Captive Wild Woman

Discussion in 'Classic' started by dwatts, Mar 18, 2008.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

And so I'll end my own little triple bill with rounding off the "Universal Horror Classic Movie Archive". The final entry - Captive Wild Woman!

At little over an hour, this one is a bit of a filler. In fact, if you cut out all the animal training footage you'd probably be left with little more than 40 minutes or so of mad doctor action. And even that's a little half-hearted with a rake-thin David Carridine doing as little as possible to earn a pay check.

As in Night Monster there's lots of talk about "glands" in this one. Never midn though, because the bottom line is we end up with a gorilla/woman hybrid - including a Wolf Man style transformation scene where a woman in the "I'd do her" catagory turns, almost in an instant, into a "Ahhhhhhh!"

Sadly we don't get much of that, and it's all very confusing when we're supposed to sympathize with the gorilla, the girl, and of course - the gorilla/girl - all while a murder takes place. Oh well, you can't have it all.

Some big top action then, lots of lions, tigers, and even a Zebra giving another Zebra a good kick. Whips, guns, and a chair as a defense, our intrepid explorer doesn't do much other than act toward a back projected screen - but as such things go, this isn't bad.

A bit of a sleeper then, but if you fast-forward through the animal training sequences you won't spend too long on it. Worth it, but not stellar.

2. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I saw this one as a kid,though it hasn't really stuck with me.There were sequels,JUNGLE WOMAN and THE JUNGLE CAPTIVE as I recall,but CAPTIVE didn't feature the same actress,Acquanetta,as the ape girl.She did go on to appear in a handful of low budget films,however,and only passed away in 2004.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Seeing this as a kid is probably the best time. As an adult it's a bit slow, and the constant "animal training" material wears a tad thin. I read last night that he lion/tiger fight was actually real and unedited, which is pretty amazing. How did this ever pass the censors?

I don't have the sequels. And while - of course - I'd watch them if I could, I don't think I'm in any hurry. Nice to way to end the box set though, light and sort of throwaway.

4. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

It seems like almost every horror film set at a circus has managed to overpad the picture with too much actual circus material.Creating atmosphere is fine but if I wanted to watch an hours worth of fancy ponies and mischievous chimps I'd go to a REAL circus.
    They were really lax about showing animal on animal violence in some of these older films,nowadays animal rights groups like PETA would be all over the producers,accident or not.