Check out my "new" acquisition!

Discussion in 'General' started by maybrick, Mar 31, 2012.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

As I've mentioned before, I recently took a job working in a mom and pop TV store. Anyways, last week I was asked to do inventory of every thing we had in stock so after a couple of days of writing down everything on the sales floor I headed into the backroom. Tucked away in a far corner underneath some boxes of old busted remote controls I found a treasure that I've been holding out hopes for for almost a decade now: a decent standalone VCR from the days when they actually made decent VCRs, not the hunks of junk that littered the market (and really still litter the market) in the declining years of VHS. Yesiree, I found myself a Quasar VH6404FC, manufacturing date 1990, still boxed up and unsold! It's a thing of beauty, and a complete MONSTER. Check it out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't wait to sit down and watch my Wizard video of ZOMBIE later. AIEEE!!!

2. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Fun! What did they give it to you for? The fact that was never used is pretty cool.

3. maybrick

I'm still not sure yet. I began trying to haggle with my boss at $20 and all he did was laugh maniacally. Later that afternoon I upped it to $25. He still wouldn't give me a price. Today I told him I'd pay $40 for it but I still got no definitive answer, only "Wow! That's a full tenth of it's cost!" To which I responded, "Yeah... 25 YEARS ago. How do I know it'll even last the night?" Later on he told me I should take it home, but still no word on the price. Maybe I'm getting it for free? I don't think I'll be giving it up now that it's in my house. Truth be told though, I do think it needs a bit of a cleaning. There was quite a bit of static and tracking issues when I put Raiders of Atlantis in, but after a minute it cleared up and achieved an exceptionally stable image. My newer by about 9 years Sharp always kind of looked like crap in comparison.

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

What a terrific find!

5. Mitbox

Mitbox Member

Nice find, hopefully you'll get it for free.
    I miss the smell of VHS tapes and the sound of the tape going in/out the VCR. What I don't miss is "tunning" the tracking. I had a Samsung from 1991 and it died about a year ago. RIP VCR.

6. Mutilated Prey

Seems like the going rate for for those types of VCR's is about $30 used. Brand new I would think closer to $100, at least. But yeah, maybe they will just give it to you. If not and it works well I'd offer him $50 and think he'll probably take it.

7. maybrick

This one auto tracks and it does a fantastic job, too. I'm watching a rather terrible sex comedy from the early 80s called GORP right now and while it was virtually unwatchable on my last player this one is playing it flawlessly. I love how this model has a tray for the tapes like DVD players have for discs. I think that's really cool.

8. maybrick

I hope so. I never really wanted to go beyond $50 anyways and I've already offered $40. But now that I have it in my house I could conceivably pay $100 for it. But shh, don't tell my boss. ;)

9. Spit

Spit Active Member

My god, its beautiful. Congratz.

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, that was interesting, i've never seen that before. as far as i was aware, they just jumped straight from those old top-loading transformer-like monstrosities to the standard front-loaders. i'll always remember the top-loaders with fondness, though.

11. Mutilated Prey

Yup, my Panasonic 3800 DAT deck loads that way - pretty cool.

12. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I have a buddy who used to have that exact model,I think he still has it in storage.Sweet find !

13. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Is it just me or everything in these pictures looks dusty as hell? Might be time to use a dust rag and polish that baby up!

14. maybrick

Ha! I noticed that too. Probably a bit too excited on my part to snap the pics once I set everything up, which is why I mentioned earlier that it could use a cleaning. It was sitting stagnant in a corner for longer than some members here have been alive after all! :)

I plan on opening it up an giving it a thorough wipe down on Sunday.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

VHS-C, nice. :D Monday I just saw a box for a video camera that used that in my parent's garage.

Sweet find and it may very well be free. When I worked for an ISP I was doing inventory same as you and came across an original SCSI external CD-ROM drive. He said it was one of the originals on the market and didn't even have a spec speed because it was the original at "1X." It came with cartridges that you put the CD in and inserted like a floppy disc drive. He gave that to me for free.

Thought I was nuts too. :D

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Nice! I've got a couple Panasonic AG-5210's I've been using and are nothing but quality. These are actually professional production-grade 4-head video cassette recorders used for tape dubbing. My work was downsizing the duplication area and so I nabbed about 4 of them from going to the recycling bin.

17. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Nice score, maybrick. More pixplz.

18. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

have a couple of VCR's here at home, but why I don't know, I've given away/ thrown away almost all my tapes after putting them on dvd-r's and making a homemade cover. Now it makes me wish I kept the tapes, nostalgic I guess......congrats Maybrick

19. maybrick

Funny enough, I'm probably going to be transferring a VHS-C tape to DVD at work later today. It's amazing how some formats just refuse to die.

20. maybrick

I would but I'm not sure what else to show you. That's pretty much it right there unless you want a better look at the remote.