CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST Limited Edition 2 Disc Set

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Derrick Howes, Nov 6, 2003.

1. http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=2275

Ruggero Deodato's excellent film gets another release from EC Entertainment. Looks like EC might get 3rd time lucky with this release, it will look nice next to the Italian release which stands proudly in my collection.

2. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

PAL???? NOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo.......

3. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Wow, they have that for pretty cheap. I was excited as hell too until I saw that it was PAL. Oh well, less tempting to splurge when I know Grindhouse will still release it eventually.

4. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Just pre ordered it and I am totally excited. I doubt grindhouse will release as good of a version unless they too release either a double disc version as well or a single disc version with no extras at high quality!

5. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

just ordered this too. they are in Ohio and I'm in MI. so this shouldn't to long to get to me when it ships.

6. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan New Member

Sorry if this sounds rude but ...

I'm a little sick and tired of everyone going pooh pooh over PAL releases.

This is horror/cult/exploitation movies we are talking about. Not Hollywood big budget product.

It has always been difficult to get some (or many) of the movies from this genre if you only limited yourself to USA NTSC releases.

Over the years I've gone through many EXPENSIVE multi-system video gear so I could play VHS and LaserDiscs from all over the world. It was not uncommon to pay $100 on say a Japanese LaserDisc of CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST. That was the only way to get it UNCUT and it excellent quality.

These days you guys got DVD and you can buy a region free multi-system PAL to NTSC DVD player for $79.95

I'm talking about the Cyberhome CH-DVD 500 which is the BEST such player out there for PAL to NTSC conversion.

So in short I have no sympathy for anyone that bitches and moans about imports (which are generally never more than $30 unless it's a Jap import and even those are generally no more than $50) when the equipment to play this stuff is so cheap and works so darn well.

Even if you don't have such a stand alone player you could still buy the import and RIP it to your computer and either watch it on your computer monitor or TV using the TV out of the computer. If you have a DVD burner (and the excellent NEC 4x DVD-R/+R burner is down to around $110 now) you can even convert the DVD yourself on the computer to NTSC so you can play it back on any standard USA DVD player.

So enough with the "oh it's PAL" bitching :D

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

7. Numania

Numania Guest

This is one movie that really doesn't deserve a 2-disk limited edition. It may have been effective when it came out, but now it is boring. I didn't look to see what was on the second disk, but it can't be worth it.
    This movie is overhyped. I have one copy, and that's enough. Christ, to think I paid $30 for mine a bunch of years ago...I should've waited for some shitty resurfacing on eBay.
    You want to see animals get killed and skinned? Do it in your own backyard.

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

"Limited Edition" :D

If PAL is a problem, then your TV and/or DVD player must simply suck. It's a pity that in the US, everything doesn't do both NTSC and PAL - the rest of the world has figured it out, why does the US lack it?

9. Each to their own, but please don't throw your toys out of your pram because others like this film. The animal killings are not extreme to the point of sickening, do they need to be in there - not for me to answer - Deodato thought so, he is the director and I respect the director's vision.

I for one will not be buying the MONDO CANE collection - just not for me - but I certainly won't attack people who do.

Do I enjoy CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST? Damn right I do, it is a stunning film and one I enjoy time and time again. Ok the wife doesn't like it but when I asked why, it was the rape scenes she disliked. They are not real but she finds them more shocking than the animal killings.

So bring on the 2 Disc Set, still looking forward to the Grindhouse release.

10. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Everyone has a right to their opinion. I love Cannibal films. As far as encouraging people to kill animals in their back yard instead, I don't understand the logic. At least watching cannibal films allows one to watch the same torture over and over without any more new animals needing to be killed. But you know what, I am probably not alone in saying that the animal torture scenes are hard to watch even for those of us who enjoy watching cannibal films. I hate the rape scenes in movies like I spit on Your Grave, yet I like the revenge scenes because those parts of the film are basically slasher-esque and are somewhat morally justified. Sometimes you take the bad with the good. When I am in a supermarket, I skip the meat section and go for tofu. I also try to keep away from animal products as a whole although I admit I am nowhere near vegan. I am not expecting a medal here, I am just saying that some of us are hardly about killing animals in real life. Cannibal films slipped under the ethical radar. Mind you, so did the Presidancy of George W. Bush. Don't get me started there.

Yeah, Multi Region players are so cheap I don't understand why people don't fork out the extra cash instead of rebuying Army of Darkness every time AB rereleases it. And you know what, when AB starts once again rereleasing all their titles on some sort of Superbit or HD format, more people will fork over yet more money to buy them...Again! Instead, I'd recommend all to buy a multi region player so they can expand their collection to include the likes of the Night of the Demons boxset, the Mutilator, and probably the best version of Cannibal Holocaust that is soon to be released by EC.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2003
  11. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

Bullshit. THere's no justification for hurting or killing a living creature of any kind for film/video/TV. THere's something rather wrong with anybody who thinks there is. Yes it's a good film, and yes, stuff like that happens all the time int he world, but not for entertainment. If you think the cruelty isn't extreme you have serious problems. And for the record, just about everybody I know, horror fan or not, is pretty appaled by the animal killings in this and other Cannibal

12. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I have not bought a PAL capable dvd player because I have a Denon dvd player that has about the best pic quality I've ever seen. While I wouldn't mind having some of the PAL releases I do not want to buy a cheap dvd player with inferior pic quality. I'll just wait for the NTSC release. That's why I pooh pooh PAL releases. :)

And just for the record I love Cannibal Holocaust. Hurry up Grindhouse!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2003
  13. Good start to your message, nothing quite says it like bad language. Now you have got that out of your system, lets get to the meat of your problem. So what you are saying is that as long as an animal is not killed for film/video/TV then we are all justified in killing them for food ... let me see, I think you are being shall we say, dim. There is no cruelty towards animals in this film, no animal is tortured, yes animals are killed, but if you really think that all animals die clean with no pain, then you are very misguided. So for the record everybody you know is pretty appalled by the animal killings, good for them - but they still had to watch this and every other film even though they knew there were scenes of animals being killed - I have never understood that, funny how people are never sickened by animal killings until they sit down and watch one of these films :sleepy: ... don't forget APOCALYPSE NOW what Francis Ford Coppola did to that poor creature at the end, and not forgetting SOUTHERN COMFORT that Walter Hill should be strung up for what he was responsible for :bs: .

14. etale

etale Guest

I haven't seen CANNIBAL HOLCOAST, but I heard about the turtle scene. Lenzi did the same scene in CANNIBAL FEROX. Is this a regular thing in Italian cannibal films?

15. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

PAL? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

;)

Now that I got a player that does convert, this is so mine :)

16. chrishicks

anyone else get an email about these shipping out today?

17. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I just ordered it today! I also just put up my old DVD on Ebay to help pay for the cost of this one.

18. marcx

marcx New Member

I personally cannot enjoy this film due to the animal cruelty...

sorry but watching real animal deaths does not "entertain" me....

19. chrishicks

that's why I'll be using the FF button on the remote during those scenes.

20. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

I got mine, and the menus dont respond in any of my three players. Occasionally the image freezes for a few seconds in one of them too.

It's been a while since I last saw this, and maybe my tastes have changed, as it's boring me on end.