BREAKING: Scorpion to release Humongous & More on New Line

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, May 12, 2011.

By rhett on May 12, 2011 at 8:00 AM
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

80s horror fans have already had a few nice surprises this year with announcements like SLEDGEHAMMER, but this one takes the cake. Scorpiron Releasing will be debuting the following favorites coming out in September: HUMONGOUS, AMERICAN NIGHTMARE, THE CARPENTER, THE DEVIL WITHIN HER, THE HUMAN EXPERIMENTS, THE MARK OF CAIN and NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT. As if that weren't good enough, they're also re-releasing the beloved and hard to find FINAL EXAM, THE INCUBUS and THE HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW. All nine DVDs will be on a new "Katrina's Nightmare Theatre" line featuring intros and extros by WWE star Katarina Leigh Walters. It's about time we had a new Elvira!

I'm salivating too much at the thought of finally seeing the Canadian giallo sleeze-classic, AMERICAN NIGHTMARE cleaned up on DVD. I'll just go ahead and quote their official press release:

Also, here's a sample of the cover art for each disc, staying very true to the original poster art:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Excited?

Sub-Categories: This article has no sub-categories

Comments

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, May 12, 2011.

1. MorallySound
      MorallySound
      I'm glad these will all have reversible covers without the Katrina banners.
    2. Shawn Francis
      Shawn Francis
      There's a facebook page called, Canuxploitation: Your Complete Guide to Canadian B-Film, and they just made a post about HUMONGOUS. Here's what they said: "Watching an advance copy of the upcoming HUMONGOUS DVD--print is much improved over VHS versions . . . It's still a dark film by design but much improved over what I've seen before."
    3. Mutilated Prey
      Mutilated Prey
      I'm not surprised it's still somewhat dark as I suppose there was not a whole lot of wiggle room from the negatives. As long as it's crisper and uncut I'm a happy camper.
    4. maskull
      maskull
      I'm glad it's a little lighter. I just hope it's enough that I can actually tell what's going on. Sounds promising though.
    5. eric_angelus
      eric_angelus
      You and me both.
    6. Body Boy
      Body Boy
      Think of Humongous in terms of Prom Night's darkness. Sure, the scenes of footsteps sneaking up behind Kelly are tough to notice, but most of the film is completely viewable. I await this classic eagerly!
    7. wago70
      wago70
      Oh, I remember the horror scenes in HUMONGOUS being pretty dark in at the cinema when I saw it in the summer of 1982.
      I also remember PROM NIGHT being a "foggy" looking movie at the cinema but I liked that look.
      To my eyes, I caught things in HUMONGOUS on the Vhs and Showtime that I missed at the cinema.
      On the other hand, for some reason, I recall the opening rape scene showing more when I saw it at the picture show compared to the Vhs. It's been a while but I could have sworn it was edited and even missing a shot of Page Fletcher's buns.
    8. ronnie21
      ronnie21
      Wow, lucky you to have seen both movies on the big screen.. i was only 9 when it came out.
    9. wago70
      wago70
      Yeah, it was cools. I was 12 at the time and I was with a 16 year old cousin. They didn't even card us. HUMONGOUS was first and it wasn't the most thrilling slasher (I was spoiled by FRIDAY THE 13TH) and I was still a little puzzled about the lead villian - WHAT is it? I couldn't tell if it was deformed (like the misleading poster art) or just a wild child filmed in shadows. From the makers of PROM NIGHT, I was disappointed that a more exciting final showdown wasn't played out.
      There was a second feature (yes, first run and this film was given a co feature for indoor theater - a rarity!) and it was a doozy: THE THING.
    10. russweiss
      russweiss
      The rape scene was more intact in the theater. My roommate at the time saw the film several times in the theater and complained about the cuts when we saw the film on VHS. I'll certainly pick up the DVD unless the quality is terrible.
    11. promnight13
      promnight13
      Has anyone confirmed that the (highly entertaining in itself) theatrical trailer for HUMONGOUS will be on the Scorpion DVD release?
    12. ArrowBeach
      ArrowBeach
      I emailed them, and they confirmed yes.
    13. promnight13
      promnight13
      Thanks ArrowBeach! The trailer is awesome IMO.
    14. Mutilated Prey
      Mutilated Prey
      I was about to go pre-order Humongous and the Amazon fockers bumped it up to $17.99! Who's our cheapest bet right now? I'm waiting on DVD Pacific.
    15. Mutilated Prey
      Mutilated Prey
      Well, things happen for a reason. Got a $10 coupon from DDD and pre-ordered for $5.33 :glasses:
    16. ronnie21
      ronnie21
      can't wait to see some reviews for this...hope the transfers better than the dorm that dripped blood.. That was too grainy and the colors were so dull...
    17. satans-sadists
    18. Demoni
      Demoni
    19. rhett
      rhett
      There will be a comparison review here on the site once the screener makes its little way to Canada.
    20. CPT HOOK
      CPT HOOK
      Nice! I'm curious about this "new transfer" but I don't love the movie enough to double dip.
      Last edited: Aug 27, 2011