Carrie (1976) 10/07

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Dust Bunny, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Yeah I always take their reviews with a grain of salt. I'm still going to wait for an Amazon sale or deal, though, as paying nearly $30 for a barebones disc of a film that is over 30 years old is just kinda absurd. Unless it's RoboCop. I had to have RoboCop.

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah I can understand that. And LOL, I'm the way with Carrie the way you are with RoboCop. :D I just had to have it.

~Matt

3. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I think Carrie is a mighty fine piece of film but there is no way I'm paying the current price for something so bare bones. I'll wait for a price drop or until a proper release. I care most about the transfer quality but not at an msrp of $39.99!

4. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Wait a little while and I bet youll be able to find it new somewhere for probably around 15.00-17.00 and used for somewhere around 10.00-14.00 - i always watch for sales and coupon codes and stuff and usually get great deals on blu ray movies

5. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

It's kinda hard to take Peter Bracke's reviews too seriously. He pitched a fit over the Halloween Blu-Ray. Gave it a 1.5 for video, which is probably the worst video rating I've seen in all the High-Def Digest reviews. That's the worst Blu-Ray transfer? Whatever.

6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

He was probably pissed about the "tweaked" transfer. When you think of it, it was "tweaked" to look so blue/orange, so Anchor Bay restored the movie to what it originally looked like. Obviously a different print was used on the 2007 BD and the 1999 DVD. (Although that still doesn't warrant a 1.5). I dunno, I didn't really like the bluish/orangey look the movie had. The blu-ray is kindof a cross between the blue/orangey transfer and the 25th Anniversary release. I think it's perfectly fitting. It looks a lot more natural. The blueness always looked a bit too fake and unrealistic. Moonlight isn't THAT blue. The BD of Halloween is fucking beautiful. The best the movie's ever looked in terms of sharpness, clarity AND color.

~Matt

7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

And I've been going over some of Bracke's reviews. He always seems to rate film grain as a negative aspect of a transfer. (Which it isn't!) He seems very pro-DNR. Meh, I'm not gonna take his reviews so seriously. Seems that him and I have quite different viewpoints on what does and doesn't make a good transfer.

~Matt

8. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I agree. I saw a copy at my local store for that exact price. Will wait for a sale eventually. Might do the same with Poltergeist, but I don't think it will be as high.

9. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

The Carrie blu-ray is down to $15.99 on Amazon. Almost at a price that I'd buy it at. I knew it would come down eventually.

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

LOL I shouldn't have caved and bought this. I paid like $27.99 for it when it first came out. But nice to see blu-ray prices dropping, though. MGM dropped the price on The Silence of the Lambs to $15.99 as well.

~Matt

11. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I finally found Carrie on blu-ray for a price I thought was acceptable. $1.99.

Allow me to explain. I went to Best Buy today with $15 in rewardzone certificates with the intention of buying The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly on blu-ray, which was released today. Should've known, though, that the asshats weren't getting any in, but they had a crap ton of other catalog titles on sale for $16.99, so I decided to get Carrie. Almost bought Lethal Weapon as well, but seeing as that disc is always cheap, and it's not the director's cut, I decided to wait.

Can't wait to pop her in tonight see if I got my $1.99's worth. :lol:

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

At first glance the movie doesn't look very good. But seriously, compare it with the Special Edition...there's a HUGE difference. It's properly framed, colors are better, the image is smoother, print damage is gone. Shit, Carrie looks fantastic on blu.

I mean it'll always look rather soft. Carrie was one of those '70s movies shot with a diffusion lens, so you get these blown-out whites and faded colors. (But you probably already know this ;))

I paid like $34.99 for it on the day of release, and hell I think it's worth it. LOL mainly because Carrie's my favorite horror film (and definitely one of my fav movies of all-time - it's a masterpiece) but $1.99? Haha you DEFINITELY got your money's worth with this one.

~Matt