Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by RyanPC, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I was trying to remember his REAL name but someone said Hal Delrich and got it. If I would've known that's all I had to say that dvd would've been mine.

2. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Well, got the chance to see the DVD today and am I impressed! I had a VHS of the film and it was dark and grainy - the bright transfer reveals some good cinematography! I still love the atmosphere (the scene where the maid is walking through the castle alone in the dark is PURE fear), the final freeze-frame still chills me and I MUST find that soundtrack somewhere.

I really love that film! :) :) :)

3. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Me too man. This was one of the few Euro flicks I saw on a shitty US VHS, and I was amazed at the transfer. I remember just hearing talking in the opening scene on the VHS and maybe seeing a limb or two flash every once in awhile, but now I know some key plot point was actually taking place!

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, I saw this last night for the first time.

First times are often difficult, not knowing what to expect going in. I'm actually glad I have it, but it's pretty damn bad. Earlier in this thread the following was written:

--Burial Ground is a classic. Wonderful story, the acting is superb, and Andrea Bianchi's directing is just brilliant--

That must have been tongue in cheek. The story blows, the acting is horrid, and the direction is worthless (absolutely NO tension throughout.) Bianchi had one trick up his sleeve, the zombies coming out of the ground and walking around, and he blows it in the first two minutes. Plus, in broad daylight, you get to see the black stockings the zombies are wearing under their masks.

Poor lighting, cinematography and Direction sink this one a bit, I'm all for cheese, but I want REAL cheese, not Cheese whizz. :)

But on a comical level, it's maybe worth it.

By the way, I believe it was RyanPC who says Maringela Giordano is still sexy. Erm, I beg to differ, unless you like old women. She's a bit mumsy for me. Also, the interview with her is hysterical - because she doesn't even seem to remember the film, but keeps saying that she does. She didn't remember where it was filmed, who starred in it, or who directed. The interviewer starts agreeing with her (I guess to be polite) even though she's not saying anything (and even gets some things flat wrong). It's a great interview to go with a nutty disk, I guess.

As for the transfer, once again I find myself disagreeing. It might be better that the VHS tape (we can only hope), but I found the whole thing very washed out and grainy.

Still, I had to see it, and will watch it again, earning its place in my collection :)

5. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Yeah, I wrote that. Don't you agree?;) OK, maybe that statement is slightly exaggerated, but Burial Ground is still one of my favorite Italian zombie flicks for some reason.

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Yeah, I bet I like it more second time around too - with no expectations. Sometimes I want to be high and mighty, but a dose of italian zombie flicks makes my brain suitably soft :)

7. The Chaostar

I must say that I find BG VERY creepy.
    Even now it gets me - just a bit.

8. Atmims

Atmims Guest

I know what you mean Chaoster. The music in Burial Ground is creepy for sure.

I think the creepiest zombie movie might be Tomb of the Blind Dead, I'm not exactly sure if it would be considered a zombie movie though. I can't think of a creepier one though than this.

9. Trout

Trout Guest

Let sleeping corpses lie?

10. Atmims

Atmims Guest

That's a good one Trout. It's been a while since I seen it last. The main thing I remember about LSCL was when that nurse died. That looked pretty impressive.

11. Trout

Trout Guest

Especially for a film that came out in '74.

12. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I watched my Burial Ground dvd and found it extremely boring but maybe I'll give it another chance this weekend as I was really tired when I watched it.

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

-- I was really tired when I watched it.--

Me too!!!!!

Coincidence?

14. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Burial Ground is a great fun cheeze fest.
    Works more like a comedy for me :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2003
  15. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Umm I think you mean Burial ground don't you?;)
    I was gonna watch Burial Ground again tonight but my gf's daughters are watching the shitfest known as 8 mile. HELP!!!!:cry:

16. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

:eek2:
    Whoops, yep that's what I meant, damn typo :D

17. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Burial Ground is best experienced with a 12-pack of beer and someone else who can appreciate cheesy movies If you've seen it once and didn't like it you'll probably always hate it.

18. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I totally love the scene where the
    maid loses her head

19. Atmims

Atmims Guest

hah hah yeah, it just slides right off. ;)

20. The Chaostar

CREEEEEPYYYYY!!!!!!!