Cat People (1982)

Discussion in 'General' started by othervoice1, Dec 20, 2007.

1. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I see this is getting released on HD-DVD this week - I actually have never seen this- can any of you give me an idea if this is a film worth buying or just renting? Also any thoughts any of you have on this movie.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  2. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I would say rent it.

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

It's good. Not great. If you're a Malcolm McDowell fan, then I'd say buy it. If you're not a McDowell fan, rent it.

4. Lucio Romero

Lucio Romero Member

I would say just get the normal special edition which retails for around $10 at most online stores, no need to spend an extra $10 for the HD release. It's an OK movie but the extras make it worth buying, they're pretty interesting. Also Nastassja Kinski makes it worth buying as well;)

LUCIO!!!!

5. Noto

Noto Guest

Personally, I think Cat People is a must own. Both versions (30s & 80s).

6. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I love this movie. Kinski naked in hd is a plus as well. Go for it!

7. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

One of my all time favorites. Personally I think this is one of the best remakes ever. The movie is just gorgeous to look at, plus it has some really well done effects sequences, an outstanding score, and really solid performances. The standard DVD has way more special features than the packaging leads you to believe. If I had an HD player, this release would probably be one of my first purchases.

8. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

One of the few remakes that I think stands on it's own as a solid movie.Great soundtrack,too.I think the standard discs sound mix is WAY too low,though.

9. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it better. I also think it's one of the most erotic movies ever made. The movie exudes sex even when there's no on-screen display of nudity or sexuality.

10. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

If you're a fan of early 80s horror (American Werewolf, Howling, The Thing, etc.) then you'll probably enjoy it.

And, yeah, Nastassja Kinski going all-out naked in HD definitely makes it a must-buy in my work.

11. Pretty good, but I would go with the cheaper SD version.

12. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

True story: First time in my life I jerked off it was with Nastassia Kinski in that film. I have fond memories. Will purchase.

13. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I completely agree with both.

But it's not really a scary movie. Be prepared for that. It's very much like The Hunger and Argento's Jenifer.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  14. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Best post EVAR.

15. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

As a big fan of Tourneur's 1942 classic, I've always wondered about Paul Schrader's remake. Tonight, I decided to pull the trigger and wish I hadn't. This fell flat for me.

Yes, Kinski is a talented and alluring actor, and the story was fleshed out, so to speak, but more amounted to less here. And while I appreciated Shrader's nods to the original (the prostitute's high-heeled, late-night walk; the bus jump-scare, among others), this just went on and on. Plus, the bus bit fell very flat--the "hiss" or the scare happened long after the visual, which was relatively representative of the film as a whole. The parts were there, but they never seemed to be in sync.

Great transformation effects, however, and I was a little surprised they got away with some of the leopard scenes, especially in the first hotel. And good God, Malcolm McDowell
    eating a strip of his own viscera?
    Wow.

16. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Just re-visited this again after having not seen it for about 10 years or so. Having attended film school for 2 years (and having 10 straight years of film viewing under my belt), this one just didn't have the kick for me that it once did. Which is sad, because it has a lot going for it: An incredible Giorgio Moroder score, excellent cinematography, and great performances all around.

I think what ruined it for me was the story/script. Some of the dialogue scenes are pretty awful (while some are downright great), and while I'm used to many horror films lacking in the logic department, this one is just a mess.

Still, there's a lot to love about this film and the soundtrack frequently shows up on my playlist. If there was a Blu release, I'd consider picking it up.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  17. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I've seen the film as well but I have fond memories of watching it. I also love the posters.

Attached Files:

18. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I agree. I've never been a fan of this film. I thought it was okay..very average at best, but nothing that knocked my socks off. I picked this up on dvd at Big Lots for $3 just to add it to my collection.