Cherry Falls - a complete turd of a movie

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by BlazingMagnum, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I think I posted this article once, not sure in which thread :eek2:
    This might be "old" news to most of you, but since this Cherry Falls thread got bumped I thought it's worth posting again:

2. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

i have that disc. both films are anamorphic, and cherry falls is SLIGHTLY longer than the cut on USA, but it's still missing all the cut gore mentioned on the imdb

3. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I love Valentine!

Cherry Falls, however, is simply horrible.

4. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

Valentine was okay, but after reading on the imdb about all the gore cut and hearing about it on the audio commentary, it sounds like the uncut version would be sweet

5. geekcccp

geekcccp Guest

Thanks a bundle to everyone who responded...i saw that this film was on several times on USA but I hate seeing films for the first time edited....i'll seek out the dvd release..thanks again

6. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

hows terror tract? i just noticed john ritter was in it. is it good enough to watch for a john ritter fan?

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I vaguely remember renting it several years ago. I don't recall it being anything special, but it wasn't bad. So yeah, Ritter fans would probably enjoy it.

8. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Ritter basically made that movie for me (he did get a bit over the top near the end, but it fits what was going on). Definitly worth a rent if you're a fan, quite possibly worth a blind buy if you get the disc cheap (which you should, it's in many used stores).
    Cherry Falls was decent. After reading all the bash posts I thought it would suck, but I enjoyed it and now wish an un-cut version would surface. I'll give it an extra point for my first 2 guesses at the killer being wrong, nice to get fooled once in a while (last attepmt, I called Hide and Seek correct 2 minutes in :eek: ).

9. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I watched this for the first time tonight (thought I had seen it before, but was thinking of another movie), and I liked it well enough save for the father/daughter almost incestuous relationship. What the ever living hell was that about? Were they trying to be weird? Was this on purpose? Did they really want each other and just weren't able to act as father/daughter? Is there a lost plot bunny where he wasn't her real dad? More than once I really thought they were about to start making out or something. This of course destroyed the whole father/daughter part of the story. Strange. :eek2:

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2007
  10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

If I had paid to see it in a theater I would've walked out. If I had rented it, I would've taken it out of the player. But I was with my niece and she appeared okay with it and there was nothing else to do or watch so I was stuck.

11. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

i never noticed that the father and daughter had more going on with each other and i've seen the movie twice.

not too bad, but i read the MPAA had some gore cut out, so eventually its balls were cut off from the beginning

12. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I don't know man. That's not your typical father-daughter vibe if you ask me, and that's just one questionable scene. Don't get me started on this one.

13. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

that indeed seems to insinuate that something's going on.

but to be honest, i don't care, movies are the only place where this is allowed. if one can stand to see how someone is murdered (or a very sadistic variation) in a movie (see most gory horror movies), one shouldn't be upset when this happens. maybe they were dating at the moment?

and maybe the director added this on purpose, just to stick something dirty or off the wall in it, instead of the usual, cute PG-horror

but alas, the gore was cut, and that's a more important issue. of course, many people here are right when they claim this one isn't worth much, but i have seen much worse

14. onebyone

onebyone Guest

The movie really didn't need anything more "dirty," it needed more gore. The whole concept was dirty enough. I can't imagine that was it.
    I think it got in the way of what seemed to be one of the main factors of the story, her realizing her father was not the hero she thought him to be (as well as making the whole virgin question seem the least of her worries),
    and added nothing but a few strange "WTFs??" to the movie. I am not losing sleep over it mind you, I just wondered if there was a worthwhile reason for this vibe to be in the movie (a cut plotline perhaps???) or if it was just an acting disaster of some kind.

I will shut up about the father/daughter incest vibe now though, as I think I already worried more about this movie than anyone making it did. Oh well. It did have
    crazy Jay Mohr in drag,
    and that alone made the movie worth seeing once.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2007