Bumblebee (2018, non-spoiler review)

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Dec 13, 2018.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Bumblebee (2018, Travis Knight)

Well after 5 films in the transformers franchise where that were all directed and the last four with full autonomy by serial film rapist Michael Bay to extremely hostile reviews and decreasing box office we now have a course correction/ reboot film that he thankfully has nothing to do with.

Trying to conjure up the feeling of the original 80's wave of mania for the characters this film is set in 1987 as somewhat a prequel to the other films or perhaps (hopefully) just a do-over. We see fan favourite Bumblebee in a smaller scale adventure that takes much of its structure from Steven Spielberg's E.T. and for the first time the Transformers themselves actually have characters that are important to the film and also look like actual Transformers.

We have gone from a series of films marketed at kids that are sexualised, lowest common denominator 'humour' with racial stereotypes, bad scripts and high octane clusterfuck action sequences that are most likely not good for childrens development to now a mostly low octane, family friendly, well structured character piece that is much truer to the source material.
    It may sound like this lower budget entry is a total winner and in comparison it is by far the best live action film in the series but it is a little bloated with slightly messy action scenes at times and still a little but too goofy.

All in all this is a very successful course correction that should please fan of the original franchise as well as those who like an 80's setting and great 80's music. It certainly does not touch the classic Animated film from 1986 but its a step in the right direction and another plus is its critical success and hopefully financial success will eat away at whatever is left of that clueless asshole Michael Bays soul.

6/10

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

This really isn't my type of movie, but I saw it anyway and found it mostly enjoyable. It has a bit more heart than your typical dumb blockbuster. The teen movie stuff was fun, the robots fighting... who cares. Lots of '80s music throughout, even if the choices are kind of basic ("Higher Love", "Everybody Wants To Rule The World", "Don't You Forget About Me", etc). I liked that Bumblebee spoke through the radio using songs.

I definitely found it above average for this type of movie, but considering I'm not the target demo, my opinion is probably irrelevant. It certainly held my interest. Although apparently 2018 is the year of family blockbusters where the climax is set around some glowing radio tower or whatever. I feel like I've sat through so many movies last year that end the same way (Goosebumps and Rampage come to mind).

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

This movie has a rotten tomatoes score of over 90%. Or at least, it did on Tuesday when I saw it. I think that says a lot. Our standards have sunk so low that a film like this is seen as some breath of fresh air or something. I didn't hate the movie. But I hate what it represents about the current film market.

4. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I think the positive scores are a result of pleasant surprise after the previous films are some of the worst in history

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Also, Rotten Tomatoes doesn't necessarily mean 90% of critics gave it 4/4. 90% could have given it 2.5/4.

Honestly, the only other Transformer movie I had seen besides Bumblebee was the first one.

thing likes this.