Charles Philip Moore's DEMON WIND (1990) from Vinegar Syndrome!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bruce h, Aug 23, 2017.

1. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Another exclusive from my Cinema Arcana FB Page!

"There's something deadly in the air." Cross another title off your Blu-Ray Wish List -- Vinegar Syndrome are giving Charles Philip Moore's VHS holdout DEMON WIND (1990) its HD debut this October!

Compelled by forces unknown following the suicide of his father, college kid Cory wrangles up his pals and heads to the middle of Nowhere USA in search of his grandparents’ ramshackle farmhouse – the site of their mysterious death sixty years prior. It isn’t long before our group finds out the cabin they sought is cursed—bending the rules of time, space and reality—and, as the sun sets, demonic possession becomes the order of the night. I mentioned the cabin, did I mention the ancient book? How about the mystical daggers? What about the convertible-cruising kung fu magicians, who say, “We’ll just have to go out there and kick some supernatural ass!”? Multiple flashbacks. Non-lucid dreams, sometimes of gas station nudity. Surprise booty shake. Surprise phantom kids. Surprise ghost boobs. A local bartender says, “We have beer, cake, water and goat’s milk.” One girl disappears, and no one seems to care. The macho alpha male has sorta-gay nightmares. Demon head kick. Demon dick kick. “Eat it, scumbags!” Yup, it’s that kind of movie.

An ambitious and at-times eerie low-budget horror, thematically akin to previous ventures like EVIL DEAD (1981), NIGHT OF THE DEMONS (1988) and, uh, DEAD DUDES IN THE HOUSE (1989), DEMON WIND may not be some unheralded masterpiece, but it doesn’t have to be. It’s a fun little romp showcasing abundant atmosphere, effective make-up FX and inspired stunt work; practically perfect programming for your movie night routine with the right friends and right intoxicants.

Fans have long been forced to make do with Prism Entertainment’s 1990 VHS or worse-quality import DVDs, but not anymore. Vinegar Syndrome have granted the film a full-on special edition, starting with a beautiful 2K restoration from its original 35mm camera negative, supplemented with a bevy of bonus features sure to part the horror masses with their hard-earned cash. Extras include on-camera interviews with executive producer Sandy Horowitz, actress Sherry Bendorf Leigh and cinematographer Thomas L. Callaway, an audio chat with editor Chris Roth, the original trailer, and reversible cover art. If that’s not enough, the company is also offering a limited edition lenticular slipcase, replicating DEMON WIND’s original tape release. This cover variant will only be available for purchase direct -- pre-order is slated to go live this Friday, August 25th. Street date is set for October 24th. "And now my pig, you die!"

[​IMG]

2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Awesome news I still have the vhs of this

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

HOLY SHIT!!!!! I friggin' love Demon Wind! :):):):)

Excellent news, and from a solid label no less! Thanks for the news Bruce!

4. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

This makes three films Code Red has indirectly suggested wouldn't see the light of day. I guess this is what Bill is talking ab0ut when he whines about other labels "bothering" his rights owners :D

5. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

7. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I never rented this one, but I sure do remember that VHS cover!

Katatonia likes this.
  8. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I blind bought the movie on Laserdisc, back in the mid 90:s, hoping for a fun Evil Dead rip-off, but ended up hating it.

Though, some movies end up getting better the next time you watch it, when you have really low expectations.
    So I watched it on Youtube last night, and even though I didn't hate it this time, it was still not my cup of tea.

It starts pretty promising, but then quickly starts to fall apart, especially the silly ending, that really took me out of the movie.
    It reminded me of some mediocre Charles Band movie, with all the badly animated "Laser"/Lightning FX, during the climax.
    I wish they didn't use those visual FX, and instead killed all the demons the good old fashioned way, by brutal dismemberment and showering the screen with gore. The demons would have been more scary, if they didn't talk, because the dialogue was kinda cringy.

Though, I can understand that the movie has a cult following, and even though the movie wasn't for me, I'm glad that Vinegar Syndrome continues to release these obscure movies, for the fans out there.
    And if you love the movie, then this looks like it's going to be an amazing release :)

9. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I own the German dvd for this movie and will have to agree with Steel76. Outside of the dvd's rarity, it was never a highly cherished item in my collection. Not bad, but I can't see too many people liking this for more than the overall package of an ok film with awesome cover art.

Steel76 likes this.
  10. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

I'm really excited for this one. I caught it on HBO back in the 90s one night and really enjoyed it. One of those times when you stumble across something and it just captures you in the right mood.

Katatonia likes this.
  11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Thanks for the vid Steel! I've watched about 40 minutes so far and I'm thinking this will be a pass for me too. So far it's been rather uneventful. Definitely has a Full Moon vibe.

Steel76 likes this.