Chaney's Phantom of the Opera coming to Blu-ray 11/1/11

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by shape22, Sep 8, 2011.

1. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

He was the “Man of a Thousand Faces.” Generations of filmgoers the world over have been thrilled by his portrayals that showcased – and more often than not, empathized with – the shadows of human nature. And now the makeup artistry of a true cinematic pioneer can be seen in high definition! On November 1st, Image Entertainment releases the Lon Chaney classic Phantom of the Opera for the first time on Blu-ray™! The Blu-ray™ features 3 versions of the film – assembled together for the first time in a single release -- including a brand-new high definition digital transfer from the 35mm negative, plus Gaylord Carter's famous theatre organ score, released for the first time as recorded in stereo! MSRP is $39.98.

Produced by renowned silent film authority and preservationist David Shepard, the Phantom of the Opera Blu-ray™ includes the following versions:

• Brand-new HD digital transfer of the 24fps version of 1929 reissue (Academy Aspect Ratio; 16x9 pillar-boxed) from the 35mm negative, with tinted sequences including the Bal Masque sequence in two-strip Technicolor. Featuring a brand new music score by Alloy Orchestra, plus Gaylord Carter’s famous theatre organ score, released for the first time in stereo.

• Brand-new HD transfer of 20fps version of 1929 reissue with tinting, Technicolor and hand-coloring. Symphonic score composed by Gabriel Thibaudeau, performed by I Musici de Montreal, conducted by Yuri Turovsky with Claudine Cote, soprano presented in stereo, along with a new full-length audio essay by Dr. Jon Mirsalis.

• Standard definition presentation of the original 1925 release from a 16mm tinted source copy. Accompanied by a new piano score by Dr. Frederick Hodges.

Chaney stars as Erik, the “Phantom” who lives deep within the twisting catacombs and dungeons beneath the 19th century Paris Opera House. The singers all speak of a ghost who walks the halls, yet no one has ever seen him. But when Erik falls in love with the beautiful aspiring singer Christine, rumor becomes reality when he kidnaps her and holds her hostage in his lair. Hoping, praying that she might see beyond the mask and the disfigurement hiding under it...

As in all his films, Chaney designed the now signature makeup for the Phantom, employing techniques – like pining his nose with wires – that not only expressed the outward physical pain of the characters, but inflicted great personal discomfort on the actor bringing them to life.

Special Features
    Phantom of the Opera trailer
    An Interview with Gabriel Thibaudeau
    Photo Gallery
    Phantom Script
    Phantom souvenir program reproduction

2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Very cool, but this should have been released before Halloween.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

4. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

With IMAGE releasing this, I expect just DVD upscaled transfers... LOL

Seriously, I hope they don't screw this up like they have with the Studio Canal titles.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I'm waiting until I see reviews. I never picked up the DVD release because of reports about motion blurring. It's a good sign that at least that this one will give us a variety of viewing options to choose from.

6. shape22

Supposedly a full digital transfer (which this is) would eliminate the ghosting. Reliable sources cite an analog master as the cause for The Ultimate Edition DVD blurring.

"This being a restoration mastered in the U.K., I at first presumed that the blurring points to a frame-rate problem common in PAL-to-NTSC conversions. However, another explanation comes from a first-hand source, Dennis Doros of Milestone Films. Over at hometheaterforum.com, Doros is quoted to report that the blurring has nothing to do with PAL or the restoration process. Photoplay did their frames-per-second speed corrections for this transfer some years ago, when it was accomplished via tape-to-tape after the conversion from film. This is what caused the motion blur. With today's transfer equipment, the blurring would not occur."

http://www.dvdjournal.com/reviews/p/phantomoftheopera_ue.shtml

That all makes sense. But I'll also be waiting for the reviews. I own The Ultimate Edition DVD and I definitely don't need the Blu-ray if it's plagued with the same issue. It's definitely distracting and unnatural looking.

7. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

I'm confident the transfer will be remarkable.

8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Isn't this the first silent horror film to hit Blu-Ray?

9. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I thought that was Metropolis, but this is going on my want list.

10. shape22

It's probably splitting hairs. But I'd call Metropolis Sci-fi. I think Phantom will be the first.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  11. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Island of Lost Souls isn't a silent film, but The Phantom Carriage (Körkarlen), also being released by Criterion, is. It will be released on 09/27/2011 beating out Phantom of the Opera's 11/01/2011 release.

12. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I just finally picked up the Ultimate Edition last year and still haven't even gotten around to watching it. Doubt I'll be in a rush to pick this up, but I will be curious as to the picture quality.

13. shape22

Getting back to (and expanding) Ash's question, how many horror films from the 30s are out on Blu-ray at this point? I can think of M and The Island Of Lost Souls off the top of my head. But I can't come up with any others.

Universal really needs to get moving. Am I the only one who'd pay a premium for proper restorations of the classic Universal films on Blu-ray?

14. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

No sir I would be right behind you in the line up if those came out.

15. shape22

Thanks. I know. I actually woke up from a dead sleep and jumped out of bed to correct my post. I'm sure my subconscious mind was saying "wake up moron!" for hours before I finally did.

I've learned my lesson. No more watching SportsCenter, sending text messages, and posting at the same time--especially not when I'm deep into a bottle of rum.

Is The Phantom Carriage any good? I've never seen that one before.

16. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I've never actually seen it myself, but I'm definitely looking forward to the Criterion release.

17. Nailwraps

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Jesus, a couple of points:
    The 20fps version is 1080i because that's the only way to get another frame rate on home video using universal HD standards. Criterion did this with their Charlie Chaplin releases as well as Phantom Carriage [although the HorrorDVDs.com review lists it incorrectly at 1080p].

It's entirely possible, see, you just play the same reel of film SLOWER or FASTER. Instead of at 24 FRAMES PER SECOND you play it at 20 FRAMES PER SECOND. How is it technically impossible to play a reel of film at different frame rates? Is it a law of physics like the constant speed of light? You could play a film at any damn film rate, why you could just pull the feeding film with your own finger and do it!

It's possible that they did different restoration work and telecined it two times so you can get slightly different results, including different levels. But I'd have to agree, it may be a different print. (Which admittedly is rather illogical to do. I'm certainly you could restore it at 24fps and then easily change it to 20fps.)

I have to wonder what qualifies these reviewers beyond owning a Blu-ray player. Some of this is so obvious a novice like me can call them out on this.

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

The Blu-ray.com review has since been updated to remove all the idiocy I quoted above. Fortunately I've saved it for future generations and will probably never take a Blu-ray.com review seriously ever again because apparently even the editor knows jack shit.

After people got their hands on the discs, they've discovered a few different problems. Namely the stereo scores are infact mono. Also the 1925 version is flagged widescreen when it is of course 4:3. Also also the 24 fps version seems over saturated compared to the 20 fps version. So all of the video transfers are compromised somehow.

From David Shepard:
    http://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8344&p=70588#p70496

It sounds like they're doing on-the-fly work instead of frame by frame scanning/restoration. This is probably cheaper and I can't truly berate them for doing that on a silent public domain film. Still that's disappointing and obviously their corner cutting has cost them in the end because all three transfers are each uniquely fucked up.

20. Nailwraps