Censor - June 18th, 2021

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Jun 14, 2021.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Now in limited theatrical, on VOD this Friday.

Film censor Enid takes pride in her meticulous work, guarding unsuspecting audiences from the deleterious effects of watching the gore-filled decapitations and eye-gougings she pores over. Her sense of duty to protect is amplified by guilt over her inability to recall details of the long-ago disappearance of her sister, recently declared dead in absentia. When Enid is assigned to review a disturbing film from the archive that echoes her hazy childhood memories, she begins to unravel how this eerie work might be tied to her past.

I have to be honest, the whole "video nasty" thing that everyone is so obsessed over kind of just makes me shrug.

That said, the movie looks cool and it's fun seeing the clips from Nightmares In A Damaged Brain and such.

2. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

That looks great!

3. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I saw this mentioned on Bloody Disgusting a while back and put it on the list. I'll pass on the trailer. I need to see more of these video nasty movies though. The ones I've seen are no joke though. Zombi 2 is the real deal. Actually the few Italian horror movies I've seen are really different and violent with the horror scenes.

Steel76 likes this.
  4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I saw this over the weekend and thought it was fine for a one-time watch, but it didn't leave a big impression. My biggest problem with the movie is the main character and how seriously she takes her job as the morality police. When she wasn't being so self-righteous, she was outright boring. I found her so unlikable that it was difficult to engage with the movie the way I would have liked to.

I did enjoy the finale, which takes place on a movie-set out in the woods. That sequence was stylish, gory, and fun. Otherwise, most of the movie was just meh for me. I'll stick with Evil Ed.

5. sinister

sinister Active Member

Watched this last night and agree the main character is kinda unlikable, flat and boring. I couldn't decide whether this was exactly as intended and was some great acting or was actually just that the acting was mediocre. Loved all the 80's references and video nasty stuff, very well done and atmospheric. But the rest was kinda average so overall certainly worth a watch once but maybe not more than that.

6. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I went in without seeing the trailer or reading synopsis and I can't say I was that impressed. I enjoyed it at the beginning but the censor stuff was dropped pretty quick and once we got into the surreal and the sister searching stuff I got bored pretty quickly, however I did like the ending with real/fantasy footage and my interpretation of what I believe had happened, but it was a slog to get there and it's only 83 minutes long!

I agree with others that the main character was unlikeable and boring and my take is that's the way they wanted her portrayed.

I didn't know it was set in England , I grew up in the middle of the video nasty stuff so it made me smile when she was in the video shop trying to get under the counter treasure, although I'm not sure what made me smile more the fact it reminded me of a scenario I faced on numerous occasions, the poorly conceived dialogue or the very poorly designed video shop.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  7. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I grew up going to a Mom & Pop type video store I think. There was a big crowd in a small store during the weekends renting videos. Maybe the store was two normal stores. I'm talking strip mall type setup. But I don't think they had video nasty movies to rent. I remember walking up and down the aisles. There were only like four aisles. It's possible one aisle closest to the register had the darker movies. I can't remember going down that aisle. It probably would have been a bit embarrassing to rent nudie movies if they had them when the checkout people were teenagers with one or two adults watching. I don't think I even rented Friday the 13th there. The store is gone now I think.

I know I saw one nudie movie store growing up when I was a teenager but it was in a bad area. I thought you had to be brave to go in there. Teens I knew would pay college kids to buy nudie magazines. No way would they go into a store.

hots4 likes this.