Child's Play remake

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Sep 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Horror websites are constantly announcing all kinds of horror remakes or sequels, many of which never happen.

Unfortunately, this one just became official.

Cameras are currently rolling in Vancouver on the Child's Play remake, starring comedian Aubrey Plaza in the Catherine Hicks role. Directed by Lars Klevberg, director of Dimension's PG-13 teen horror Polaroid that was pulled from it's summer 2017 theatrical release and is now possibly being dumped on NetFlix. No word on if the Chucky character will be carried over, just that it's now a robot doll.

Personally, I'd be way more interested in Mancini's TV series that would continue from Cult Of Chucky. I'd imagine restarting the series puts the nail in the coffin for Mancini's sequels, which is a shame, because I thought the last two straight-to-disc sequels were pretty great.

Rest In Peace, the Chucky we know and love. :(

2. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

It looks like this remake / reboot / whatever is being developed by MGM / Orion, not Universal who've handled all subsequent Chucky films since Child's Play 2.

I have to wonder if there's some sort of split rights situation at hand. Something along the lines of MGM retains the rights to the original screenplay, but Universal gets the characters and sequel rights to the original film. Think Thunderball / Never Say Never Again.

If that's the case, this may not necessarily have a direct impact on Mancini's TV series idea.

Whatever the case may be, this sounds like a horrible idea.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

The Universal sequels stick with the Chucky naming convention so it's possible Mancini himself holds the character rights to Chucky. Or something similiar with New Line making Friday the 13th sequels without using the "Friday the 13th" part. With that said, it's possible the Child's Play remake won't even have Chucky!

4. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

You are correct.

5. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

6. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Looks OK to me, they captured the still and always iconic design.

7. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Yeah, bring it. I haven't enjoyed a CP film since...since...I mean, when I was a kid, CP2 and 3 were hilarious and fun to watch, but the later films wore on me as I got older. The concept will always have a special place in my evil heart.

Bring on a new vision.

8. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of the Chucky series and have been happy to see it being one of the only major horror franchises that has continued in its original continuity. It's pretty shitty to undermine the still ongoing series by producing this remake, only time I can think of where we'll have two timelines going at the same time for the same series (unless this remake bombs and it's a one and done).

But beyond all that, I don't think the evil robot idea is that great. It's just a random killer doll movie that they are slapping the Child's Play title on for name recognition. If you're going to do a remake, go with Mancini's original idea where Andy and Chucky become blood brothers. Make it a psychological horror film where you aren't sure if Chucky is real and acting out Andy's worst impulses or if Andy himself is deranged. Ever since I first heard that concept I liked it, but I'll still take the voodoo of the original series over a haywire robot.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  9. CPT HOOK

Trailer will be attached to The Prodigy next weekend.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm curious to see what this looks like. So far I've had very little interest in this, especially with the original franchise still alive and kicking.
    Plus I just remembered no Brad Dourif which sucks. Will be weird having Chucky sound different.

11. CPT HOOK

12. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Looks good. I like how they didn't show too much Chucky. Let's wait to hear what his voice sounds like though.....

13. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

That's a fun trailer. I actually like that they are trying a different direction for Chucky, rather than re-treading over the original film's core premise (the doll is possessed by a supernatural force). That version has already been done and done well. Better to try something new.

14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I found the trailer lame. Why hide the doll when we all know what he looks like? Heck, they even showed half his face in the initial poster but kept him completely cast in shadows in the trailer... I don't get it.

I also really wanted to hear his new voice as that could potentially make or break this for me and again, nothing. It's not looking too promising atm, like they're scared to show him.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want them to spoil the whole movie like a lot of trailers seem to like doing but this was not what I was expecting from the trailer.

15. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Love them for using Harry Nilsson's "Best Friend" as the theme music - hopefully that tongue-in-cheek tone extends to the actual movie. Based on the trailers I'm actually more interested in this than the Pet Sematary remake. My only reservation is that the kid looks kind of old to be interested in a Good Guy doll.

Natas likes this.
  16. sade

sade Active Member

I couldn't help hearing "Best Friend" sung by Cartman !

Workshed likes this.