carrie remake

Discussion in 'General' started by Gnaghi, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Gnaghi

Gnaghi Guest

so whats up with this thing... a tv movie remake of something that didn't need to be remade... and shot on digital video. blah. why not adapt another king novel instead. i swear hollywood needs to go back to film school or something.

ok so it makes sense now

NBC has announced a remake of "Carrie" that will also serve as a backdoor pilot for potential new weekly series or franchises. While NBC has so far ordered only scripts on the Carrie project, both projects are likely to end up on the air. Scribe Bryan Fuller is attached to write the new "Carrie," which will follow closely the plot of the original 1976 feature about a teenage girl with special powers. The new picture, supervised by MGM TV topper Hank Cohen, will be set in the present and feature greatly enhanced special effects(so enhance the effects and degrade the quality). The story will also be tweaked to allow for either a weekly series or movie franchise.

they want to make a carrie series or a franchise.. hmm guess carrie and carrie 2 didn't really mean anything.

maybe they can turn it into something like you cant do that on television with blood instead of slime. that i would watch.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2002
  2. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I dont see why they cant just make a good flick like Carrie and be satisifed with maiing just that...... a great film. Why does Hollywood insist on beating a dead horse?

3. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I have an idea for Hollywood: a remake of <B>Ocean's Eleven</B>. The last one came out two years ago so it's overdue to be remade. Who knows, maybe they can even make it worse than the last one... now that would be challenging!

4. rhett

rhett Administrator

First CARRIE the broadway musical, and now this? CARRIE certainly has lived an interesting life (especially for
    dying in the original
    ).

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Haha....yeah, I thought about the musical too when I heard about this.

To me, this is as dumb as remaking The Shawshank Redemption. DePalma's Carrie kept all the feel of the book, and even improved upon some parts (King freely admits this too).

I know some people will go on an on about "well, in the book Carrie does a lot more damage to the whole town", but I NEVER liked that in the book. The movie just focuses on Carrie and her mom, and that's Carrie's REAL issue. I said it in my review, I think she could put up with her classmates' abuse, it was the fact that her mom was her worst abuser that f'd her up so much. The book obscures this point, the (DePalma) movie centralizes it.

Geez...what's next? Remakes of Dawn of the Dead or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre??

uh oh.....

6. Gnaghi

Gnaghi Guest

anybody watching it... i can't bare to watch it... everytime i turn it on it makes me sick.

7. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Not even gonna try to look at it. I've had enough of all the fuckin remakes. Movies, music etc. :fuck:

8. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I watched it. There were some surprises. I didn't know about the "series" concept. Ridiculous, but makes sense now. You don't even want to know...:confused:

9. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

A series> :lol:

So like Buffy where she goes back to high school after blowing the first one up and killing a bunch of people?

10. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I just finished watching it, and had mixed feelings throughout. Halfway through I was thinking I liked it better than the original, it was more true to the story, scenes were handled more effectively, and Carries rampage was much more intense and carried out trhough the city like in the book, even the final scene between Carrie and her mother was closer to the book than the original movie.

But like Indie mentioned, the ending/cliffhanger leading into a series is just totally rediculous and laughable. It pretty much ruined the entire thing. If the movie just ended with
    Carrie dead in the tub after stopping her mothers heart
    it would have been much better and pretty enjoyable, but the ending is just a joke.
    Carrie as a runaway fugitive, puh-lease.

11. Gnaghi

Gnaghi Guest

one question.. why was she upset when they put all those tampons in her locker if she didnt even know what a period was.

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

You know what sucks? Now, when people ask my what my favorite horror movie of all time is, I have to say "Carrie, the original, not the stupid remake"

OK, I did not watch this all the way through, but what I saw was not good. Super-cheezy CGI of the destruction of the town?? And can anyone say that Carrie stopping her mom's heart is anywhere near as good as the movie version? You know, the book is not always better than the movie.

Brian DePalma filmed the definitive version of Kiog's story, it never needed this...

13. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I might have to watch it by myself to judge. However, De Palma's Carrie was just fine as it is.
    They should stop fucking with the classics.

14. cjg

cjg Active Member

I didnt think the girl who played Carrie was to bad and some of her female schoolmates werent to bad either but whats with those high school guys most of them looked like they were in their late 20s or early 30s

15. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I wasn't totally disappointed with it, until that ending... :lol:

16. MISFITZ

MISFITZ Guest

LMFAO!!!!

I saw they were doing the remake when i got my TV GUIDE in my Sunday newspaper. I just rolled my eyes and found the SPORTs section.

I agree about the first Carrie. I think brian De Palma's film IS VERY intense and has some of horror's most memorable images. If you had to picture images from horror in the GREAT 70's decade, visions of the EXORCIST, JAWS, THE SHINING would be no brainers. But you would HAFTA include the image and the way it was shot of Sissy Spacek with BLOOD dripping on her in her dress. That is something that is left to the viewer to think about in the book. Brian DePalma took his vision and showed the world his interpretation and to this day, it still holds up. Major credit for De Palma and Spacek, who i thought was a PERFECT Carrie.

I just do not see how it could improve. If anything, i see them choosing this title to 'remake' because De Palma's version was sooo good. Had De Palma NOT did the film he did, i question how this film's popularity would play.

Needless to say, you won't see me watching this series.

17. Luna

Luna Guest

Did anyone else spot Katharine Isabelle (Ginger, from "Ginger Snaps") as Tina? She was really amusing, heh.

I must say I really hated that ending. It'll lead to a shitty series, no doubt. *sigh*

:fuck:

18. It was pointless... Being new, more faithful, and slapping a bunch of (bad) CGI doesn’t make something better. They couldn’t even make an original adaptation without ripping off shots and referencing the DePalma film. It was soulless. DePalma captured all of the angst so well... this one just didnt have any insight, just wanted to be a stupid, unneeded tv series I guess... actually cared less about the symbolism and emotion and just wanted to show new fx and a bunch of bland Dawsons Creek reject actors.

I thought the idea of Carrie as more seemingly mentally fragile, almost like a catatonic, was neat, but the director/writers didn’t flesh it out, didn’t get inside her head. The actress who played her is supposed to be in a great offbeat horror film called May about an introverted freak girl who builds her own boyfriend from body parts or something like that. She was capable enough in Carrie to make me want to see May even more. Other than that it was a waste.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2002
  19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

The remake that the original poster was talking about wasn't the current one coming out. But I figure why start another thread.

This one stars Chloe Moretz & Julianne Moore. Here are the first photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

man, Hollywood can go knock itself out. i just don't give a shit anymore.