Cannibal Holocaust Opinions?

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by RyanPC, May 17, 2003.

1. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I just watched this movie (downloaded it from Kazaa). I didn't get to see it for a while because I uninstalled my regular Kazaa because of all the spyware and popups... it was seriously killing my computer! I had to get a Pop-Up Popper and everything because like every second an ad would pop up, usually from the same company. But anyway, I installed Kazaa Lite and by that time CH was finished downloading, so I could watch it. I was impressed... it is an amazing film. The photography is absolutely beautiful, and certainly ahead of it's time. I had been waiting a long time to see this and it sure was worth the wait! Now I have to have that Grindhouse DVD... if it ever comes out! :D I wouldn't mind owning that EC DVD, but what if I buy it and then Grindhouse suddenly decides to release their version? Then I'd be screwed. So I decided it's best to wait a while and see if Grindhouse wises up any. If not, then I'll just give in and buy the EC version.

Great movie!! :)

Any opinions?

2. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

well I would just go ahead and buy the EC version to be honest with you.

about the movie, i think its wonderful. great all around, but what stands out the most to me is the amazing score

3. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Yes, the score was excellent also... I would LOVE to have a soundtrack to this on CD! :)

4. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Haha, hey thats my line!

Acutally, I passed on picking this soundtrack up somewhat cheap awhile ago :cry:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2004
  5. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

They released a soundtrack to it? Was it on CD or vinyl?

6. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

I have it ... download it fron Napster some years ago. But you can get it on WinMx.

7. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I also watched this via download months ago, and cant decide if I enjoyed it or not. It felt like just a gore-fest exploitation flick, and at times it felt like it was trying too hard to get a rise out of the viewer. But it is definately one of the nastiest movies Ive seen, maybe that is where is succeeds? if that is even something to be proud about. In the end I think I didnt enjoy this movie more than I did enjoy it because it had no depth for me, the characters were evil ppl and I wanted them to die anyways so whats the big deal? I think the only thing I gained from this flick is that if I'm ever asked whats the sickest movie Ive ever seen I can say this...

anyways, some of the effects were really fantastic for a film of its age, I'm still baffled on how they pulled off that girl-impaled-on-stick effect. If anyone knows how it was done I'd like to know..

8. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Deodato mentioned somewhere (JUNGLE HOLOCAUST soundtrack maybe) that all he did was have her sit on a bicycle-seat type thing and have another stick put in her mouth and had them line up. One of the cooler things I've seen though (just look at my avatar).

I would say the film does have depth though, as opposed to many of the cannibal flicks from Italy. It's an indictment of the media and asks the question "who are the real cannibals?". I think it works on both that level and the visceral one you described.

9. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Definitely a brilliant film. It was extremely well shot and impressive with it's presentation.

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--It's an indictment of the media and asks the question "who are the real cannibals?". I think it works on both that level and the visceral one you described.--

I think this commonly expressed view was made up to justify this film. During its conception and making, it was simply a gorefest.

11. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I disagree, as I think they could have been much more explicit in the gore department. It's hardly the goriest film ever made (even at the time).

12. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

You should buy the EC version so that the Grindhouse one does come out for the rest of us.

13. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

14. dwatts

dwatts New Member

It's okay that we disagree. I honestly feel this film does not deserve much analysis time at all. To imagine that Deodato had anything other than making a shocking gore film, is stretching reality. The so called analysis of the "meaning" of this film is analysis applied after the event, and has more to say about the so called critics who would see "meaning" in a dog turd, than it does about the intention of the filmmaker himself.

Don't believe me? Well, I have the words of Deodato to back me up. You'll find the quotes in "Eaten Alive!" by Jay Slater (excellent book, by the way). In the section on CH Lloyd Kaufman says the following: "I once interviewed Deodato at his home in Italy, and asked him to comment on his views of the media (the entire interview can be found as a bonus feature on Troma's DVD release of Argento's Stendahl Syndrome, 1996). Deodato told me that if I planned on asking him stupid questions like that, he would stop the interview. He'd set out to make a movie about cannibals, and that's it."

I'll stick with the words of the man who made it. Plenty of others defend the film, and that's all well and good. However, imbuing it with some kind of intellectual merit - when in reality it's an exploitation flick like any other, just seems to me to be an excuse people use in order to enjoy watching this film, animal killings and all. I like plenty of the exploitation genre. However, I’m not going to pretend they are anything more than what they were intended to be – and that’s okay.

15. The Chaostar

Remember this. Even if indeed Deodato said that MOVIES DO NOT BELONG TO THEIR DIRECTORS ONCE THEY'RE OUT ON THE SCREEN. They belong to us. And we can make whatever we want from them.

16. The Chaostar

And CH it's an intelligent, thought provoking horror film. They don't make them anymore...

17. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Sure they do. Frailty is really good in this regard. I don't find CH intelligent at any level - EXCEPT - the Director set out to shock, and he DID succeed in that regard.

Of course, we all have views about what is good and what is not. I know there are several films that I really like, that others have no time for. When we talk about movies having an overall meaning, we can clearly say what it represents to ourselves. However, we should not suggest the Director himself had intentions when even he says he did not.

Just to make it clear - if it means a lot to the individual - way to go!

18. Latency

Latency Guest

I am with Dwatts on this one (ins ome ways). It's a cannibal movie plain and simple. Maybe it was well shot and what not but it's still a cannibal movie and that's all it will ever be. People some times look too deep into a movies elements or "hidden meanings" instead of watching it for the reason it was made. I am not attacking anyone here on this board so don't reply in hate and anger :) Everyone watches movies in different ways. Some people watch for artistic reasons, some just watch for plain dumb fun. Most movies are actually meant to be watched in certain ways, but clearly CH was not. This is just an observation I have seen over the years all over the place.

Nice example with the "turd" Dwatts :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2003
  19. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I actually mentioned in a thread a while ago how funny it is when people read too much into things that weren't really there. I think some EVIL DEAD reviews noted some "obvious influences", but it turned out Raimi hadn't even seen those films. It's possible it's BS, but I see more than a gore movie. But we can agree to disagree :).

20. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

hmm, so the EC version is the best available at the moment? thats the italian R2 release yea? or is the italian R2 release still a coming soon? i lose track of these things..

is JUNGLE HOLOCAUST any good? i was thinking of picking that up to but its a bit pricey so i wanted to make sure it was good before forking over my dosh for it