carrie remake

Discussion in 'General' started by Gnaghi, Oct 31, 2002.

1. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

Screen Gems is co-producing the remake with MGM, so there is some reason to be concerned -- especially since they made the horrific Prom Night, When a Stranger Calls and Stepfather remakes.

However, I don't think it'll be terrible like those. You have a terrific director and two amazing actresses (then again the original had that too), and so that works in the remake's favor. Moretz said Pierce is aiming for a Black Swan feel, so that alone will set it off from Brian de Palma's adaptation.

2. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

So, are we to be left wondering whether Margaret White is real or a figment of Carrie's imagination?

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I can tell you all how it ends and save you $10.

4. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

that's probably up to one's own opinion.
    I personally think the first half the movie is great, it explores the characters well and has a good build up to the last half.

Concerning the remake, if they're going for a Black Swan feel, I'm all for it, I absolutely love Black Swan. It's one of my favorite movies.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, yeah, both King and DePalma (or technically Cohen, since he wrote the script) give rise to Carrie's power upon her first period, obviously a metaphor for the power a woman has over a man upon reaching puberty. But I do think there were more mentions of childhood incidents in the original novel. Wasn't there a rain of stones over the Whites' house at some point, or am I thinking of the wisely deleted scene from the movie?

Either way, I think focusing on Carrie and her ability only from the shower incident keeps the focus where it should be. Flashback scenes only muddy the message (become a woman = power), especially when you have such a short time to tell a story. I think if you include these flashback scenes, the viewer might be inclined to think "why wasn't she doing this before, if she always had the ability?" In a book, you can have an internal narrative of Carrie's thoughts of her discovery of the power, it's a lot harder to convey that on screen.

Yes, I do find the first half inconsistent, and that's why I love the movie so much. Although I'm not sure if you're referring to the general tone of the story, or the visual/music style. Admittedly, some scenes (the girls doing calisthenics) seem like they come from a made-for-TV 70s movie, but I've always liked that style so it doesn't bother me.

If you're referring to the general tone of things (there's not a lot of horror, or even potential horror from the time when Carrie gets locked into the closet up until Chris and Billy killing the pig), no, I think that's perfect even if it is inconsistent. Because it allows us to develop feelings for all the characters, and puts horror on the back burner. Much the way it is in real life. C'mon, how many times does a character come on screen in a horror film and you know, I mean, KNOW they're just there to eventually be slaughtered? Sort of like the red-shirted ensigns in Star Trek, but I digress. Carrie would be a great movie even if the prom went well for Tommy and Carrie, and that's the brilliance of it. Instead of taking place in a universe where we know bad things are going to happen, it's like we're watching a normal movie that suddenly becomes a horror movie at the end.

For a bizarre comparison (and this is off the top of my head), imagine if at the end of American Pie, at the party at Stifler's house, suddenly a hooded maniac starts taking out the kids one by one. Most horror movies don't do that. If that were the plot of American Pie, the movie would almost start out at the party and spend most of the time on killing and stalking. That's fine, I like those kinds of movies. But if you take a seemingly normal movie and throw in a horror element late, it really makes those horror scenes that much more striking and heartbreaking. It's a change of pace from the typical horror movie, and it's why I consider it to be the best one ever made. It's DIFFERENT than almost any other movie out there, and all the elements work together. And it only improves on repeated viewings, as you know the tragic end to the story and you're powerless to stop it.

I'm pretty thick-skinned in this genre, but Carrie still generates a little white knuckle effect when most horror movies rarely raise my pulse even a little bit. I can't for the life of me see why any person who knows anything about film would want to remake it. If you're reading this, Kimberly Peirce, I'm talking to you.

6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

When i say inconstant I guess I mean a few things. One the music choices, as you mentioned the detention music . I find it almost distracting compared to the amazing score that the rest of the film posses, same goes for the tuxedo scene. Other then that I don't really care for how he handled the fast forward tuxedo scene, the Principle scene, The Crazy Carrie scene and the death of Billy and Chris. Maybe It's because I have watched the film so many times as I'm nitpicking. Saying that every time I watch the film the second half just blows me away.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

ok, ok. Yeah, I dislike the sped-up tuxedo scene. It would have worked like that had they sped up more of the conversation, instead of just a line or two. What did he save, 3-4 seconds? Had there been more pointless drivel about tuxedos and ruffles, and compress a half a minute's worth of non-relevant conversation into a few seconds, it would have been a much more interesting effect.

8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I liked all of that stuff, it made Carrie not seem like a horror movie for most of the time.I really love that about it. There are these little spurts of horror that become more and more and more frequent until everything just explodes. They're just ordinary kids in an ordinary school about to become witness/victim to something EXTRAordinary.

~Matt

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

You said pretty much the same thing I said, just with a lot fewer words. I need to work on that.

I might have to listen to the audio commentary track. Haven't listened to it in a while. What, you say? There's no audio commentary on any of the DVDs or Blu-Ray? Well, you're right. But I have two words for you: Criterion Laserdisc

10. Number Six

Number Six I am not a number...

Oh man! If American Pie ended with a brutal killing spree at Stifler's party, that there would be the best thing ever!!!

11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

im at work, so i wasn't able to hear any of the audio, but i knew immediately what i was looking at, and it worked well for me. i'm by no means excited, but i'd say the fact that the trailer didn't immediately turn me off is a point in it's favour.

13. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

14. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

This teaser is pretty effective. Could definitely be an interesting spin on the events factoring the modern day setting.

15. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

This might be an interesting thing to watch if you stumble across it on late-night cable, but why in the world would anyone want to pay $10 to see it in a theater? I don't understand. Is it just to see different actors in the same role, or what?

16. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Looks like it will be a closer adaptation to the book, at least the ending.

17. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Ominous and compelling trailer, I would consider seeing this.

18. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

19. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

Yep. I don't think it's anything to worry about (i.e. reshoots), it's just Paranormal Activity isn't that Halloween juggernaut anymore. And so they want more time in post-production and get the marketing righting. Not to mention Screen Gems and MGM want some of that October 'scary movie' coin.

And weirdly enough, it's opening against another movie with Julianne Moore as the villain -- The Seventh Son.

20. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

So they just released the official trailer for the remake (Click here) and WOW..... I really don't want to see this anymore. The teaser gave me a lot of hope but it's clear they are just making the same exact movie. And another thing, I understand they are trying to appeal to a younger audience who may have never seen or heard of the original but Jesus Christ, did they have to give away the entire plot of the movie! I mean I have seen the original countless times but still, this trailer is far from subtle.