Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things, Ruby, and City of The Dead from VCI!!!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Nailwraps, May 28, 2015.

1. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

yeah there will be a new transfer, VCI will redo it, they release the same films over and over again, they don't seem to acquire any new films, they've been releasing the same films over and over for 25 years now lol. But I might get this one, because once I buy a film on blu ray I am not upgrading, I bought the UK blu ray of Suspiria, and that's it for me, I'm not getting the Synapse blu ray of Suspiria, one blu ray is enough for me, if I play this game up upgrading blu rays it just prevents me from buying other films that I could spend that money on, when I already have a perfectly fine transfer of a film. I would rather buy something I never saw, than just rebuy and have 2 blu rays of the same movie. I mean if you let yourself you can become totally obsessive about movie collecting.

2. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

You just described probably 90% of the forum members.

Harry Warden and m@ggot like this.
  3. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

even though I have the 35th exhumed edition dvd I may still upgrade anyone get it early yet and how is the transfer of the new blu-ray

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

May 17th for Ruby.

It's currently up for pre-order.

elDomenechHDG likes this.
  5. fceurich39

6. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

8. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

So is this a worthwhile reissue?

9. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

It looks pretty decent in terms of color and black levels. It's not as washed out looking as the UK DVDs and it's a shade or two brighter than the US DVD. One thing I am noticing in those DVDBeaver screencaps... macroblocking artifacts.

The capture in the 6th comparison looks to be the worst of the bunch, in this regard, but I'm seeing some significant artifacts in the 1st, 2nd, and 7th comparisons as well. I'm hoping this isn't as noticeable in motion.

10. fceurich39

Picked it up today at my indie record store for 19.99 surprised to see it has 2 versions of the film on there also picture quality looks a lot better than dvds

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  11. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Children has been a favorite of mine since seeing it on midnight shows on UHF television. Just bought the blu from Diabolik today, and can't wait to get it in my grubby mits.

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

13. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Ian Jane of Rock! Shock! Pop! seems to disagree with Eric Cotenas of DVDBeaver on the DNR. Both say it's there, but Cotenas mentions visible grain textures, while Jane says there is no grain at all, with the image appearing waxy. Both seem to agree that the movie has never looked cleaner on home video, and considering that some had reservations about how it would look, I am pleasantly surprised by the screen grabs. Some of the images on the Rock! Shock! Pop! have dramatically blockier blacks than comparative ones on the Beaver review, though:

RSP: http://www.rockshockpop.com/screencaps/ChildenShouldntBlu/08-1.jpg

Beaver: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-...ren_shouldnt_play_dead_things_04_blu-ray_.jpg

Am I just seeing things, and if not, what's the technical explanation?

14. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

JPG, as an image file, already has compression so could be the difference in the way that DVDBeaver and Rock! Shock! Pop! saved the screengrabs, but could also be your monitor settings as black levels look the same to me on my computer on both of those grabs you linked to. Also, since they aren't the exact same frame grabs, it could also just be the actual compression on the disc...

15. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I realise that it isn't the same frame, but on my screen, the RSP has some very sharply defined blocks in the black areas, which the Beaver one doesn't. I would make sense that the compression by saving the file in a certain format could generate those ugly blocks - I'd be disappointed if it was indeed the compression on the actual disc.

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I watched the Blu-ray last night and it definitely looks like DNR to me. You can see very faint "traces" of grain every now and then, but if this was film you'd see a lot more... it's obviously been scrubbed. I have no explanation for the differences in the screen captures, but the transfer utilizes a relatively high bit-rate...albeit a VC-1 encode. I really didn't notice any poor compression artifacts while viewing it.

But with that being said, this is definitely the best the film has looked on any home video format. I popped in the old 35th Anniversary DVD to compare and it looks (and sounds) like crap in comparison.

Also, some over on the Blu-ray.com forum are reporting the audio is out of sync several times in the film. I really didn't notice this at all beyond perhaps a few lines perhaps being a few microseconds off sync with lips... it could be an isolated issue with certain players or something.

Steel76, fceurich39 and Kim Bruun like this.
  17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Katatonia likes this.
  19. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Ugh, VCI needs to cease and desist. They're dinosaurs - permanently stuck in the early 90's technologically speaking.

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Oh I don't know, for someone in their early 90's it's pretty impressive. o_O

I am curious now what the original master was like, because The Bowman Body had a pretty nice SD transfer of Horror Hotel on his DVD this past summer. I suspect it came from an HD master and if so would liked to see it at 1080p. I wonder where it came from?