Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Same :lol: I honestly have no idea what Things big problem was with the action. Seemed like it was shot pretty standard to me.

2. thing

thing Well-Known Member

You must be, I know shandy cam has turned up as a negative in even don't of the most positive reviews I've read or viewed. But it is really a combo if shaker can and overly frenetic editing during the hand to Gand convey scenes that made them do ineffective. This is the first Marvel film to go the early Nolan approach to shooting close combat.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  3. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Loved this film! My favourite Marvel film and one of my favourite comic book films, behind possibly only Nolan's Batman flicks. I didn't have much interest in this, although I planned on seeing it because I'm a comic book fan, and man, did this blow me away! After the terrible Iron Man 3, and the mediocre Thor: The Dark World, I'm glad to see Marvel back in the game! For those on the fence because the trailer's didn't blow you away and are waiting for it to hit Netflix or whatever, you will be filled with regret after you watch this and realized you should have seen it on the big screen.

I'm not going to say it's a perfect film, but I don't have any complaints with it either, which is very rare for me.

Not sure what thing is talking about, as the action scenes were amazing, some of the best I've seen actually! I couldn't believe I was seeing Cap kick this much ass! Lots of great action moves, and surprisingly quite brutal. Cap doesn't hold back here.

This film is less a comic book film, and more of an action spy thriller. The story is interesting with a constant threat throughout and a mystery that keeps you guessing. Winter Solider finally gives Marvel a villain that can equal Bane and the Joker. Did anyone notice the similar Joker score every time he was on screen? He has a great look and was very menacing, making his time on screen always exciting. Everyone else was great as well, especially Robert Redford. SHIELD has more of a presence and importance this time around, so Black Widow and Nick Fury have more to do, with Black Widow adding some emotional weight to the film. Falcon was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed their brotherly banter. Not to mention all the great comic book cameos and ester eggs throughout.

After the last two Marvel films that felt like family comedies, Marvel has gotten the tone right, delivering a film for someone my age, but also not too graphic for kids. I loved this and is so far it is my favourite film of the year. I am pumped for Godzilla and X-Men, but the standard has now been set. If they can top this, then this could end up being a really great year for genre flicks! I know it's still early, but this will easily make my Top 10 of the year!

8.5/10

4. TONY

TONY Banned mofo

5. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

One of the best CBMs ever, it was definitely the best Marvel Studios film

6. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

After 5 minutes of Armageddon (not the first 5 minutes, mind you), I'll never watch anything that guy's ever been involved with.

EVER!

Including Meat Loaf's music videos.

7. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I really liked this one. And, it is also probably my favorite of the stand-alone Avengers movies. Prior to this I would have said that my favorites were the original Thor and Captain America, just to give you an idea of how I rank them so far.

Things I liked:

The story was quite solid and had a decent amount of weight, scale, and escalation, which has been my biggest complaint about all the other stand-alones. I really like the way they've been handling the Capt. America character and I am very thankful that they haven't tried to make him dark and broody.

I actually really liked the action sequences. I thought they did a decent job of mixing up the hand-held work with some really good establishing shots so that you never lost the sense of the geography and athletic prowess of the fighters. The first fight with the Winter Soldier was really well done in particular.

Things I didn't like:

Really my only complaint was the reliance on secondary characters to carry the action and story. By themselves, the sequences with Fury, Black Widow, and Falcon were good, but I wish the filmmakers had just let Capt. Am. carry the story. I get the feeling that they are still a bit nervous that audiences won't be interested in a character who is just a nice guy trying to do the right thing. But, that's what I think is my main draw to the character. Maybe it's just reactionary, but right now, I really like seeing a main character in an action film is actual well adjusted.

I do wish the Winter Soldier had figured a bit more heavily into the story. I feel like there could have been a bit more thematic weight to the character that could have presented him as the
    Hydra
    version of Capt. America. It would have given the conflict between them a bit more ideological weight. And maybe because of the hair, I kept expecting it to be Robert Carlyle for some reason.

Other Note:

I read a lot of reviews that commented that this film was more akin to the political thrillers of the 70's, in particular "3 Days of the Condor", "All the President's Men" and "Parallax View" While I could agree that there were similarities in the basic story, the film itself was still an action film first and foremost. And probably secondmost and thirdmost, if those are things. But, because of those reviews, I did go in with some preconceived notions and did end up feeling a bit let down on that aspect. I will say that's my own fault, not the film's fault though.

Final Comment: I've been watching Agents of SHIELD along with all of this. And while the show has really been a letdown, I have still been interested in how this whole experiment of inter-connectivity will play out. And this film more than any of the others has done a really good job of re-invigorating my interest in AoS. It seems that most of the TV show was about setting up this plot-line though that really wasn't that apparent until the last few episodes. But, now that I've seen the film and am up-to-date on the show I have to say that the whole thing was pretty well-played.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I thought that it was a very strong film, although probably a tad bit talky for children and for that reason I'm a bit up in the air whether or not I'm going to show it to my kids (who liked Guardians of the Galaxy). I knew that the story was going to obviously be an adaptation of the Winter Soldier plot line (which I've never read) and inspired by conspiracy films from the 1970s, but what I didn't know that took me by pleasant surprise is that the largest bulk of the plotline was directly swiped from one of my favorite limited series of the 1980s, Nick Fury Vs. SHIELD. Very cool, and I loved the way they handled Arnim Zola (in the books he looked a tad silly). I loved the WWII aspect of the first film and was concerned that this wasn't going to interest me as much. Glad to see that I was wrong. I'm not sure where I'd place it in best to worst of the Marvel Universe movies, but I definitely like it more than The Avengers.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014