Camp Classics Contest

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Jun 9, 2007.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Favorite: TROG

When Joan Crawford screams at you...even Troglodytes know best to obey. A seemingly uninteresting film - becomes a monster rampage flick with a Friday the 13th type of bodycount. Silly but fun (and surprisingly bloody).
    With this made in England film and the very late '60's atmosphere, it almost has that flavor of a lost Hammer film of the era.
    Also featuring an early appearance by genre favorite David Warbeck.

...is it true Joan Crawford had to use her car as her dressing room?
    anyone? :D

2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Don't forget Vincent Price tripping out on drugs! :lol:

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

We caught The Tingler on the big screen last October at The Castro. The crowd lost it when Price went off the deep end! :D

4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Had to go with BLACK SAMURAI. Stars Jim Kelly (Enter the Dragon, Black Belt Jones). Directed by Al Adamson (Dracula VS Frankenstein, Satan's Sadists, Horror of the Blood Monsters).

Where else can you find the following all crammed into one movie: kung fu, white slavery ring, satanic midget henchmen, low-tech superspy gadgetry, hashish inspired dubbing, mismatched stuntmen of the wrong ethnicity, and so much more?

The best part is watching Jim Kelly with a straight face the whole time and taking it all 100% seriously! :lol:

Some excerpts for your enjoyment:

The ultimate jet pack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dmsJ9JafhQ

Jim Kelly fights vulture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Z2-rOXlVE

Black Samurai trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbiJQob3U88

5. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Our picks don't have to be Horror, right?

RAD (1986)

[​IMG]

Fan-made trailer

Criminally unavailable (officially) on DVD, RAD was the first film I was ever obsessed with. I had a haircut like the main kid, I had a bike, and I liked that "Send Me an Angel" song when it played over anything in slow-motion; it was practically destiny that I would love this film. I am convinced RAD inspired the XGames. Anyone who sees it, man or woman, boy or girl, wants to ride a BMX bike backwards and make sweet slow-motion love to Lori Loughlin while "Send Me an Angel" plays on a killer boombox in the bedroom--with BMX posters on the wall, and those things are what the XGames are all about.

RAD even has a blonde-haired evil villain guy (think a poor man's William Zabka), complete with cronies (including the evil Cobra twins from the G.I. Joe cartoon, who wear matching uniforms of sort). Perfect. The babes all wear bikinis, the adults are clueless, and the high school kids look about 30. The plot serves only to showcase sweet BMX moves, far sweeter than any wheelies popped in your driveway. There are also about 237 bike races in this movie.

Why is RAD in all caps on the cover art? Because the movie is RADical. Is RAD perhaps an acronym? Maybe. If I thought it up, R would stand for Rad, A would stand for Awesome, and D would stand for raD.

RAD is rad. Rad!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  6. rhett

rhett Administrator

I thought I was the only one who liked "Send me an Angel" in slow motion. RAD was filmed where I live, and I once had the pleasure of walking along one of the film's distinctive tracks. I felt like a child again. Like Rebecca Donaldson was still within arms reach. It's been broadcast in HD, and actually looks pretty nice, so here's hoping it makes it to DVD. You know it would be awesome if the DVD looked like a bike tire, with a lock of Lori's hair included in each limited edition version. Please, god of DVD, send me an angel...right now.

7. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Filmed where you live? Fantastic.

...Right now. :D

8. jefff

jefff Guest

:eek: Can't believe I forgot to mention that one! Love it!

9. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

one of my favorite camp classics is The Killer Shrews. Any movie that tries to pass off dogs with rugs as giant shrews is pure gold in my book. The characters in the movie are so cliche, that it also adds to the camp factor. I think its funny these older scifi/horror films uses the most fucked up scientific explanations for whats going on in the films. lol. I'm surprised this bad boy hasn't been remade, though it'd probably be with CGI shrews.

Those who have not seen it, download it for free (the movie is PD) from:
    http://www.archive.org/details/The_Killer_Shrews

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  10. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Teenagers From Outer Space

An alien adolescent named Derek and a giant killer lobster
    [​IMG]

'nuff said.

11. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

My favorite camp classic is another film starring camp-queen Joan Crawford:

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

You've got Joan, you've got Bette, that make-up and those wonderful lines of dialogue: "But you aaaahhh in that chair, Blanche!". Plus all the stories of on-set rivalry!

[​IMG]

It's just one of those fabulous movies. Almost as good is Hush ... Hush, Sweet Charlotte, starring Bette Davis and Olivia de Havilland replacing Crawford, who couldn't face more Bette. Good times, they must have been.

12. uradouche

uradouche New Member

By Far...

The Toxic Avenger.

Still the best Troma movie - one of my favorites of all time. 2 of the greatest low-budget head crushing scenes of all time.

13. The Doctor

The Doctor New Member

The Swarm (I originally posted this on an MST3K board I frequent, but is such a good writeup I had to repost it):

A late-70's Irwin Allen production (red flag #1) about the attack of millions of African killer bees (red flag #2), who have been breeding with the gentler Nothern bee types, extending their territory nothward decade after decade. When a test of an Air Raid signal draws a swarm of these bees to an outpost, everyone is wiped out with the exception of entomologist Brad Crane. It's never explained how he survived or how he got into a silo for shelter. Instead, we get this lovely piece of dialogue:

[Crane's explanation of how he got inside a locked-down nuclear missile silo]
    Brad Crane: That's a complicated story. It begins a year ago. But let's skip that.

There ya go.

Anyway, he joins with General Richard Widmark and Captain Katherine Ross (amazingly LIKE a Stepford Wife here) to stop the bees from migrating north and wiping out the USA.

Bad subplots? You got 'em. We have a love traingle between the Over The Hill gang of Olivia DeHavilland, Fred MacMurray and Ben Johnson, which ends when all three are killed in a bee-engineered train crash (I forgot to mention, these are INTELLIGENT killer bees. You may start laughing now). We have a nuclear power plant that is destroyed because of the bees, and a boy who survived a bee attack because, while he was on a picnic with his folks, he was sent to get the thermos and avoided being stung by the bees. Mom and Pop weren't so lucky.

Plus, every decision that Crane makes to stop the bees always results in the deaths of more people. This is our hero, ladies and gentlemen. You'll find yourself siding with antagonist Richard Widmark and his more sensible (not by much) solutions.

Leaps in logic are a plenty in this film. The Air Force is sent out with flamethrowers to torch a city of bees (didn't think the AIR FORCE would need flamethrowers). Crane's dumb-as-hell decisions to stop the bees humanely (Dude, these are KILLER BEES! I wouldn't think about humane treatment of them there...). All this and more!

Technical gaffes are a plenty too. From the IMDB:

Revealing mistakes: In the background, a paralyzed scientist in a wheelchair kicks a door open.

Continuity: Helena says they saw dead bee-covered soldiers outside, but no dead soldiers were in evidence earlier when the recon team enter the missile base.

Continuity: The morgue at the base only shows about a dozen bagged corpses, although over twice that number were visible earlier in the movie.

Continuity: Distance between Paul and the bees during the gasoline scene varies wildly depending on the POV of Paul or the bees.

Continuity: As Helena and Crane stroll during the train evacuation, scene changes from early evening to broad daylight.

Continuity: During the ambulance crash, the scene changes briefly from nighttime to broad daylight.

Revealing mistakes: When the stuntman crashes through the window of the base in Houston to fall to his 30-story death, hanging plants can be seen on the outside, revealing he is simply crashing from one room to another.

Anachronisms: The recon team use revolvers, although the standard military sidearm since the 1930s has been the Colt .45 Automatic or the Baretta 9mm.

Crew or equipment visible: As the flamethrower team sets a car on fire, you can briefly glimpse a film crew rushing up with water to put it out.

Errors in geography: A train approaches Houston with mountains in the background.

Errors in geography: When Crane and Helena are standing on the shores of the Gulf of Mexico, they are standing in front of a cliff. There are no cliffs on the Upper Texas coast.

Bad dialogue? You asked for it...

Brad Crane: We've been fighting a losing battle against the insects for fifteen years, but I never thought I'd see the final face-off in my lifetime. And I never dreamed, that it would turn out to be the bees. They've always been our friends.

Brad Crane: Are you endowing these bees with human motives? Like saving their fellow bees from captivity, or seeking revenge on Mankind?
    General Thalius Slater: I always credit my enemy, no matter what he may be, with equal intelligence.

[The Air Force is torching Houston to get rid of the bees]
    General Slater: Houston on fire. Will history blame me, or the bees?

[Crane has found something at the ravaged picnic site]
    Brad Crane: [holding it up] Plastic. It's a piece of a plastic cup. There are pieces all around here.
    [he starts pointing out the other fragments]
    Brad Crane: Look. Look, there. There. There.
    General Slater: What's so significant about that?
    Brad Crane: I'm afraid to speculate. But, I think, the bees, did this.
    Major Baker: Are you saying these bees eat plastic?
    Brad Crane: No, no. But I'm wondering. Your American Honeybee has a weak mouth, that couldn't even break the skin, of a grape. But it looks like this species, is tearing up, plastic cups, possibly to line their hives. Now, if this is true, they didn't, just get here. I mean, the invasion, didn't, just now begin. They have been here some time. Breeding. Increasing.
    General Slater: So?
    Brad Crane: Well, suppose these bees, are using plastic, to insulate their hives.
    General Slater: No bee is that smart.
    Brad Crane: Suppose these African bees are.

[after Crane leaves the missile silo's mortuary]
    Major Baker: I noticed Dr. Crane seemed uneasy in here.
    Dr. Krim: I can't imagine why anyone would be uneasy around all these *dead men*. Can you, Major?

Brad Crane: These bees, General, are of joint concern, and they are killing Americans, without reference as to whether or not they have a serial number and are expected to salute YOU! So there will be no air drops of any kind until I give the OK!
    General Slater: Your OK, huh? Then just possible I can persuade you to attack this particular swarm, now that we know where it is! Attack and eliminate it!
    Brad Crane: Possibly, if you can explain to me, how you air drop chemicals, without killing the native insect life! If your chemical will kill the African bee, it will also kill the American bee, right?
    General Slater: Right! And better a few American bees than a lot of AMERICAN PEOPLE!
    Brad Crane: That is the point, general! The honey bee is vital to the environment! Every year in america, they pollinate six billion dollars worth of crops! If you kill the bee, you're gonna kill the crop! If you kill the plants, you'll kill the people! No! No, general! There will be no air drop, until we know exactly, what we are dropping, and where, and how! Excuse me!
    [Crane storms off]

[Slater is about to attack the swarm with a highly toxic pesticide]
    Brad Crane: General, if you use that, nothing will grow out there for the next ten years!
    General Slater: Why worry about shaving when somebody's going to cut your head off!

[Watching Crane pray after Helena suffers toxic shock from a bee sting]
    Major Baker: Can we really count on a scientist who prays?
    General Slater: I wouldn't count on one who doesn't.

There's more, but these are just the highlights.

Let's not forget that, to make the bees scarier, Allen had each sting victim hallucinate a giant bee. This comes off more as SILLY than scary. Jesus, Allen didn't have a clue what he was doing.

Let's not forget this little end credits disclaimer:

"The African killer bee portrayed in this film bears absolutely no
    relationship to the industrious, hard-working, American honey bee to which we are indebted for pollinating vital crops that feed our nation."

There's also unintentional racism when the characters start to refer to the bees as "the Africans." Apparently, nobody read the script to fix this little error.

Despite all of these flaws, I love it's little campy heart. Irwin Allen made one of the best comedies of the 70s, and didn't set out to do that.

14. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

There is: Super Fuzz DVD @ Amazon

I own this and saw it in theaters when I was young too. Great flick!

15. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I'll give a nod to this one:

[​IMG]

A popcorn movie all the way, it's a fun little zombie romp from inside a nuclear factory out to the open. Loads of hilarious dialogue, complete with bad voice over dubbing and goofy action scenes galore. Not to mention the visual carnage that takes place when the zombies rip those dunderheads to bits, all to the beat of a pretty groovy soundtrack.

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

[​IMG]

The Dirt Bike Kid (1985)
    I grew up watching Peter Billingsly ride a dirt bike that came alive and would flash it's brights at bad guys. What's not to love about this campy comedy? You get a supercharged flying dirt bike, fat bad guys trying to demolish a hot dog stand, dirt bike racing, and that classic 80's kid-conquers-big business storyline. Charming, campy, fun, and a childhood favorite of mine. This is my campy classic! NOW WHERE IS THE FRICKEN' DVD!?!

17. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I have to go with Sleepaway Camp. This film managed to give us the creeps when we were younger and has (for better or worse) stayed with many of us and gone into our collections in one of the more memorable boxsets.

I love seeing this again every time I do. There is some priceless dialogue..."eat shit and live"...and the mother is creepier than the dead Mrs. Bates.

I first saw it a party with about nine other kids my age in junior high. We were freaked about the weird sexuality and violence and we laughed (even then) at the production values. Seeing it again, I kind of marvel at the discontinuity in scenes, but that kind of problem typically works in the favor of genre stuff of the period and the "rough-around-the-edge" qualities make it seem more "grindhouse", which is certainly is.

But this is one to see under a big tent, and outside with a bunch of kids at a summer camp back in the eighties. Ah, summer camp memories were of more than Crystal Lake.

18. BLOOD LAKE!!!
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0299551/
    When a bunch of drunken redneck teenagers spend two weeks at a lake with a videocamera, Blood Lake is the glorious result. Thank god this movie exists.

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I kept wanting to type up something clever but since we're down to the wire:

Batman: The Movie

I loved it as a kid. I use to walked two miles to the rental store and check it out with my weekly allowance money. My dad made me walk because he was sick of me asking him to drive there. My favorite bit was always with the cartoon explosive, "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb." Classic. The fact that Lee Meriwether as Catwoman caught my eye as a small lad probably explains a few things too...

20. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I was lucky enough to have caught this one at a drive-in in the late 70's on a triple bill,it's great fun.I treasure the memory of Adam West dangling from a rope ladder,punching a rubber shark in the head.Thank God for the Bat-Shark Repelent !