Can anyone tell me what the deal is with Boogeyman II: Redux?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by snowbeast323, Nov 17, 2008.

1. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

I recently bought Uli Lommel's Boogeyman and Boogeyman II
    ........but the only thing was Boogeyman II turned out to be Boogeyman II: Redux......
    What is this? Is it the actual sequel? I doubt that as it's just the first film again with some guy randomly appearing now and again.
    Does anyone know the deal?

2. ScottB

ScottB Guest

The DVD is some weird re-edit which Lommel figures was an "improvement" over the original 80's film. It really is a totally different film, and not in a good way. I think the only way to see the original "Boogeman II" is to track down the old VHS print. It is amusing to view this film as good at all in ANY form, but the DVD release truly makes it worse than it already was. I think the sequel might hold the record for re-using footage from the original; only "Silent Night Deadly Night II" and the old "Hills Have Eyes Part II" (directed by Wes Craven) might take it on in a cage match in this regard.

3. lanemyer774

lanemyer774 Member

Does anyone here own this version of Boogeyman 2, released by Gemstone Entertainment? According to DVD Aficionado, it's supposed to be the "Original Uncut Version" from 1983. Does that mean that it's unaltered, unlike the "Director's Cut"? I've looked on Amazon & IMDB but all reviews & discussions speak of only the Director's Cut.

[​IMG]

4. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I have no idea, but I'm interested to know also. I finally got the 1983 VHS and I really, really like the film. I hate what happened to it on the Image DVD.

5. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I had no idea they did this, so in the DVD version of Boogeyman 2 the whole story of the Butler with the piece of broken mirror is gone?

6. foller

foller Active Member

The original uncut version will be released as a RC2 disc in Germany soon. It will be part of a box set with all 3 Boogeyman films. According to some German forums it will be released as a single disc, too.

Attached Files:

7. lanemyer774

lanemyer774 Member

I own the Director's Cut but have merely just skimmed through it to see what the hype was about. I didn't want it to ruin the original part 2 for me as I wanted to see that first before all the added stuff. I have one on the way, same that I had pictured earlier. So I'll be able to compare the two of them in the near future. I also have Return of the Boogeyman which I believe is considered to be part 3. I know that one also re-uses scenes from part 1. What an odd & confusing series.

8. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

My review of BOOGEYMAN II: REDUX aka BOOGEYMAN II: DIRECTOR'S CUT:

Ok, first of all, let's not get our bad movies confused, ok? The BOOGEYMAN and BOOGEYMAN 2 I am talking about here aren't the ones from 2005 and 2008. No, you young whippersnappers, those are two OTHER bad movies that are ALSO called BOOGEYMAN and BOOGEYMAN 2. I guess those are the bad BOOGEYMAN 1 and 2 movies for the new millenium. Every generation gets bad BOOGEYMAN movies and these are yours.

No, the BOOGEYMAN 1 and 2 I am talking about are the ones from the 1980's. For those of you too young to remember, the 80's were an ancient time sort of like the stone age, only instead of dinosaurs we had betamax videotape players.

Anyway, the original non-director's cut of BOOGEYMAN 2 (1983) was bad enough, since it was already about 50% flashbacks consisting of footage from the first BOOGEYMAN movie from 1980. Imagine how those excited 80's audiences felt when they went to see the sequel and got to see the first movie all over again!

But no, THIS version of BOOGEYMAN 2 is even MORE fucked up than that.

BOOGEYMAN 2 DIRECTOR'S CUT is BOOGEYMAN 2, but with almost all of the ORIGINAL footage from BOOGEYMAN 2 cut out, and replaced with a bunch of footage from BOOGEYMAN they missed the first time - and then in a lame attempt to break the fourth wall, adding some new shot-on-video footage of director Ulli Lommel talking to the camera as if he is in a police interview talking about the murders in the movie. Yeah, he is trying to make it seem like the murders really happened during the filming of the movie. He must have gone out to see BLAIR WITCH PROJECT and gotten inspired or something.

So basically BOOGEYMAN 2 DIRECTORS CUT is just the first BOOGEYMAN movie yet again, only this time its hacked up, pasted back together, and some lame videotape footage that doesn't even match the film is spliced into it. Then a "Director's Cut" label gets slapped onto this steaming pile of shit like a badge of honor.

Even worse, this isn't the first time Ulli Lommel has pulled this crap. Witness THE RETURN OF THE BOOGEYMAN (1994). This is basically THE BOOGEYMAN again with some new crappy looking footage spliced in of one of the characters talking to a shrink. Sound familiar?

Ulli Lommel must be determined to make a career out of re-cutting and re-releasing THE BOOGEYMAN over and over again, in between releasing trashy shot-on-video semi-documentaries about serial killers.

In the "special features" of BOOGEYMAN 2 DIRECTOR'S CUT Lommel threatens us with even more BOOGEYMAN sequels. He should be put into a REAL police lineup and made to answer for his crimes.

9. lanemyer774

lanemyer774 Member

Funny thing about this is that the Director's Cut DVD has trailers for parts 3 & 5 on it. What the hell happened to 4?!

10. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I like the cover art for that box set. I like the original alot...and find the original version of 2 amusing but horrible. 3 is pretty much as bad as movies get.

11. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

:lol:

this sounds insane.

12. Dusk

Dusk New Member

Would anyone consider upping these 2 trailers to YouTube or ripping the files for me? I need to view these for research but want to weasel out of buying the whole dang DVD.

13. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

What was with the 80s and making sequels that consisted of 80% flashback scenes. Boogeyman 2, Return of Boogeyman (Actually 1994 but using footage from the 80s original), Hills Have Eyes 2, Silent Night Deadly Night 2. Can anyone think of anymore?

14. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Criminally Insane 2

15. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

Where can I buy the 3 DVD set? I'd like to buy it a reasonable cost.

16. lanemyer774

lanemyer774 Member

17. springjack

springjack New Member

On the back of the box you have a bonus movie on dvd 4: Devonsville Terror
    ________
    VERMONT MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  18. springjack

springjack New Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  19. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

Shit, when did this thread come back to life?

20. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

It comes back to life almost as often as Ulli Lommel re-cuts and re-releases BOOGEYMAN movies.