Bride of Re-Animator Question?

Discussion in 'General' started by lv426, Jun 23, 2005.

1. lv426

lv426 New Member

I have recently become quite obsessed with everything by and inspired by H.P Lovecraft. I picked up Beyond Re-Animator and have Re-Animator on order. My question lies with Bride: should I get the fullscreen (argh!) dvd or pick up the Uncut Vhs copy at my rental store. Are they both the same cut? Thanks guys.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I guess by the Fullscreen DVD you mean the Artisan re-release? There is an older DVD that includes both the R-Rated and Uncut Fullscreen versions that you can optionally hard-matte it to widescreen (non-anamorphic) with the subtitle button. It also had quite a few extra features, like featurettes and commentaries. If you can still find it that's the one to get, although it's long out of print. However, if you just need the movie itself then the re-release DVD is probably good enough...or at least better than the VHS.

There's also an Anamorphic DVD released in Australia that has the old extra features as well.

Oh...and if you enjoy Lovecraft, try to see The Unnamable and Dagon if you haven't already. :evil:

3. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Pioneer was the one that put out the long Out Of Printe Bride of Re-Animator, which I own.

4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

If your going to purchase this movie, it must be the OOP print from pioneer, there are copies still available on sites like amazon, so you should have no problems picking this one up.

5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

pioneer is the one, but the uncut version on that disc. is not of great quality.
    and the rated R version on other dvd releases are much better. so you have quality vs. quanity. and the uncut part doesn't really add much content, your talking a few seconds of gore. I can't even tell what was cut or not.

6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

P.S. so your also talking $40 plus for the uncut(could be more , hard to find) or $10 (where you can get anywhere)

7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

You should be able to find the Pioneer disc for less than $40, last I saw they were in the $20's on ebay (Amazon sellers are way over-priced on OOP stuff, avoid that route).
    I have an extra copy of the Pioneer disc that I'm gonna trade eventually, but I'm out of town right now and won't be back until mid-July.
    The un-rated has more gore, mostly near the end when
    the bride falls apart
    . The runtimes are real close cuz the R version uses cutaways for reaction shots instead of the gooey shots in the un-rated.
    I'd say the commentaries are the best part, but they're only on the R-side if I remember right. Unrated doesn't look horrible but it's not great either.
    It's worth hunting down for all the cool extras and option of which version to watch (I like the theatrical matte option on the subtitle track as well, too bad that can't be used on an anamorphic disc. The WS just looks better in this movie, but it's nice to be able to see what's matted out if you want.)

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

look here on this very site for a review of the dvd. It explains the quality and extras better than I could.

9. lv426

lv426 New Member

Thanks guys. Since the cuts dont add much i'm gonna buy the current dvd in hopes one day we will see an uncut 16:9 Bride of Re-Animator. It drives me nuts that the dvd quality got worse, damn you Artisan!

10. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Dude, just order the Pioneer version from Amazon. It's still available.

11. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

I had 2 different releases of that Pioneer disc.One had a regular black case and the one I have has a see through green case.Anyone know if one or the other is more rare?

I als had AB titles that were first released in colored cases then released in regular cases(New York Ripper-red case,Knightriders-Gold case) not that it's a big deal but I guess these were limited edition or something?

12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

no one is buying it at $80, what are you crazy. And no one buying it used for over $40

13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

wow, I never heard of 2 dvds releases. I thought there was just the one Pioneer disc, not 2.

14. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

As far as I know the only difference was the color of the case.

15. Nos4ah2

Nos4ah2 Guest

Any idea of the quality on this disk?
    I looked it up at DVDCompare, but they have no record of it.

I'm gonna snap that up if it's decent! :banana:

16. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

The black bars on the Pioneer disc (mine at least) always flickered on and off when you choose to watch the widecreen version. It bothered me a shitload until I found out that the movie was shot open matte and then hard matted for theatrical release. So a full frame version of the movie would actually show you more picture. Take that for what its worth.....

17. Nos4ah2

Nos4ah2 Guest

I'm planning on investing in an HDTV soon, so for me the animorphic transfer is a huge bonus!

18. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I've never seen the green case in stores, only on ebay and other online places, so my guess it's that's more rare.
    It's the exact same dvd, just the case color is different. The green looked cool IMO and I'm kinda bummed I could never find one. I suppose I could find a green case somewhere else and just move the disc and inserts in.

19. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Baggio, is your avatar from Chopping Mall?

20. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

I origially had the black case edition.Then I had to clean house a few years ago and sold it.When I bought it again on Ebay I got the green case and I was lucky I got it under 20 bucks.