Carnival of Souls - Criterion Blu-Ray 07/12/16

Discussion in 'Classic' started by X-human, Apr 19, 2016.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]
    12 Jul 2016
    https://www.criterion.com/films/607-carnival-of-souls

It would appear only the theatrical cut is being included. The 83 minute "Director's Cut" is not listed at all.

Hatchetwarrior, Angelman and zbinks like this.
  2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Is the director's cut available elsewhere on blu-ray?

3. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

4. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Emailed Criterion earlier about the director's cut and they said that the extended footage would be available only as an extra since the footage only exists on 1 inch video tape. Kind of disappointing since the last release had both versions, they should have (here I go again like a broken record...) included a way to branch the footage in despite the quality difference or just included the whole director's cut in SD. Maybe I'll pick it up anyway but this seems less definitive than the previous release.

5. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Totally get your point of view, but I am pretty happy to have the original cut on blu ray. As far as the directors cut? I probably WON'T keep my DVD version since I never revisit that version anyway.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

^ Yep, there's a full text floating around someone received:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/com...arnival-of-souls-blu-ray.347226/#post-4370236

It's interesting that they said Harvey edited the material back in in 1989. From my understanding there was a TV print, probably 16mm, that was circulating before then and is probably the origination on the materials. Don't know if it the film survived longer than its master broadcast tapes. I wonder, if film elements do exist exist, if whoever owns those film elements may have been reluctant to offer them up again, perhaps at a fair price, and that's halted production up to now. Or just plain looking for any such elements. And Criterion finally decided to go ahead without. I did wonder why Criterion held off so long on a public domain film they could revisit at nearly anytime.

Katatonia likes this.
  7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I think today I would argue that most of the Director's Cut scenes aren't necessary to see reintegrated into the movie... But, without question, the extended version of Mary's therapy session (I think it's the 2nd one, the one at the end) is vital to have in its extended form. It's a huge shame that that won't be available to watch in the feature film.