Bride of Frankenstein

Discussion in 'Classic' started by The Joker, Aug 31, 2004.

1. The Joker

The Joker Guest

Does anyone know if there is a definitive R1 release for the Bride of Frankenstein, or if one is in the works?

thanks all

Joker

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

With Karloff? The best version, and therefore definitive, is in the "Frankenstein Collection" that was issued recently. I think it fixed a very slight framing issue with the original release. Frankly, I was never bothered by the original, and didn't upgrade myself.

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I'm surprised that your a Bride of Frankenstein fan and you never new about the recent Frankenstein Collection. Where have ya been boy?

4. The Joker

The Joker Guest

Well, I'm not a "fan" persay....yet. I just recently took an interest in the Frankenstein "history" and I wanna see all the movies pertaining to such...

5. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

If you looking for good Frankenstien films i would say my top five would be.

1. Frankenstien (1931)
    2. Curse of Frankenstien (1957)
    3. Bride if Frankenstien (1935) I Know, I Know this would top allot of peoples lists but i have never been a huge fan of Horror Comedies.
    4. Son of Frankenstien (1939)
    5. Marry Shelly's Frankenstien (1994)

6. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

If you have even a passing interest in Frankenstein, you should definitely pick up the Universal "Collection" that came out this summer. Priced very cheaply, it contains just about every Frankenstein film you will ever need....until you want the "fringe" stuff. I personally found "Son of Frankenstein" to a surprisingly good film. But Bride still rules.

7. The Joker

The Joker Guest

thanks for your help guys :)

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

We should probably avoid the "Bride Debate". All right minded people know it's overrated, that the first film is better, and that the series prety much dies on its feet before the five films are over with :D

9. Crazy Ralph

Crazy Ralph Guest

Remember the times they were made in...... They simply tried to cash in on a good thing. No different than any franchise..... they all get weaker as they go on. But the whole Frankenstein thing is still pretty enjoyable to watch, just don't expect them to get better with each film you watch. It's not gonna happen.

10. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Yeah, I highly recommend the Frankenstein Collection, as you get 5 great movies for the price of 1. Also, the quality and special features are outstanding.

Oh and Dwatts, I think Bride of Frankenstein is slightly better than the original. :p

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--But the whole Frankenstein thing is still pretty enjoyable to watch, just don't expect them to get better with each film you watch. It's not gonna happen.--

Oh, but arguably, Dracula did :) I really love the other Dracula films, and they really are fun in their own right. The Frankenstein ones started to lose themselves after Son.

12. Damed

Damed Guest

Agreed. The first three are ok (with my personal favourite being Bride) but when Karloff quit playing the monster (due to the fact that he thought the stories were going to shit) they should have stopped. The other movies (Ghost of Frankenstein, House of Frankenstein and Frankenstein meets the Wolf Man) are not nearly close to the quality of the Karloff films.

13. Severn

Severn Member

Does anyone remember the TNT made for TV movie of Frankenstein with Randy Quaid as the monster? It was released around the same time as Mary Shelley's movie. A great movie with a great performance. I haven't seen it in years but I remember liking it more than the MS one.

14. hatetank

hatetank Guest

I strongly recommend visiting my website ;) It's got about mostly everything you need to know... :D

15. The Joker

The Joker Guest

hey man awesome site, I kinda skimmed through it cuz Im at work but I'll go back and look more in depth