Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things, Ruby, and City of The Dead from VCI!!!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Nailwraps, May 28, 2015.

1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

2. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Excellent, I'll get all three.

3. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

A bit concerned as their BluRays have been less than stellar, and they use MPEG-2 in this day and age

4. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I see Children/Dead Things and City of the Dead but not Ruby. That one's my fav of the trio - hope it gets a good BD. Otherwise, what's the point?

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Why not Satan's Cheerleaders, considering they just released a nice widescreen DVD?

6. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

they use MPEG-2???? who the hell would use that in 2015 for a blu ray release, that was something they used only on the very earliest blu ray releases I thought like in 2006. haha VCI get with the times! I mean I guess it could still look okay, but you'd have to use a Blu ray 50 when you could use AVC codec and use a Blu ray 25 with the same results for the movie. VCI why must you be so behind the times, Oh and don't fuck up on these releases, like you do on everything you release for for the first time on a new format. Make the first release the only one you have to do, that way it's not necessary to do it over again in 2years, because you screwed up on the first release.

7. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It sounds like maybe it was supposed to be a Blu-ray release, since Greydon Clark mentions it also as a Blu-ray on the new DVD commentary.

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense. Their earlier Blu-rays were AVC MPEG-4 encodes though, so it's been a devolution... similar to many Severin Blu-rays. Hopefully they'll correct it now.

9. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

yeah MPEG-2 is for DVD, the whole purpose of blu ray was the advantage of the new codecs. I mean yeah I'm not getting why anyone would even use MPEG-2. Unless they are using a Windows 95 computer to encode their blu rays on haha. Even that other codec that can be used for BLu ray the WMV or something like that, is not as good as AVC, so no one even uses that hardly anymore. I will wait for reviews before buying these. Because Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things looked pretty bad on the anamorphic DVD, I was not impressed at all. I hope they pull off a miracle with the blu ray, I really do, because I love that movie and want to buy it, but I'm not going to preorder because I suspect the blu ray will look not so good, but I hope they do surprise me, because I'd love to see this movie looking great finally.

10. elDomenechHDG

VCI is a tiny label based in Utah (I believe) - they're probably still run by the same folks who started the company about 40 years ago. I'm picturing a grandfatherly old man and his disinterested son(s) trying to keep a business afloat to pay their bills. Innovation and modern technology is probably the last thing on their minds lol. Heck, they're still hung on catalogs! Even the DVD format is still relatively new to them. Unless somebody with vision and grand plans buys them out and transforms them into the Shout Factory of the Midwest, they're still going to meekly churn out outdated products. BTW, Shout Factory started out as nobodies in California, distributing children's compilation CDs and TV shows and look at them now.

11. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

yeah VCI is based in Oklahoma, I used to order VHS through their catalog from them many years ago when I was a teenager, but VHS quality DVD and blu ray are not acceptable in the world of today lol.

12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things is up for pre-order on Amazon with a February 23rd street date.

zbinks likes this.
  13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

14. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

15. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

If the DVDBeaver review of VCI's other recent Blu-ray release The Giant Spider Invasion is any indication, it's gonna be terribly applied DNR with black levels beyond crushed and compression artifacts.

An excerpt from the Giant Spider Invasion video quality review:
    So things aren't looking good for Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things...

Katatonia likes this.
  16. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

is anyone surprised the transfer sounds like it will suck? haha

17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

That's what I was saying about The Giant Spider Invasion Blu-ray last year... when it was a VCI exclusive. You could clearly tell DNR had been heavily applied, and not helped with an antiquated MPEG-2 encode, yet everybody else seemed to think it looked "good" since it was a "low budget" film from the 70's. Now that the retail version has been released, it seems the DNR and compression problems are becoming more apparent to reviewers. o_O

At least they've upped the encode to VC-1 with this release, but still bewildering that they didn't just go with the superior AVC.

18. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

Low budget films don't look bad, I am convinced of this ever since seeing the films of Jess Franco hit blu ray. Low Budget films can look just as good as any other film, if they are given a proper transfer. Now I know if you take a film print that was shit on by a buffalo or something you will get a bad looking transfer, but just because films were not big budget, is no excuse for them to look bad on blu ray. I think sometimes we just make excuses for companies when in reality they could have done better. Now I know Synapse can take fucking 5 years to release a movie, and sometimes it's not worth waiting that long, but their transfers of the most rare films end up looking fucking amazing, so I mean just because a film is low budget is no reason it can't look totally beautiful.

19. elDomenechHDG

Well, judging from that review it sounds like VCI have done an acceptable job this time. Acceptable, as in, this is unlikely to ever receive better treatment. At least it looks better than the Exhumed edition. Now, how about RUBY - when is that one supposed to come out?

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I've learned, especially with Blu-ray, that a bigger better transfer is always down the road. It may be 5-10 years but even if it just means a better transfer of the same master (like Demons/2/Tenebrae) for some of these releases it's just not worth the time if it's not done right the first time. I've already bought the DVD twice over, and haven't watched it in 10 years, so it'll do.