE PYX at all, but maybe it was partially due to the miserable transfer...? Then again, maybe it just sucked.
      Has anyone seen it anywhere else besides the current DVD?
    20. Katatonia
      Katatonia
      Scorpion's DVD releases in the past (Silent Scream, Zombie Nightmare, Cheerleaders Wild Weekend, Power Play, etc..) have been very solid as far as both the transfers and extra features go.