Canada/ US Blu Ray Differences and Comparisons

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by spawningblue, Jul 14, 2011.

1. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I couldn’t seem to find any sites or threads that have a list of all the US/ Canada Blu Rays that are different, making one inferior over the other, so I decided to start this one. It all started after buying a few Blu Ray discs only to find out that the Canadian (Or is some cases US) disc is missing a lossless audio track like their counterpart, or is in a different/ wrong aspect ratio, or is missing some extras, ect. I hope this thread can help others from making the same mistakes I have and wasting their money on inferior discs. Most of us know to stay away from the extraless Canadian Alliance releases, but in some cases it's harder to see that their is a difference until you have already wasted your hard earned cash on it.

I have left off discs that are country specific exclusive discs (aka. Allaince’s barebones releases) as this is more of a comparison list. I have made a few exceptions to this rule though if the other country has a DVD out that has extra bonus material, as I know that is important to some people. I also left off packaging details like one country getting an exclusive slipcover or steelbook, as they are already covered on many other great threads.

PS If any of this info is inaccurate or you have some extra info that I am missing, please let me know! I have put this list together from my own discs/ experiences, back of cases (Which aren’t always that accurate!), reviews, ect. Because of this there may be a few mishaps.

Inferior Canadian Releases

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans – Missing lossless 5.1 audio track, OAR is slightly opened up to 1:78:1 from 1:85:1, photo gallery is about 8mins. shorter. It almost makes up for it though with an extra trailer, and 30 mins. of exclusive interviews.

Brooklyn’s Finest – In the wrong aspect ratio, 1:78:1 instead of 2:40:1. It is also missing the commentary found on the US disc.

Carlos - Canadian Blu put out by Mongrel Media is inferior to the Criterion release in every way. Criterion release includes a lossless DTS HD track over the 5.1 lossy track, better video, and way more extras. The Canadian release includes a couple exclusive extras including a 20 min. Interview with Olivier Assayas, a 5 min. Interview with Edgar Ramirez, and its' original French trailer. Criterion includes many exclusive extras including: Selected Scenes Commentary, 43 min. Interview with Olivier Assayas, 20 min. Interview with Edgar Ramirez, 14 min. Interview with Denis Lenoir, 59 min. documentary "Carlos: Terrorist Without Borders", 39 min. Interview with Hans-Joachim Klein, 89 min. documentary "Maison de France", and finally it includes the Criterion standard booklet.

Centurion - Missing 7.1 DTS HD track, only has 5.1 DTS HD.

Che – Although the Criterion release is probably the way to go (It includes a commentary, deleted scenes, and hours of other extras) the Canadian release is still worth checking out for the 75 min. of exclusive extras. These include a 10 min. “Making Of…” featurette, 13-minute Steven Soderbergh interview, a 6 min. interview with Benicio Del Toro, a 12 min. interview with composer Alberto Iglesias and a 31 min. conversation with consultant Jon Lee Anderson author of ‘Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life‘. It also includes trailers for each part, where the Criterion edition only includes the one trailer.

Dead Snow – Hard to confirm but it looks like the Canadian Blu may be missing some extras. Here’s what is has compared to the US Blu Ray. Ein Zwei Die: The Making Of Dead Snow, Special Effects’ Featurette, Make-Up’ Featurette, Cast & Crew At Sundance Featurette, Trailers.

The US Blu has Behind Dead Snow (SD, 18:39), Special Make-Up Effects of Dead Snow (SD, 6:30), Madness in the North! (SD, 48:56), Madness in the West! (SD, 17:50), VFX (SD, 3:19), Burning the Cabin (SD, 1:01), The Sounds of Dead Snow (SD, 5:42), Outtakes (SD, 2:03), Original Theatrical Trailer (SD, 2:36), Teaser Trailer (SD, 00:54).

Comparing them it looks like some of the extras may be the same just labeled a little differently. Either way it looks like the Canadian Blu is missing Behind Dead Snow (SD, 18:39), Burning the Cabin (SD, 1:01), The Sounds of Dead Snow (SD, 5:42), and Outtakes (SD, 2:03).

Dragon Tattoo Trilogy - If you go by the single disc releases, the Canadian Blus trump the US discs.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – Canadian disc includes an extra interview with Producer Soren Staermose (12 mins.)

The Girl Who Played with Fire – The Canadian Blu includes a few exclusive extras. Short interviews with several cast and crew (15 min.) and a short featurette on choreographing a fight scene in the film between the Neidermann and Roberto characters (10 min.). Strangely though it is missing its' trailer which is found on the US disc, and is the only film in the trilogy to be missing such.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest – The Canadian Blu contains two extras missing from the US Blu, an interview with Noomi Rapace and an interview with Michael Nyqvist.

If you buy the US Trilogy box set though, it comes with an extra fourth disc that includes everything that was missing from the Canadian Blus (Although the interview with Producer Soren Staermose from the first movie is still strangely absent) and an extra 50 min. doc. titled Millennium: The Story which is a biography on the author of the books Stieg Larsson.

Gnomeo and Juliet (2D and 3D Version) - Only the deleted and alternate scenes are found on the Blu Ray discs. The rest of the extras are only on the DVD. These include three featurettes (Elton Builds a Garden, Frog Talk with Ashley Jensen, The Fawn of Darkness) and the Crocodile Rock music video. All features are 1080p on the US discs as well.

The Good, The Bad, The Weird – Only has SDH subs, where as US release contains proper subs and SDH subs.

Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus – Has OAR slightly opened up to 1:75:1 instead of its proper 1:85:1 like the US Blu. This is so minor though it’s almost not worth mentioning.

Law Abiding Citizen – Canadian Theatrical and Unrated Blus released separately, unlike the US edition which is a 2 disc set. Commentary is unfortunately only included with the Theatrical disc.

Ong Bak 3 - Canadian release is missing Ong Bak 3: Making of a Legend (15min.), Behind the Scenes: Uncovering the Action (6 min.), and HDNet: A Look at Ong Bak 3 (3 min.). As well, the Cast and Crew Interviews are almost 4 min. shorter. In return the Canadian disc has 14.5 min. of B roll footage, and a longer trailer.

Stake Land – Has OAR slightly opened up to 2:35:1 instead of its proper 2:39:1 like the US Blu. This is so minor though it’s almost not worth mentioning.

Suck – Seems to be in the wrong aspect ratio 1:78:1 instead of 1:85:1. It also seems to be missing the Commentary by Stefaniuk and DP Hagey, the Flesh and Bone Music Video, and the Theatrical Trailer found on the US Blu.

Vanishing on 7th Street – Canadian Blu is missing the Commentary, Alternate Endings, Revealing the Vanishing on 7th Street featurette, Creating the Mood on 7th Street featurette, Behind the Scenes Montage, HDNet: A Look at Vanishing on 7th Street, and Theatrical Trailer.

The Wrestler – Canadian Blu is missing the 42 min. “Within the Ring” documentary. Movie is possibly 4 mins. Longer?

Superior Canadian Releases

Fido – There still is no US Blu released, so in that regards Canada wins here. There are some minor differences in the extras though between the Canadian Blu and the US DVD. The Canadian Blu has an exclusive Art Gallery and a “Night of the Living” short. Unfortunately it is missing the 5 min. “The Making of Fido” featurette and the 2 min. Blooper Reel.

Fubar 2 – Canadian Blu features an extra 40 mins. of deleted scenes, an extra commentary with Terry and Deaner in character, and a Terry and Deaner Featurette.

It also includes the first movie on Blu as a bonus, which isn’t even out in the US yet. This disc includes a Filmmaker Commentary, Terry & Dean Commentary, 3 Music Videos [3:06] [3:56] [2:45], Deleted Scenes with Introductions [20:16] (7 Scenes in all, including 'The Package' short film), Trailers: Short [0:43] & Long [2:24], and an Unadvertised Soundtrack Spot [0:31].

The Ghost Writer - Canadian Blu includes the uncut International edit of the film, while the US release is the cut PG 13 version. I believe the length of the film is the same, but in the US version the swear words are dubbed over.

Rec/ Rec 2 – These films haven’t received a US Blu release, so if you want to watch them in hi def the Canadian Blus are the way to go. Comparing the extras to the US DVD releases though it looks as if the US Blus, shall they ever come, may include different extras.

The Rec 2 US DVD includes three featurettes not present on the Canadian Blu as well as a different and slightly longer behind the scenes featurette, while the Canadian Blu includes an extra interview gallery and deleted scenes for part 1 and an almost 2 hour making of for part 2 not found on the US DVDs.

Red Hill – Canadian Blu has 10 min. of deleted scenes including a longer ending, 10 min. of storyboard comparisons, and a 30 min. documentary. US Blu is barebones.

A Town Called Panic - Since there is no Blu Ray in the US for this film, Canada is the way to go. Should be noted though they each include their own batch of extras, and its debatable which are better. The Canadian Blu includes pre-production animatics, 18 deleted scenes, 5 line tests, and the original "A Town Called Panic" short film from 1991. The US DVD includes the 54 min. "La Fabrique De Panique" documentary, a shorter reel of deleted scenes, test shot comparisons, video interview clips with Aubier and Patar, "Obsessive Compulsive" short film, and the U.S. theatrical trailer.

Equal but Different Canada/ US Releases

Animal Kingdom - Both releases have a commentary, over hour long documentary and trailer. Us Blu-Ray has an extra 33 min. Q&A with Director David Michôd and Actors Jacki Weaver and James Frenchville, while the Canadian Blu instead has 18 min. of interviews with various cast and crew, as well as a shot 3 min. behind the scenes featurette.

Antichrist – I believe this is the same as the Criterion release minus the fancy packaging and essay booklet.

DOA: Dead or Alive - Canadian release has a lossless DTS HD track while the US release only has a lossy 5.1 audio track. Unfortunately there is no perfect release as the Canadian release is missing the extras found on the US release, these include a featurette entitled East Meets West (11 min.), Deleted Scenes (6 min.), and the Theatrical Trailer.

Harry Brown - Canadian Blu is missing commentary, but in turn has 40 min. of interviews and its’ trailer. So I guess your preference weighs on whether you prefer your extras in commentary or interview form.

Heartless – There is no US Blu Ray for this, but the Canadian Blu is missing several extras from the US DVD. These include: Commentary, Behind the Scenes featurette, BIFA Awards featurette, Audience Reactions, 2 Music Videos, and 2 Trailers. Obviously if you only care about video and audio then the Canadian Blu is still the way to go, but if you care about extras you may want to wait for the eventual US Blu.

The Horde – Since there is no US release technically the Canadian disc is the way to go. On the other hand if you care about extras, you may want to wait for the eventual US release as this Blu is missing from the US DVD: 8 min. Alternate Opening, 8 min. Short Film “Rivoallan”, and the US and French trailer.

Pulse - Both releases have a slightly different aspect ratio, both different from the 2:39:1 original theatrical ratio. US release is 2:40:1, while Canadian release is opened up a little at 2:35:1.

I Sell the Dead – Looks like the Canadian release is missing the trailer and a comic book. Not really a huge deal. I’m more interested in the aspect ratio between the two releases. The Canadian Blu looks like it is 2:40:1, while the US release is 2:35:1. The theatrical release was 2:39:1. Although probably only a minor difference it looks like the Canadian release may have the closer OAR.

White Noise/ White Noise 2 – Again since there is no US Blu’s out there for these releases technically they are the best route to go. Though there are a few things that should be noted. These are only 1080i, part 1 is missing the deleted scenes that were on the US DVD, and I’ve heard that the second film’s audio goes out of sync.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Definitely superior to the US Blu-ray.

I bought it from Inetvideo a few months back for about $23. Fubar II looks quite amazing in 1080p. The original Fubar doesn't look too hot (most likely due to the source material), but at least it's anamorphic unlike the old DVD.

I'd also throw in the Halloween Triple Feature Blu-ray (The Curse of Michael Myers / H20: 20 Years Later / Resurrection), which at least has the films presented in the OAR.

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i'm curious to know definitively about the antichrist issue. if the one i got for $6 at blockbuster has the exact same content as the $40 criterion disc, i may be willing to settle. I'll print out a version of the criterion cover, and then it will fit in with my collection. yeah, im weird like that. printed criterion covers for my dead ringers, blood for dracula, and flesh for frankenstein dvds. All have the same (or better) as the OOP criterions.

4. blu

blu New Member

Definitely agree with this inclusion. They also have DTS-HD MA 5.1 versus stereo on the USA counterparts.

5. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I was unaware of this. I'll probably pick up this release then since I have yet to buy the Blu-ray.

6. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

You're right on all counts except for Dead Ringers. The Cronenberg commentary and text/photo features on the Criterion disc are not on the WB re-release.

7. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The U.S. version is embarrassing. I haven't seen the dubbing this bad since the television edit of Scarface ("Where did you get that scar? Eating pineapple?). :nervous:

8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

but they are on this version:

[​IMG]

im fairly sure it's only available in canada. it's literally the same disc image as that of the criterion. the menu even says "the criterion collection"

9. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

It can't be that bad. I saw it in theaters and didn't even know it was censored until I saw this thread.

10. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Caught this from the library and didn't know or notice this at all. Of course I can't remember anything from the film except feeling "ehh" about it.

I might be the only person who wants the TV audio of Scarface on the Blu-ray. That shit is funny! I also get a kick out of edited rap cds, so I guess I'm a bit off the beaten path.:)

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

LMAO seriously? Is it even an authorized release if it still has the Criterion menu? TVA Films is a legit company, but that's pretty fucking odd. They put out a pretty sweet edition of Terror Train a while back that had more features than the US release from Fox - had photo galleries and a teaser trailer as well as the theatrical trailer.

Is the transfer on the TVA Dead Ringers still non-anamorphic?

~Matt

12. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I was thinking of adding those but I tried to stay away from Alliance' barebones releases, as they are usually in the wrong aspect ratio, not 1080p, and missing all the DVD extras, and in most cases inferior releases. I think I will be leaving off Echo Bridge releases as well as they are pretty much the US equivalent of Alliance' releases. Yes, in this case the Alliance set is the way to go, but they still aren't even 1080p and are missing all the DVD extras.

13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Halloween: Resurrection is 1080p.

~Matt

14. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

This is true which is sad considering the best part of that movie is the first 10 minutes with Jamie Lee Curtis.

15. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

The Canadian Alliance release of From Dusk Till Dawn pisses all over the recent US version, There is a big difference in PQ.

16. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

That's only cause Echo Bridge didn't give a shit about product quality.

17. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

Someone should tell them that's the whole point of the format, Why the feck did Miramax let EB near their titles for, $$$ I suppose :confused:

18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, the transfer is the same, from what i can tell. i mean if they didn't even bother to change the menu, i doubt they would get around to changing the transfer. the disc cover gives credit to criterion, so i think its legit.

19. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Deleted Perfect Storm off the list as even though the back of the Canadian Blu states it only has a 5.1 EX mix, the disc actually does include the 5.1 Tru HD track.

I also added Ong Bak 3 to the list since the Canadian Blu is missing quite a few extras.

20. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

The Canadian PIRANHA (2010) has better artwork and one the best slipcases ever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]