carrie remake

Discussion in 'General' started by Gnaghi, Oct 31, 2002.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

To be fair, there is nothing given away in this trailer that wasn't given away in the trailer for the original 1976 film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJe0iVo8y3A

But otherwise, yeah, I agree with you. The talent involved makes it worth checking out at some point for me, but I'm definitely not going to shell out 9 bucks to see it at the theater.

2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

not that impressed, I really like chloe mortez, but I think she is wrong for this part, she looks like one of the cool kids to me and does not have that vulnerable look/feel I think is essential for the part, also as expected to much CGI.

3. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

No dirty pillows no sale.

4. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

Alright, as much as I hate to admit it, that trailer looks like this is going to be fun. There, I said it. I love Carrie. I love De Palma. But I really think Julianne Moore and Chloe Moretz could make this worth seeing. Of course, Julianne Moore was in the Psycho remake too, but no matter how awful a movie she's in she always gives a great performance.

5. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

That is true. She made the movie 6 Souls great and worth watching because her presence alone.

6. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

In running for post of the year imo.

7. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Ha. I just realized in the trailer, it says "introducing John Travolta in his first motion picture role" as his car flips a couple of times. Different "roll" I know, but funny all the same to me.

8. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Agreed. The teaser gave me a little hope but this new trailer just makes it look so generic and stale. Hollywood needs to start casting plain looking actor and actresses again and making some of these parts more believable. I too like Chloe but she is just wrong for this part.

9. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling this film is going to be awful definitely wasn't impressed I think the awful texas chainsaw 3D trailer was better

10. deepred

deepred Member

Agreed. Chloe looks really pretty in this movie which makes it hard to buy that she's the unpopular Carrie.

11. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I saw the trailer last night in front of Evil Dead and thought it went on for far too long, even if it does look solid. It's a truncated version of the entire movie, played chronologically (minus the very ending). If the original trailer did the same thing, so be it, but since that film is so well-known, I'd prefer it if they kept some of the magic under wraps. I'll give it a rental, since I saw there's wasn't much by way of surprises in the way it plays out.

12. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

As several others have said - totally agree - her character is the movie and to miscast this badly is inexcusable

13. Copyboy

I'm not giving up on Chloe yet. Sissy Spacek was also too attractive for the part but she made it work. If I remember correctly, King's Carrie had acne, was overweight and called a big, dumb pudding by her classmates.

14. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

That would be Rebel Wilson:

[​IMG]

15. Copyboy

Oh my GOD! Who IS that? I think I work with her!

16. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

It's such a pity that what is good for the eye and good for the touch are so different.

17. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Just saw a commercial and it said the remake is rated R. That's a surprise. I was sure they were gonna aim for a PG-13 rating.

18. deepred

deepred Member

Anyone going to see this? I was going to skip it but my brother wanted to go so I am going go with him tonight to check it out.

A heads up if anyone is thinking of going and has a best buy nearby - best buy is selling a bunch of MGM blu-rays (Carrie, Child's Play, Return of the Living Dead, Jeepers Creepers, Amityville Horror, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, etc) for $7.99 that include a $7.50 movie money coupon off of the Carrie remake which makes the blu-ray about 50 cents if you are already planning on seeing the remake! ;)

19. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I can't justify paying ticket prices when I already know everything that is going to happen in the movie. I'll wait for cable.

It just sucks that this is the only horror movie being released in theaters this October. I love going to see a new horror movie in October, but this year... nothing. At least there are a few cult movie screenings to catch.

20. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

AV Club gave it a C-

Spoiler-tagging because the review discusses the ending:
    "Depressing as it is to see a classic cannibalized, Carrie actually fares even worse when it deviates. As the heroine’s mother, a role previously and masterly occupied by Piper Laurie, Julianne Moore cranks the crazy to 11. Her Mrs. White is truly loony tunes, banging her head against the wall, cutting herself under her dress, and—in a needless prologue—stopping just short of gouging out her newborn baby’s eyes with a pair of rusty scissors. (Moore doesn’t so much chew the scenery as bleed all over it.) Where the movie really errs, though, is in the fateful finale—and not just because Peirce stages it without a fraction of the verve De Palma brought to his split-screen climax. Perhaps it’s impossible, in a post-Columbine world, to fully groove on the apocalyptic retaliation of a class misfit. But by making Carrie’s rampage subjective, with her wrath reserved almost exclusively for those who “deserve” it, Peirce dilutes the ghastly power—the full, insane horror—of her big setpiece. It’s a strange thing to say about a movie so obsessed with the red stuff, but this Carrie is bloodless."