"Children of Men" (2006, Alfonso Cuarón)

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Uncle Jay, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

Alfonso Cuarón is a magnificent director, whom I have had my eye on ever since he delivered an updated, modern version of Charles Dickens' "Great Expectations" back in 1998. His "Y tu Mamá También" was another well-done film depicting two teenage boys embarking on a road trip with a slightly older and more experienced woman. And of course there's his third entry to "Harry Potter" that was well-loved by critics and fans.

"Children of Men" is a brilliant look at our future, twenty years from now. Set in wartime London, 2027 in a world where we can no longer procreate due to an epidemic that occurs in 2008. The story surrounds Theo (Clive Owen), a former activist turned 9-to-5'er, who is abruptly and violently contacted by a small band of refugees led by his ex-girlfriend (Julianne Moore). They ask his help to gather impossible-to-get transfer papers, to deliver a somewhat important girl to a remote sanctuary at sea.

Theo comes to realize, after he quickly finds himself a refugee and an innocent victim of circumstance, that the young girl is miraculously pregnant and could be the salvation of humankind. But of course, things get sticky. I'll stop here.

This is an excellent entry into the dysotopian film canon, alongside masterpieces like "Metropolis," "Brazil" and "Equilibrium." The acting is top-notch, a wonderful, subtly heroic performance from Clive Owen, and a fun yet pivotal performance from veteran Michael Caine. The art direction is mesmerizingly bleak and the cinematography is masterfully executed. "Children of Men" is a well-written, well-directed and well-produced piece of science-fiction. And one of the best films of 2006.

Bravo, Mr. Cuarón !

[​IMG]

-UJ

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Great mini-review, and your precise analysis really makes me want to see this. I planned to see it in 2006 when it was released in theatres, but never got around to it. I'll most definitely check it out now.

~Matt

3. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I have seen this a couple of times. Remarkable. So well done.

This is one of those non horror films that are scary as far as how would people act if...?

4. rijir

rijir Member

Yes this is a very good film. It is also one of those you can watch over and over.

5. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I watched this about a year ago on Cinemax. Very well done. It's a very bleak look into the future and has some powerful performances. Overall, a well made, solid film.

6. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Am I the only one who thought this was overrated? The reason to see this is the cinematography, which is absolutely OUTSTANDING. The long sequence between buildings during the firefight is probably one of the best uses of the camera I have ever seen.

As a story it left me a little cold.

7. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Loved this movie as well. And Michael Caine was hilarious!

8. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

The DVD has some commentary by Slavoj Zizek and it is absolutely brilliant. He really does a great job of exploring some of the symbolism in the film and the guy is a total trip to listen to. He also has a series called "Perverts Guide to Cinema" that is nothing short of fantastic.

9. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

This is a great film. One of the very few instances that the film is actually better than the novel in my opinion. The final confrontation is so genuinely moving- not a cheap "pulling-of-the-heartstrings" at all.

10. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Michael Caine was my favorite in this film. He was very funny! :lol:

11. killit

killit Active Member

was this an official remake of 2019: The rise and fall of new york or something?