"Cherry Falls" on DVD?

Discussion in 'General' started by It's me Billy, Jul 23, 2004.

1. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

Okay, so the Cherry Falls/Terror Tract Double Feature DVD has been Out Of Print for quite some time now. Is there any word on it being re-released (preferably by itself) on DVD any time soon? From what I understand, there are two cuts of the film, an R-Rated cut, and an Unrated cut. Supposedly, the previous DVD contained the heavily edited R-Rated cut. I wish it would be re-released as a Special Edition with the Unrated cut in 16:9 widescreen, commentary, etc.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2004
  2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I remember seeing the Cherry Falls/Terror Tract Double Feature DVD for sale at Best buy a couple of weeks ago. So there are some copies out there. Also try Ebay.I haven't heard any word of the Unrated cut being released any time soon,

3. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

This article was posted at MHVF.net some time ago:

I asked Wright about this shortly after the film came out and to make a long story short, his intended cut never made it past a low-res AVID stage. Of course, since that time he was not only forced to remove and recut extensive sections of the film, he was also forced to reshoot softer variants of everything from sex and violence to the more provocative lines of dialogue. In order to do a restoration, a full re-assembly would essentially be required, and they would need to go through endless cans of neg and mountains of editing notes to even come close to doing it right. Now, this certainly isn't impossible - indeed, Frank Mazzola did exactly that when he undertook the retoration of Donald Cammell's brilliant director's cut of WILD SIDE - but it is a very costly endeavor. I would like to think that someone would at least have a semi-watchable VHS of the first cut for easy reference, but I'm not sure.
    I do agree,
    CHERRY FALLS is a unique, subversive satire that in its current version feels wholly tampered with. It consistently falls short of achieving the greatness that was so clearly within reach (and that I've no doubt, Wright must have initally attained - hence the uproariously knee-jerk response that his cut received from both the MPAA and USA films).

What's really awful is that had October Films not gone under and been taken over by USA while the film was in production, Wright would have almost certainly had people fighting in his corner and the film could very well have come out relatively untouched.

It's bitterly ironic that the actual negative was re-worked to achieve an R-rating for the US theatrical release...destroying the opportunity for multiple release cuts and meaning that every international territory was now stuck with the bastardized version... and it had a theatrical run almost everywhere in the world EXCEPT for the country it was mutilated for!

4. patmcgahern

patmcgahern Guest

Trust me, I've sen the workprint, twas no masterpiece, although the bit with the pane of glass was cool, it was refilmed and cut again as the bit where she splits her head off the doorknob

5. thing

thing Well-Known Member