Cat in the brain region 1 grindhouse dvd coming in 2009

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by fceurich39, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Mr. Eddy

Mr. Eddy Member

It's got some great gore, but they might be the shittiest fuckin' gore effects ever! I mean even for Fulci they're pretty cheap and not realistic at all.

2. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

I just picked this up at Best Buy last night. No lenticular cover. Haven't watched it yet. BB actually pleasantly surprised me...they had at least two (!) Euro titles in stock: this and Four Flies on Gray Velvet! I was like "someone pinch me! It's almost a mini flashback to the glory days of 2000-2003, when BB had GOOD DVDs!" ;)

3. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I was in Best Buy last night as well and their horror section has gotten a lot smaller. A little depressing!!

4. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

The horror section at the BB in FireWheel Texas is pretty good.

5. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

I miss BB's $5.99 section myself. I found so many cool Madacy/Diamond/Platinum DVDs there. Maybe the "law" came in and they had to shut that section down!

6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Wanna sell it? I'm looking for the LE cover, only standards in my area.

Can you pick me one up if they have them? If you're broke I could paypal you ahead if you can hide one in the store somewhere.

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I miss it too, it gave me reason to go in the store every week and browse. Now, unless I have to go there...every 2-3 weeks. They gave me some lameass answer as to why they discontinued that rack a few years ago.

I finally saw a couple of Cat in the Brain DVD's at the local store the other week, and both were the standard editions without the Lenticular cover.

8. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Still looking for a lenticular cover edition myself. I see em online but I really don't want to pay more than $25 for a copy.

9. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

I watched most of this last night. The film started out OK but got strangely boring. I couldn't believe how poor the effects were. Fulci's late 70s/early 80s "Golden era" had much better effects.

Is anything on Disc 2 worth watching?

10. I grabbed this and Pieces on the same day from a local retailer, one of the only ones I bother to adventure to anymore. As for the effects comment, I think Fulci wanted to showcase that true fans of Fulci (and horror in general) love the hammy, gnarly, over the top, gore drentched effects he used on occasion. I think he liked even the worst and cheesiest of effects as long as they were flowing with Crimson.

Take for example the first murder in this film... when the killer finally goes on an outing and murders the prostitute, these effects are BAD... but their gory and they still worked in the context of the film. Its like Fulci wanted to take his turn at the b-movie cannon throwing homage to the little known directors who's work he probably enjoyed watching, and at the same time trying to create his own super gory ham-fest. Am i right? I have no idea, but thats the general impression I got from the film.

Only Fulci could re-invent Fulci, and he seems to have done that with this film as well as Touch of Death. Both are enjoyable to most horror fans (Fulci fan or not), I won't say its the most genius film ever created but what I will say is it definately has an extremely b-movie aura around it of Cheesey Gore Set-ups, bad acting and Ham-to-the-bone. Recommended to Fans of Fulci and b-movies.

11. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Excellent remark.

12. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Dood, finally watched this. Tons of over the top Fulci gore - loved it!

The chick that cannot stop singing and just gets slapped around :lol:

13. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Pretty awesome, ain't it?

14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

While that was pretty funny the film was dreadfully bad. I finally got around to watching it a month back. Due to it being a whole lot of random shit that got cut together I found myself bored.
    I wanted to check this out for the gore but found it had less of an impact as I thought it would seeing as I had no real idea of what was going on. The idea behind the story was good but there was not story to accompany that idea.

15. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

F yeah. This is one of the reasons why I love Fulci flicks. This one wasn't scary really at all, but more goofy. But the gore was in bucketloads and fun. Some yes was somewhat fake looking, while others were really nicely done. I would much rather see gore done like this than CGI though.

It's funny how some folks either seem to love it, or was just plain bored reading through this thread.