Can someone explain Ichi the Killer?

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by MorallySound, Jun 12, 2005.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I watched Ichi the Killer last night and I still can't figure out exactly what was going on in this movie... Can somebody please tell me whats going on in the movie?

2. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Could you perhaps specify what part(s) you didn't understand, using spoiler tags of course.

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I don't think any of this info will spoil anything:

I get the whole gang wars/boss kidnapping story. I just don't get the whole Ichi backstory and the role of Gigi and what not. It's all too loose ended. And why Ichi is sent to kill.

4. logboy

logboy Guest

tsukamoto, ichi's uncle has brain washed him into believing that a girl he liked at school was raped by bullies... he uses his anger to battle gangs by suggesting they look like the bullies from his school days. all the confusion and connections between violence (rape) and sexuality (rape) leads ichi to be sexually aroused by violence. kakihara (tadanobu asano) is a sadistic S&M loving yakuza who has fantasies of dying at the hands of ichi. and all sorts of other stuff too...

5. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Anybody seen the Ichi anime, you gotta love the "shooting the moon" scene.

I've heard so much about all the gore in Miike's Ichi, but I've seen the unrated version about 5 times and can't back that. It really doesn't have that much. Still, the underlying themes (I've never read the comic so I don't know if that's drawn specificallly from it, taking that it's from Japan I don't have any doubts that it is) drawn out by him are truly sick and demented. Excellent film, watch it a few more times and if you get the chance, try and find more Ichi1, it will help in what your looking for.

6. Spacevis

Spacevis There's some Dettol in the jeep!

hey, it's takashi miike, don't try to understand everything. just enjoy the ride!! :D

7. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

That's right! Who cares if the ride always ends up on the hershey highway.

8. tobaccoman

Don't believe them (ok, believe 'em), but it's not JUST Takashi Miike. It's actually adapted from source material so there is further research that you can indulge in if you care to.

9. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

He's going to do a another that takes place before that film.

10. tobaccoman

Really? That means it will be completed in like what... another week we'll be seeing the trailer! Sweet!

11. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Never mind, it's just Ichi-1 which will be release in R1.

Based on the original manga, Ichi-1 is the prequel to Takashi Miike’s Ichi the Killer. Nao Omori stars as Shiro Ishi (the future Ichi) and Teah is Dai, the best fighter at the local high school. Whenever Dai gets into a fight, Ichi is voyeuristically watching nearby, enjoying the brutality. Dai confronts him but Ichi cannot tear himself away from the bloodshed. It is as though he feeds on the violence. Everywhere Ichi goes he is considered a weakling and is bullied, taunted and made fun of. Even the younger kids from his karate class show him no respect, but Ichi refuses to fight back. However, on a fateful summer’s day, Ichi is pushed too far by a group of his fellow students. The rage inside him is finally unleashed and he flies into a violent fury. The maniacal psyche that dwells beneath the surface is revealed in all its horror and his tormentors pay the ultimate price. Back at school, Dai is confronted by Onizame, the new boy in town. Onizame is a Hapkido master and is out to relieve Dai of his "best fighter" status. In a ferocious display of fighting prowess, Onizame succeeds by severely beating Dai into submission. Word of Ichi’s slaughter of his tormentors soon spreads throughout the school and the stage is set. It’s time for a showdown. The best fighters in school versus Ichi the Killer. Who will survive the mayhem and become number 1?

12. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

13. tobaccoman

I've heard about this prequel, but haven't seen it. Is it any good? I have the anime which takes place before the Miike movie, but would always be interested in another part of this story. I thought it was the animation that was going to be released here soon, but I also know there is another live-action movie which also plays out as a prequel (Isn't it directed by the "Charlie Brown" character from "Kill Bill?").

14. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Oh man, the prequel is complete ass. It sucks SOOOOOOO bad! It's poorly edited and written and VERY hard to make it through. The last scene is OK, maybe.

15. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Come on mcchrist, it wasn't that bad.

Ok, it was not as good as Ichi the killer. But, ichi-1 was still good.

16. mcchrist

Nah, it was the single worst asian film I've ever seen.

17. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Nothing can be as bad as Stacy... goddamn that is a terrible terrible terrible shitty sucky movie.

18. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

which one?

19. mcchrist

1-Ichi.

Stacy was a little less than OK, but compared to 1-Ichi, Stacy's a fucking masterpiece.

20. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I'm not even going to bother with Ichi-1 since I love original Ichi way too much. I did however make the mistake of buying the anime, which is highly suggest no one do, unless you love watching crap. Then by all means, knock yourself out....