Buying blus or anything from retail, not these days....

Discussion in 'General' started by ronnie21, May 11, 2013.

1. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I used to go to Suncoast all the time too. Admittedly I don't recall buying a lot because they were definitely in the higher prices ranges but once in a while they had good sales and certainly they had a good selection.

2. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Anyone been to a Movie Stop lately? I guess it's been a few months for me, but I walked into one yesterday and was surprised ( though I really shouldn't have been....) to see half the store was now toys, posters, board games, stickers, shot glasses, gag gifts, etc. They even had a comic book section. Yes, it was mostly movie related paraphernalia, but selling actual DVD's and BluRays didn't seem to be their top priority.

I understand the physical media market is all trending in the opposite direction, but as a collector, I'll miss this place when they (ultimately) close down in a few years......

3. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

No Movie Stops in my vicinity, but I can tell you that HMV Canada has headed in the same direction. The dvd, br and cd sections are tiny and have been replaced by mostly crap and novelty items (grumpy cat pyjamas, retro WWF t-shirts, zombie themed shit).
    I used to be a firm believer in supporting local business first but it just makes more financial sense to order online now. I used to work for Chapter's Canada and shopped there religiously until I saw that they essentially treated their employees like crap and consequently even order all my books online too.
    Saves on gas and Amazon is infinitely cheaper.

4. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I can't help to wonder who exactly is going to be selling the new 4K Blu-ray discs.

5. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Majority of todays retailers are alergic to money.

6. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I echo the sentiment of supporting independent stores instead of chains. That is whether it is online or in a physical store. I also try to still by movies from physical stores as often as possible. Did it recently and just purchasing it that way feels as fun as it was when I was a kid. It is fun going through a physical selection, finding some awesome discs and then buying them. Then the whole time afterward I am walking around constantly taking a peak at what I have just bought like a kid with a toy.

7. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I thought I read people have actually died working at Amazon warehouses. Not really an ideal business to support, either. The whole "but it's cheaper" idea does not justify monopolies and what they do to their employees and the economy at large. At least when businesses are smaller, it is easier to keep them in check. But that could be a crazy long discussion.

8. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

I agree...gone are the days of going to Sam Goody, The Wiz, Tower Records etc.:(

9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

They all put each other out of business. As I remember it, The Wiz was done in by Circuit City which folded when Best Buy took over. Amazon almost did Best Buy in a few years ago (like they did with Borders), but Best Buy changed their business strategy which has proven to be beneficial thus far.

10. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I'm fortunate to have two indie record shops down the street from me: one specializes in new music, while the other is 100% used. In addition, there is a great comic book shop in the neighborhood. These three stores comprise my brick and mortar purchases for entertainment goods. Much of the rest is done online.

I also frequent several local liquor stores, but that's a different market. :D

11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I would agree if small businesses weren't a pain in the ass if you ever want to return an item or didn't overcharge on everything. I can see paying as much as $5 more for a blu ray. Some of them just charge stupid prices and just make me angry. I would hate to see Suspect Video in Toronto go under because they are a great store and are fair. It's going to happen eventually though. I saw on facebook the other day that they are already making a plea for help.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  12. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

For the record Amoeba Records is NOT an indie record store. They are a 20 milion dollors per yer/per store coorperation end of discussion. I loathe them and I refuse to give them a damn penny. They drove out of business all of the local records stores.

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

That's not always a bad thing. The 2 "indie" record stores here are truly shit now. They never have anything, or when they do it's in ass-wiped condition and usually ebay-level priced. Plus their employees are generally complete assholes. Hardly anybody shops in either store these days, and it's easy to see why.

The big bad Hastings store here is just far better in all areas, and I don't feel sorry for the indie stores here at all... they really did it to themselves.

14. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Well, the business I worked at found reasons to lay off or fire employees for being ill rather than acquiesce to requests for time off, even a couple of days to consult a physician.
    They also promised to re-hire their long time staff for seasonal work after the school months were over and then reneged on all offers while hiring new staff.
    They also solicited contributions for charitable causes, the proceeds of which were in constant question as to where they were actually being funneled.
    All the while, charging MSRP on books that were often as much as 30-40% cheaper on amazon.ca and other online retailers.
    A business is a business, if you intend to put yourself in the poorhouse by being admirable and supporting businesses that are doomed to fail facing the rise of internet commerce that's clearly not my intention.
    I'd hardly call amazon a monopoly either, I've used deep discount for films frequently and other online retailers for books as well.
    When I worked security/loss prevention for a large electronics company in the late nineties we were made aware of accidental deaths in some of our warehouses, where forklifts and heavy equipment are used this can happen concerning any corporation.
    Again a business is a business, anyone who deludes themselves into thinking they actually give a damn about their employees or customers in these times is not being realistic. Profits first and foremost, always been that way. Whether you enjoy the experience of going to the mall and physically buying stuff or having it delivered by an online store the end result is the same. Malls and the shopping experience of yesteryear are being rendered obsolete by the advances in technology nothing is going to change that.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  15. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I shop at Amoeba (since it's one of the few music/movie stores still around) but find myself buying less and less. I'll flip through the horror section and the prices are just too steep to justify impulse buys. They'll get "promo" copies of Scream Factory or other label titles with the bar code punched out but still price them well above Amazon - and then they won't buy them back because they're "promos". I've found some good deals and hidden treasures there over the years but more and more I feel like it's not worth the trouble.

16. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

That's true. I got an Amazon gift card for my birthday a few months ago and still haven't used any of it because I keep finding items cheaper elsewhere. I just spent over $100 at Deep Discount during their summer sale. For books, Alibris sends me coupons for purchases pretty much every day and they seem to offer all the same marketplace items Amazon does.

17. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Amoeba is insane and charges full retail on used movies. Sorry but that is absolutely total bullshit in my opinion. There is only a small hanful of record stores left that are indie. As for Amoeba's employees they are snobs/assboles and rude as hell. To be honest I just avoid most record stores sense none of them never have what I want. I usually find what I want online and Amazon prime is the awesome!

18. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Yeah they are nuts $17 for a used copy of Terror Train WTF?¿ Yeah I mentioned a while ago a postman that steals merchandise. I have seen this guy dumping massive amount of shout factory at the bay back counter. All your buying is way over priced stolen merchandise. Also never ever ever sell to Amoeba. Crackhead drug addict employees don't pay you nothing.

19. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Good stuff. I occasionally pay more at a local shop in hopes that I'll still have a place to go. Its also nice to know that at least some of that money is putting food on a neighbors table.

20. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

That's what I've been doing for the last two years. After ordering from amazon for 11 years I quit cold turkey in 2013 (around the same time this thread was posted).
    I buy my groceries and whatever at stores, so why not my Blu-rays as well? No big deal and no hassle. Plus my Blu-ray buying habits went from 15-20 (online) down to 5-7 a month. No more unwatched amazon bargain deals cluttering my shelves, and I'm fine with that.