Childs Play, Misery & Hannibal trilogy coming to Blu

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by rxfiend, May 28, 2009.

1. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2772

In an early announcement to retailers, it has been revealed that MGM Home Entertainment will release a set of highly-appreciated horror movies on September 15: 'Child's Play', 'Misery', and 'The Hannibal Lecter Anthology', which will include 'Manhunter', 'The Silence of the Lambs' and 'Hannibal'. No spec information is available at this time.

----

Kind of a piss poor line up from MGM. Only one I'd be interested in is Manhunter.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I really don't care about the entire anthology, so I hope they'll sell Manhunter seperately. But considering how MGM treated Manhunter on DVD, I doubt it.

Child's Play piques my interest too, but I'll wait and see what extras they'll include.

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

It'd be nice if they'd release something like Blow Out or Dressed to Kill.

~Matt

4. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

atleast the latest mgm dvd of manhunter is widescreen and is the true version not the edited anchor bay version

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/Manhunter/William-L-Petersen/e/027616085597/?itm=2

5. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

i second thatl,but it would be nice if they released a decent DVD of this...

6. Katatonia

7. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

here's where i seen the info about the anchor bay dvd being edited not sure about the director's cut but i think the dialogue is edited in that too although the anchor bay director's cut does include a couple more scenes i still prefer the mgm disc that came out in 2007

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091474/board/thread/134820249?d=134820249&p=1#134820249

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  8. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

It's actually quite confusing. You pretty much need to buy the movie three times to have every edition.

"Anchor Bay released a Limited Edition 2-DVD set in 2000 that featured an erroneously labeled "Theatrical Cut" (it actually omits some footage from the theatrical version and features some material from the "Director's Cut") and Mann's "Director's Cut" along with some retrospective featurettes. A standard edition (an individual release for the first disc of the 2-disc set) was also released at the same time.

In 2003, Anchor Bay released the "Restored Director's Cut" which is very close to the "Director's Cut" on the 2000 disc but omits one scene. It does, however, feature a commentary track by Mann.

In 2004, MGM (current holders of The Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal) released a pan and scanned version of the movie that was the one seen in theaters. Finally, in 2007 MGM released the theatrical cut in widescreen on DVD for the first time as part of "The Hannibal Lecter Collection" alongside The Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal. It was also released by itself on September 11, 2007."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhunter_(film)

So pretty much there are four versions out on DVD. There is the theatrical cut, the theatrical cut hybrid from the 2001 Anchor bay release, the Director's Cut from the 2001 release, and the Director's Cut from the 2003 release that omits a scene.

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  9. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

This cracks me up. I just bought Child's Play the other day to put my purchase just over $50 (I had a $50 rewardzone certificate). Oh well, I'll buy it again since I basically paid $2 for the DVD and two other blu-rays. And Manhunter, if it's released separately, will be another purchase.

And I agree with Matt, let's get some DePalma out on blu.

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah no kidding. I watched Dressed to Kill last week on my buddy's 46" Sony Bravia....looked like SHIT.

~Matt

11. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Don't forget the lenses and filters that were used by DePalma and many filmmakers during the period. Grainy, hazy, and foggy were common. But blu-ray should definitely improved detail, color, and audio. But I'm not holding my breath for a great improvement.

12. Sam

Sam Member

Luckily I never did buy the recent Child's Play DVD so this Blu Ray may be on the radar along with Manhunter. I'll stick to the SD DVD (and Criterion LD) of Silence of the Lambs.

13. blu

blu New Member

I already have the Silence of the Lambs BD but I'll definitely pick up Child's Play. Saw it on CinemaxHD earlier this year. Cheesy 80's goodness.

14. grodd

grodd New Member

Got Child's Play today. Very happy, the movie never looked better. Very solid upgrade over the HD Broadcast version. No DNR, lots of detail.

15. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I got Child's Play in today. It comes with the special edition DVD as well. Odd. And I still wish they released Manhunter separately.

16. Katatonia

Odd, but certainly more welcome than a crappy Digital Copy disc which I'd never use. At least they put all of the special features on the Blu-ray too, including the three Easter Eggs! :) They've included some DVD's with Blu-rays (Road House for example) and didn't even port the old Features onto the Blu-ray. So, if you wanted to watch the commentary there, you'd have to play the DVD...or somehow sync up the DVD to the Blu-ray while playing both discs.

I'm actually surprised that MGM/Fox didn't add the old Fullscreen DVD of Child's Play to be perfectly honest. They added the old DVD release to the Spaceballs Blu-ray, and not the newer Special Edition DVD.

17. rhett

rhett Administrator

The menu for Child's Play is really well done, too. Top marks all around for that one. Misery comes with the DVD too, but unlike Child's Play, the Blu-ray is bare bones while all the extras are on the DVD. I'd like to see more of that, though, because then you know you know you really can let go of your old DVD and never feel like you'll need it again.

18. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

While I don't have it myself, I've read that the Hannibal set is a disappointment, particularly with the transfers on Manhunter and especially on Hannibal. Anyone here pick this up?

19. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

Watched Child's Play this afternoon, It looks very soft in places and fairly good in others. Overall a decent transfer, Exactly how it looked theatrically back in 1988 I expect.

20. CaptHowdy

CaptHowdy Guest

They screwed the pooch with Misery, in my opinion. No special features on the Blu Ray, but repacked a DVD with it? WTF is that about? Very stupid move...I'm upgrading to get away from DVD, not be stuck with it because the studio is lazy.