Child's Play TV Series Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'General' started by Nailwraps, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Not a bad way to kick off the 30th anniversary!:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/348...ping-childs-play-television-series-exclusive/

"This year, the Tom Holland-directed Child’s Play celebrates its 30th anniversary. In the film penned by Don Mancini, a single mother gives her son a much sought-after doll for his birthday, only to discover that it is possessed by the soul of a serial killer. “Chucky” (voiced by Brad Dourif) would soon become a household name alongside other slasher greats that include Michael, Jason, Freddy, Pinhead, and Leatherface.

Mancini, who created the evil doll, would eventually go on to direct Seed of Chucky, Curse of Chucky, and last year’s Cult of Chucky, in which the title character slashed his way through an insane asylum. While the seventh film in the franchise ends on the perfect note, it does set up several ways for the series to continue.

Yesterday, we posted an article in which Mancini joked about a WWII-set Child’s Play film. While entirely joking (Mancini has bundles of fun and absurd concepts), he is, in fact, developing a continuation of the series.

Mancini tells Bloody Disgusting exclusively that he and franchise producer David Kirschner are currently developing a “Child’s Play” television series!

Mancini tells us that the series was “deliberately set up at end of the last movie,” while further adding that the “tone is dark and disturbing.”

“We plan to use Child’s Play in the title,” Mancini explained. “We want to definitely signal that we are going dark, darker than ever before. It’s going to be very creepy.”

Using the original “Child’s Play” title is exciting because it signals that the series will once again involve kids. Oh, and Mancini confirmed that Dourif will once again return to voice Chucky!

We connected with Kirschner soon after, who stated that it won’t be a reboot and will be a continuation story, while also reflecting back on his 30-year relationship with Mancini.

“I don’t think there’s a relationship that lasted this long,” he stated. “I’m incredibly excited about the series and to explore a world in which we’ve never done before.

“Don has taken the franchise in a wonderfully frightening direction,” Kirschner added. “He seems to outdo himself every time.”

In television, Mancini has been a writer-producer on Bryan Fuller’s “Hannibal”, on the SyFy anthology horror series “Channel Zero”, created by Nick Antosca (who also previously worked on “Hannibal”). Last August, Antosca told us he has other projects in the works, including one with Mancini. Could this “Child’s Play” TV series be that project? The mind boggles at the possibilities.

It’s important to note that this doesn’t mean an end to the film franchise. For right now, the focus is on an 8-part, hourlong series that will keep Chucky canon. Will we see Tiffany? Glen/da? All of that is being kept under wraps for now, but one thing is for certain, Chucky is going to be our friend ’til the end…"

Workshed, Natas and Zombie Dude like this.
  2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Not sure how this will turn out or the direction of will go in considering where Cult left us but it has me interested. Hopefully another future project is another theatrical film. The dtv sequels have been surprisingly solid but a bigger budget will at least give us a better looking and more animated Chucky.

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Does not sound good to me.

4. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

While I'm glad for Chucky fans that the series keeps building on itself, I do think a TV series is a perfect way to reboot and make this fresh again for the rest of us.

Natas likes this.
  5. Zombie Dude

The tv series is said to be a continuation though. Or are you saying that's what they should be doing?

6. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Right. I'm saying it's great for the fans but not the best way to garner wider appeal. Maybe they don't need that, tho. Kinda like Ash v. Evil Dead. Lean into the fanbase and continuity.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. Zombie Dude

Yeah I get that. I mean I watched Cult of Chucky for a second time and actually found it pretty enjoyable. Especially when you consider it was made dtv. I get a little disappointed by the things they don't really give us much answers for and the dolls don't look quite as good but it could be much worse like the Hellraiser series for example.
    I dont mind the idea of a tv show to continue a bit of the story but if they want to do a reboot at some stage I definitely think it should be cinematic. That being said if say Netflix were to do a remake tv show with some good money I'd be happy with that too.

Workshed likes this.