Cherry Falls - a complete turd of a movie

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by BlazingMagnum, Jan 16, 2003.

1. I avoid most of the newer horror movies to be honest - especially stuff like this, but the other night I watched this movie & it really sucks very bit things!

True - it was cut to hell, but even with the gore & splattery parts intact - this movie was still a turd. It played like a TV movie slasher film.

The night before, I checked out Valentine - and it was really just a combination of major aspects of Halloween, Friday The 13th & Alone In The Dark, Totally lame - but at least it had a beginning, a middle & an end.:fire:

2. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Valentine sucked ass. So did Cherry Falls. But at least both flicks had a great piece of ass to look at.

3. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

never seen Cherry Falls, but I'll take your word for it... Valentine blew!

4. Valentine was horrible. Plain and simple.

Cherry Falls was good. It had odd acting, odd story, odd dialogue and odd killer, but somehow I enjoyed it. I could have done without the father/daughter almost incestuous relationship, but other than that it was fine. I've seen much worse.

5. tenebre

tenebre Guest

i liked valentine./..

oh well

6. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Slasher-Lite

I didn't mind Cherry Falls. It's a watchable slasher, but it doesn't live up to the hype.

BM, try sitting through Ripper: Letter From Hell, CUT, or Christina's House. They make Cheery Falls look like a friggin' classic.

7. I'll give 'em a miss I think. Cherry Falls was bad enough. I think I'll stick to my 80's slasher collection. Don't Open Til Christmas, Nightmare (Nightmares In A Damaged Brain) Slaughter High, Pieces & that sort of thing. Real highbrow slasher movies :banana: :lol: :evil:

8. ScarredGod

ScarredGod Guest

stupid movie but the title "cherry falls" in association with the plot is kinda cute.

9. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I did enjoy Cherry Falls mostly because I like Brittany Murphy :D
    There's a complete unrated Spanish DVD of Cherry Falls out there somewheres btw

10. Jamm

Jamm J'aime les cadavres

I know I've put this movie in to watch several times, but I don't think I've been able to pay attention or see the whole thing from beginning to end.

One question about what I have seen of this movie:
    What was the point?

11. ---------

Yeah, not only does Cherry Falls blows, but its finale is a grade-Z ripoff of Dressed to Kill . So disappointing. However, I rented this on a double-feature DVD, and the one on the flip side is this comedy chiller anthrology called Terror Tract , which actually offers up some good fun. Worth checking out sometime, this.

12. Ravenheart

Ravenheart Guest

I liked both Valentine and Cherry Falls :)

13. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Thanks to threads like this, and the odd review I've came across, I have managed to stay far away from both of these movies (aren't they both on the same disc? The one I wouldn't pay $4 for at the used store due to hearing how much both films sucked!)
    Thanks all! :D

14. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that Cherry Falls was supposed to be gorier but had to be cut. I think the scenes were shot and everything. But it appears that they are not available to ever be reinserted. Thus, I never even bothered to watch it for a first time.

15. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Brittany Murphy had some very hot moments in Cherry Falls. It's not very good, but I didn't hate it.

For whatever reason, I've always liked Valentine. Not scary, but has great atmosphere and yeah...great babes.

16. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I thought Cherry falls was a fun underrated film and Terror Tract just sealed the deal for me, another fun film. Way better then Valentine IMO

17. geekcccp

geekcccp Guest

I just picked up Legacy of Blood and it strongly recommended Cherry Falls but I cant find it anywhere...If anyone knows where I can get a copy (any region) please let me know

18. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

The disc is out of print, but you can find it used at Amazon and I'm sure you can get it through eBay as well.

I haven't seen this film in quite a while but I remember enjoying it. Not something I'd watch again, though.

19. Fumi

Fumi Member

I thought Cherry Falls was an okay movie. Not great by any means, but a whole lot better than Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer or Wes Craven's New Nightmare.

20. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

I wish Cherry Falls would get rereleased on DVD in R1 with this artwork.

[​IMG]

...and uncut and with a 16x9 enhanced transfer in its original 1.85:1 ratio.

Extras would be great too. Perhaps a commentary with the filmmakers and/or Brittany Murphy, new interviews, a documentary, deleted scenes, outtakes, etc.

I missed out on the one and only DVD release of the film in R1 and that's probably fine considering it sounded like a wasted effort. First of all, it was presented as a double feature DVD, which to me says they had no faith in the movie selling on its own. It's paired with some flick called Terror Tract which cheapens the film (Cherry Falls) and makes it seem like one of those Wal*Mart bargain bin discs. Second, the cover art is awful.

[​IMG]

Oddly enough, the back of the case indicates that both films are presented in a 1.77:1 ratio. I realize there isn't a whole heck of a lot of difference between 1.77:1 and 1.85:1, but if 1.85:1 is Cherry Falls' OAR it should be presented in 1.85:1. Nowhere on the case (that I could see) does it mention whether or not these transfers are 16x9 enhanced. I wouldn't be surprised if they were non-anamorphic. Of course, the version of Cherry Falls presented on this disc is the heavily butchered edition that made its US premiere on television via USA on October 20th, 2000. As expected, no extras. Just a cheap, pathetic disc.

Considering how popular horror films are now, it's very strange that Cherry Falls hasn't received another R1 DVD release. Not only was the last DVD released way back on February 27th, 2001, but it's been out of print for the last two or three years.

Also, why does Valentine get dumped on so much? I keep reading several posts on how almost everyone hates it, but they never say why. I think it is pretty damn good. The killer had a creepy mask, that's for sure.